Should I return my Razr for a Galaxy Nexus??

OP
brightside

brightside

Reaction score
Ah, it's Friday and the Galaxy Nexus still hasn't been released. Go Figure...

Zandar

Reaction score
Haha good luck with that. Between making it jive with blur and having to deal with stupid verizon dragging their feet, you're not going to see ics or an unlocked bootloader for months.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
This doesn't bother me that much since I'll have this phone for at least a year and a half; maybe two. If it take 3 extra months to get the software I want, so be it. That said, I really have no issue with the software as is. The major thing I wanted from ICS was the camera improvements, and with the ability to swipe to the camera from the lockscreen and the super fast shutter, I'm now only waiting for ICS for the cool UI tweaks (which are fun, but don't really affect my day to day usage).

pyro6128

Reaction score
If one of the things you're after is the lockscreen to camera, check out widget locker or golocker. Both have an ics theme and will let you get directly to the camera from the lockscreen. Also let's you get directly to the dialer or text messaging app.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
There is no chance I would give up my Razr, I love it more than any Droid I have ever had. And would never trade it for that plastic gumball machine phone, its the same thing except a little better resolution screen. For me I love the Razr screen and don't mind any of the "issues" other people have. And that Nexus seems overly big for me and I have big hands, plus I don't want to be in the ICS beta because I am sure the list of bugs will be long.

pyro6128

Reaction score
You realize the nexus has been out for a bit now and the only ics bug that's been found is the volume issue which is already fixed. Let's not kid ourselves that the razr is going to get some uber version of ics that is pristine. In all likelyhood it will get either the same version as the nexus, or a version or 2 behind depending on if the nexus gets updates in that timeframe. Just trying to make sure were all thinking with our heads here and not just trying to justify purchases. But yea if you're not interested in ics or the dev community, there isn't really a reason to switch.

Edit: that's not to say they may not find any bugs, but its looking good as of now

Last edited:

Zandar

Reaction score
I don't get the hate towards either device. Nexus devices are always awesome, and the RAZR is about the best design for a smartphone since the OG Droid. I was planning on getting the Galaxy Nexus, but Amazon's $0.01 sale on the RAZR changed my mind. In any case, what's to hate on with either device? Both are dual core, 4GLTE Android handsets made by premium makers and running on Verizon. The GNex has the better screen (though it might not matter in practise), NFC and the advantage of vanilla Android and an unencrypted bootloader. The RAZR has a higher mp camera (though it might not matter in practise), removable storage, and the better form factor (if you think the GNex is a sexier device, you need your eyes checked).

Both are top-notch phones. Anyone who says, "X is WAY better than Y!" isn't being objective. I would personally probably have more fun with the GNex (unless they open up the bootloader on the RAZR), but I would recomend the RAZR over the GNex to almost any of my associates. But either device is a top-tier, second to none Android experience. You really can't lose with either phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't get the hate towards either device. Nexus devices are always awesome, and the RAZR is about the best design for a smartphone since the OG Droid. I was planning on getting the Galaxy Nexus, but Amazon's $0.01 sale on the RAZR changed my mind. In any case, what's to hate on with either device? Both are dual core, 4GLTE Android handsets made by premium makers and running on Verizon. The GNex has the better screen (though it might not matter in practise), NFC and the advantage of vanilla Android and an unencrypted bootloader. The RAZR has a higher mp camera (though it might not matter in practise), removable storage, and the better form factor (if you think the GNex is a sexier device, you need your eyes checked).

Both are top-notch phones. Anyone who says, "X is WAY better than Y!" isn't being objective. I would personally probably have more fun with the GNex (unless they open up the bootloader on the RAZR), but I would recomend the RAZR over the GNex to almost any of my associates. But either device is a top-tier, second to none Android experience. You really can't lose with either phone.

Exactly...

Kimo91

Reaction score
I mean really? I hate seeing these "should I trade x phone for y phone" threads. I wanna retort by asking "do you prefer a hit to the groin or a hit to the head?" Why should we as a whole tell one how they should live their lives or in this case how to spend their money. Why can't people do research before getting something, but instead get buyers remorse after making commitment for 2 years.

I did my research for months and if I purchase either phones how will I justify owning either choice for 2 years and will I love it right off the bat or will I learn to love it down the road. I chose the Razr over the GNex for many reasons but one of the main reasons is that Motorola hasn't done me wrong and I've only owned 3 Samsung phones and each of those gave me major problems and I grew tired of their unreliable products. So what if GNex gets ICS right off the bat and the Razr and other new phones have to wait to get it down the road. Is a newer OS that important to people to where their lives will change forever? Or can one wait for the newer OS? does one really need the latest and greatest or does one need to feed into any hype?

I just don't get these threads or why fanboys of any particular product need to hijack threads to put down another product. But in the end if you have post a question like this maybe you don't need to spend your money on something you're going to regret mere hours or days later.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would choose the head any day of the week.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the 11th? I was gonna say 9th but forgot what day it was...

Now that I think about it....releasing on a Sunday would be kinda odd.

sonnydroid

Reaction score
I thought it was the 11th? I was gonna say 9th but forgot what day it was...

Now that I think about it....releasing on a Sunday would be kinda odd.

I hope it's on the 11th but according to a few sources, you can even google it too, it's very likely to be released on the 15th.

Read this article from Droid-Life.
http://bit.ly/vgLnmo

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
I'm really glad to see so many positive opinions on the Razr. I think it's great for the advancement of Android in general. When the threads are titled that you're thinking of going to an iDevice instead, then I worry.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Are you using the drills 12 hours a day with daily recharging. Lithium battery life span depends primarily on charging cycles. The standard is 300-500 cycles. With a 4G phone, that's certainly less than 2 years because to the need to constantly recharge. In any case, having a user replaceable battery, or even a battery easily and conveniently replaceable at nominal cost adds a great deal to the useful life of the phone. Having to send the phone in to Motorola and pay at least (they couldn't be more specific) $110 doesn't meet that requirement for.

But fell free to simply get a new phone any time the battery fail after the one year warranty. Many people don't think that's good value.

I use my drills most everyday, being in construction I use them alot, and lithium has no 300-500 charge lifespan, you are thinking of NiCad batteries, and I had a Moto dx1 almost since launch and it still runs the original battery at 100%, if Omaha didn't get 4g I would still be using that and still charging it every night, all night, and in the truck, so I have complete confidence in the batteries, I'm also somewhat of a flashlight nerd, and not many people know batteries like flashaholics

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited: