Convince me of a Droid over an Iphone...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you live in a 4G area?

That matters if you get a 4G phone. From my view the TB isn't slow. My upgrade from a Droid1 is probably going to be a Droid3 or a Dinc2.

Either would be great as a starter for you.

Do you mind the size of the TB or X? 4.3 doesn't fit in my pocket well (blue collar folk here) so lugging that around all day isn't my idea of a good time. That's why I'm going with a 4" max screen size.

alboboy10

Reaction score
As a fellow engineer I would advise u on an android. Engineers and iphones just don't go together. The iphone is too simple and not functional enough.

If u want to be grandfathered in 4g you need a 4g phone. Tell verizon your concern, I'm sure they can help u out with the bionic as well when it comes out. They want you to stay with them they'll do anything

You don't need a 4G phone. Any smartphone will do.

I did not know that. :/

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned this. What you want to do is go on eBay or craigslist an get yourself a used D1. Sign it up with Verizon and boom you are grandfathered in then you can sign a 2 year contract and get your bionic for the new contract price. Have to really hurry though as you only have til the 7th.

Verizon may have some refurbs that you can do the same with.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
You can do much more with android. Multitasking is a big advantage, I love how with android I don't have to look at my apps 24/7, I hate that with the iPhone. With android you have choices for a device instead of just one phone. To me I would like to get a droid x2. I lean more toward motorola because I like their build quality. They feel like they'll last. I know with htc and other manufacturers they have more freedom with software so you can do more hacking.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
A few people have had problems with the memory allocation with the X2 but a few people have fixed that by rooting/jailbreaking it and running the V6 Supercharger. After that they've usually been completely pleased with the phone. I'm running it with my original X and it is running faster then it usually did. Can't say much about the Inc2 since I haven't really looked at it or followed with it.

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid Incredible 2 seems like the most reliable phone out now. I have not heard many good things about the x2. I am curious about Droid 3 and bionic also.

Sent from my fascinate

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
A phone should be good out of the box. One shouldn't have to root to fix a device. At this point rooting should be for modifications, themes, open access, etc. I bought the fascinate knowing that it had problems I could fix with root...but I wish I just got a better out of box phone.

Sent from my fascinate

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
A phone should be good out of the box. One shouldn't have to root to fix a device. At this point rooting should be for modifications, themes, open access, etc. I bought the fascinate knowing that it had problems I could fix with root...but I wish I just got a better out of box phone.

Sent from my fascinate

Might as well buy an iphone then.... Every phone has imperfections whether you'd like to admit it or not. In my eyes rooting just opens up the door to making your phone that much better then out of the box. Just how I see it though.
And I do know the iphone does have some imperfections but usually it differs from phone to phone as I've seen it. It's not the whole line or almost the whole line of the phone has something wrong.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
If you are looking to get in on the "unlimited" data plan, and want a "rugged" Android based phone, then you might want to give the Commando a look. Mil Specs, rugged case, water resistant and it runs Android 2.2...with a fair amount of speed and memory as well.

If not the Commando, then I would suggest getting a used Droid X...can be had for less than $150 if you shop right...and its a hell of a phone even being a year old now. Easily one of the best phones released in the last year, and it too can take a hell of a beating...I too am a diesel mechanic(for Uncle Sam), and I abuse mine fairly regularly....

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Another engineer here (civil) and love my droid 1. Never handled a iphone but have heard enough about it from friends and family to know I will never go down that road. With out the bionic, you have a tough decision to make in the next few days. If I had to get a new phone by the 7th, I would probably go for the X2.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tuffD1

Reaction score
Finally someone mentioned the Casio Commando. If your like me, banging the phone against tables, rubbing against keys, dropping from hands, handled by greasy/dirty hands, used in the rain, being left in a vehicle with 120° interior, then the g'zone commando is the android phone for you. Unless you want to risk all this with a moto droid #1, like mine ;)

alboboy10

Reaction score
Another engineer here (civil) and love my droid 1. Never handled a iphone but have heard enough about it from friends and family to know I will never go down that road. With out the bionic, you have a tough decision to make in the next few days. If I had to get a new phone by the 7th, I would probably go for the X2.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Civil here too!

seventystangfan

Reaction score

Sent from my fascinate

Might as well buy an iphone then.... Every phone has imperfections whether you'd like to admit it or not. In my eyes rooting just opens up the door to making your phone that much better then out of the box. Just how I see it though.
And I do know the iphone does have some imperfections but usually it differs from phone to phone as I've seen it. It's not the whole line or almost the whole line of the phone has something wrong.

But when a phone is incredible *ahem* out of the box, think of how much more it will be rooted!

On the note that a large screen may be cumbersome for an engineer to carry around in a pocket, the bionic is rumored to have a 4.5 inch screen last I checked... Maybe even more of a pain?

Ruggedness+ in my opinion otterboxes are the way to go.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
S

Smokinram

Reaction score
If you are looking to get in on the "unlimited" data plan, and want a "rugged" Android based phone, then you might want to give the Commando a look. Mil Specs, rugged case, water resistant and it runs Android 2.2...with a fair amount of speed and memory as well.

If not the Commando, then I would suggest getting a used Droid X...can be had for less than $150 if you shop right...and its a hell of a phone even being a year old now. Easily one of the best phones released in the last year, and it too can take a hell of a beating...I too am a diesel mechanic(for Uncle Sam), and I abuse mine fairly regularly....

I am glad the Casio Commando was mentioned. I have two friends who have it and they said the biggest flaw is the speed and sensitivity of the touch screen. I've read reviews and they are not so hot.

Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about the Commando? Its truly the perfect phone for me. Reason I say this is I have been using Casio Ruggedized phones for the last four years and I really put them to the test daily.

Still a difficult decision.