Question about Verizon 4G SIM Card

nwasquad

Reaction score
So I bought a used TB off ebay and it came with the prior user's SIM card. I took it out because I wanted a new SIM card associated with my number, and the seller told me I could obtain one for free at any VZ store when activating the phone.

When I went into a store to try to activate it, they told me

1) The SIM card was not free; it was about $20
2) They also told me if I had the prior user's SIM card, it could be "reset" to my number.

I looked online and saw on VZ's website that you could request a new SIM card via mail but it didnt tell you where to go (or provide the link) to request a mailed card.

Is the SIM card really free? Was the ebay seller lying to me or was the Verizon rep? And if I bring in the old user's SIM, can I really get it "reset" to my number?

Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
well if the VZW said those two things, they should be true, unless they're a lying employee.

If i were you I'd just have it reset to your number, that way it should be free.

Beka27

Reaction score
Verizon isn't really in the business of "giving things for free". I'm not surprised that they charge $20 for a new SIM. But... if they can reset the old one, do it.

OP
N

nwasquad

Reaction score
Well the thing is, I bought one for a friend last week off ebay as well, and we went in together to activate his phone while I played with the TB and Droid Charge to see which one I wanted for myself, and although he was coming from a 3g phone, they provided his SIM card free (which is why I thought it was always free)

I also thought the SIM card was free since you can request to have it mailed (I just dont see the link for it, but that is the answer given on Verizon's website in their FAQ)

**edit**

I also threw out the prior user's SIM card so I'd have to go digging through some trash to find it. I'd prefer a concrete answer from someone (if anyone knows) before I put myself through the trash digging process. Thanks.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
I got a free SIM card at my local Verizon store. Try another store, talk to the manager, etc.

OP
N

nwasquad

Reaction score
By any chance does it make a difference if I am coming from a BB plan (non business though)? I just ask because I know previously when there was discussion about the unlimited data plans, people were saying BB plans did not count and transfer over as "Droid" data plans and thus you'd have to have a Droid to be grandfathered into unlimited data

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't see why a BB as a former device would matter when it comes to SIM cards. Never take the word of a single CSR no matter who the carrier is. Every phone discussion forum website has countless "clueless CSR" stories from every carrier. Always check with multiple CSR's and corroborate.

VZW_CS

Reaction score
NWASquad, I saw your post and thought I could be of some assistance. Sim cards are free of charge, and cannot be "reset" to your number. It sounds like you may have visited a Verizon Wireless authorized retailer and not a Verizon Wireless Corporate Store. I apologize that you were given the wrong information. The way you can order a SIM card online is by signing into your My Verizon account, choose Activate a Phone, then enter the Device ID for the phone (normally starting with 9900). The next screen will give you the option to enter your current SIM card number or to have one sent to you. Again, this is free of charge.

Hope that helps!

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport!