How's this for a plan?

b7673584

Reaction score
What I want: 4G, latest Andriod (2.3.3?) smartphone suited for my uses: (ordered from most common uses to least) internet, games, tethering, programming/development, apps, calls, IM.

I think the most suited phone for me is the Xperia Play.

I believe that I'll meeet 100 minutes, 20 texts, and 2GB a month. I want to save money where I can. I want the most cost efficient way to get it so,
here's my plan:
1. buy unlocked GSM white Xperia Play, UK imported (~$450)
2. buy T-Mobile SIM card + Whenever minutes (~$10/month)
3. buy AT&T 2GB data plan, upgrade to tethering when needed, use 15% employee discount ($21.25-->$38.25/month)

I am doing it this way instead of contracting with Verzion because I think I can save money by avoiding a talk plan by using T-Mobile's prepaid minutes. Xperia Play using a T-Mobile SIM card is only available through AT&T, which also offers the cheapest data plan, so I need to stick with them.

Are there any faults to this idea? Are there any restrictions that I should know about that will prevent this plan from working? Am I really saving money?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about taxes which add a ton to your bill.

Are you going to have 2 SIM cards? One for T Mobile and one for AT&T?

Apex 2.0 Revolution

OP
B

b7673584

Reaction score
I didn't know that using AT&T's data plan would require another SIM card. Is the Xperia Play able to hold multiple SIM cards? If not, swapping SIM cards whenever I need my phone to switch functions would be quite a hassle.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can use 1 carrier at a time. You have 1 SIM slot.

If you're buying an unlocked device from the UK then why are you signing up for service with 2 different carriers? at&t won't sell you data without voice service.