Parents bought a prepaid VZW phone, can this be used with their actual VZW acct?

velocity92c

Reaction score
My parents phone broke and they didn't make it to the VZW store in time tonight so they bought a prepaid VZW phone. I opened the phone and it doesn't have a sim card, it has the same type of number that was used to activate my Droid. Can they have this phone activated on their VZW acct? They are going out of town tomorrow at 8 AM and this would save them the money of using prepaid minutes until they get back in town to get a new phone properly with their available upgrade. Thanks in advance for any help.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The answer is for a pre-paid phone, it has had to have been used as a pre-paid phone for 6 months before it can be re-activated on a post-paid account.

phydx2

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that if you don't activate it as a prepaid, and go through the Verizon website's self-serve activation process for your parents' account, you can use it as a replacement phone. No harm in trying!

I got a prepaid with the same thought and made the mistake of turning it on and activating it as a prepaid, then was told it was 6 months from the the end of the prepaid period before it could be used as a replacement phone.

The answer is for a pre-paid phone, it has had to have been used as a pre-paid phone for 6 months before it can be re-activated on a post-paid account.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that if you don't activate it as a prepaid, and go through the Verizon website's self-serve activation process for your parents' account, you can use it as a replacement phone. No harm in trying!

I got a prepaid with the same thought and made the mistake of turning it on and activating it as a prepaid, then was told it was 6 months from the the end of the prepaid period before it could be used as a replacement phone.

The ESN number will flag the VZW system that it is a prepaid phone. It won't work.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I had my mothers prepaid Alltel phone put on my account. Funny, they couldn't convert my dads LG prepaid Alltel phone but they could my mothers.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

phydx2

Reaction score
If you say so... but a lot of people here say otherwise...

@Walmart.com $12 Samsung u350 / Smooth Cell for Verizon Prepaid or use as replacement $10 to store or +$1.94 to home

The trick is to do it through the website, not over the phone and not at the store, and before you actually turn the phone on.

The ESN number will flag the VZW system that it is a prepaid phone. It won't work.

disassemble

Reaction score
yes it works my friend did it yesterday here in NJ.
bought cheap prepaid from bestbuy and went online and switched his esn etc....

cooll trick.. i never thought of it before he showed me!
dancedroid:greendroid::heart: