Razr v. Nexus upgrade

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
I was called by Verizon for a possible upgrade. I currently have a Thunderbolt and I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with it. So I was offered the chance to upgrade to either the Razr or the Galaxy Nexus. I realize that I'm posting this on the Razr forum so it might be a little biased, but I'm asking for as objective opinion as possible. What do you think is the better phone, in general? With regards to OS, speed, UI, preinstalled software etc... Personally, I'm leaning towards the Razr just because my first Android phone was a Droid and I loved the UI. I don't care for the HTC UI and I don't know anything about the Samsung UI. Opinions?

Reaction score
I am receiving by nexus in exchange for the bionic tomorrow. I will let you know what I think of the two side by side, since I think the bionic is very similar to the Razr as far as ui, speed and os go. Of course the Razr owners may disagree, but I have used both (wife had a Razr) and they are pretty similar.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You will get bias answers over here in the RAZR forums :) but I will say they are 2 great phones. You can read and ask around in the Nexus forums for opinions on that phone.

I will say that if you decide to get the RAZR you will be VERY satisfied. Right out of the box it is an excellent phone. I've owned it since 11/10/11 and have yet to have anything negative to say about it. The latest update didn't negatively impact it all all (some report it improved it in regards to reception)

It's a very unique looking handset as well. So if you are looking for a stellar device right out the box, the RAZR will not let you down. Great phone, A+

Androidatic

Reaction score
The strength of Motorola phones is their radios and ability to get and hold a week signal. Motorola is also known for a high quality build of their phones.

Samsung generally has better software and if having ICS right now is a must, you have only one choice.

For me, having an SD card was a must so I went with the Razr. Also, I didn't want to be an ICS beta tester so it was easy to rule out the Nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

doggy2965

Reaction score
I've had both like RAZR better solely based on radio reception was very weak on nexus. I have Maxx version with its battery and better reception it is clearly better for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

eddie7

Reaction score
I agree with the having the SD card slot. I probably will never use all 32 gigs on my SD. But i luv knowing that its there if I need it. Razr is a very solid phone and will have ICS sometime this year. :icon_ banana:

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
I have a nexus but if I was getting a phone right now I would probably get the RAZR maxx because of the battery life. Not sure if the maxx is an option for you or not

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Isak73

Reaction score
I personally have the Nexus and have nothing bad to say about the Razr but if you like to change roms and root your phone the Nexus has stronger developer support. With the Gummy Nex rom im getting incredible battery life and I've flashed the new radios which improved drastically in my calling. If your not into that sort of thing I would go with Motorola but I will say ICS is fast and smooth and you shouldn't be disappointed either way.

Reaction score
This is just my experience. But I dumped my Bionic for the Nexus in December. After having ICS, 2.3.x is like going from Vista or Windows 7 to Windows 95 (that example goes to a gentleman on the galaxynexusforum.com).

But I was apprehensive about the lack of SD card too. But I hage to be honest, it's not bad like I thought. I can throw my stuff in the cloud and backup on my computer (which, I did the later anyway already).

As far as signal, I actually have better reception with the Nexy than I did my Bionic - and I do know you are talking about the RAZR/RAZR MAXX. So my example was only what I knew. Hope that was ok.

But the main reason I ditched Moto was slow updates and their BS about the bootloaders. They don't want to let the bootloaders on their phones in the States unlockable and pin it off on VZW not letting them. The Nexy is a prime example that VZW DOES allow unlockable bootloaders. And the leaked 4.0.4 update makes the reception on the Nexy a lot better. So mine went from great to friggin awesome. I also HATE Blur and wish Moto would let the user CHOOSE to load Blur on not with a check box in settings. It's easy to do. Sammy did it with my Omnia II. I was able to uncheck "Load TouchWiz (R).

But, Moto DOES have the best hardware hands down. I hooe they make another phone like the OG. Granted, it won't be a "Droid Nexus." But if they did, I would jump on it. But in the mean time, I am happy with my decision and thumb my nose at Moto.

This was just my experience and opinion. So I hope it was objective for you. I did make an effort to keep it as such :). But the decision is solely yours. It's a decision that you know would be right for you. And this is a great resource for objectiveness.

Here
is
my
five
lines. ( "King of the Self-Edit'" )

pabowhunter

Reaction score
I own both.. 2 great phones that I could not decide between... So I bought both and have to pay the piper... I will say this and im being as honest and non bias as possible the Razr has a slightly better antenna... But ICS is amazing. So if you live or work or play in a spotty reception area I suggest the Razr.. If you spend most of time in strong signal area I say ......... Heck I don't know buy both.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Better phone, over all, in general, out the box? I would give that to the RAZR. I'm a man with simple wants, simple needs. And the RAZR fits that better than the G Nex I had. Data issues can be seen from all LTE phones on Verizon. The other things with these phones...I feel the RAZR is better for the most part for the things thats not preference, like reception, call quality. Screen, feel in hand, etc...all preference. OS, speed, UI... what I will say is Moto did a good job with Blur on top of Gingerbread. And ICS is a very nice change of pace from stock Android on phones before ICS.

And I agree about the Maxx at this point in time. That massive battery cant be beat.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
I've had the razr and now the Nexus.

The nexus is just a better phone in my opinion.

Bigger better screen more options to play with and more customisable.

Just my opinion.

Androidatic

Reaction score
I've had the razr and now the Nexus.

The nexus is just a better phone in my opinion.

Bigger better screen more options to play with and more customisable.

Just my opinion.

Everybody has one. An opinion that is. ;)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I was called by Verizon for a possible upgrade. I currently have a Thunderbolt and I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with it. So I was offered the chance to upgrade to either the Razr or the Galaxy Nexus. I realize that I'm posting this on the Razr forum so it might be a little biased, but I'm asking for as objective opinion as possible. What do you think is the better phone, in general? With regards to OS, speed, UI, preinstalled software etc... Personally, I'm leaning towards the Razr just because my first Android phone was a Droid and I loved the UI. I don't care for the HTC UI and I don't know anything about the Samsung UI. Opinions?
First of all, dont make comparisons to the original Droid. The only thing most Droid phones have in common is the name and the fact that they all use Android. It is really just a brand name owned by Verizon. You are buying the name and red-robot-eye themeing. The Droid Razr has almost NOTHING in common with the original Droid. In fact, both the Rezound and Nexus probably have more in common with it (the Nexus is Vanilla Android like the Droid 1 was, and the Rezound has both removable battery and SD)

IMO, the Nexus is better. Much better display (the Razr is the only tier1 phone without a 720p display, and thats not good IMO), removable battery, Embedded NFC and Vanilla Android. And if you ever decide to root, obviously it will be much easier on the Nexus.

The only real reason to get a Razr is if you really want a thin and light phone. Thats it's only real appeal IMO. In every other respect, the other tier1 phones are as good or better. And if you dont care for the HTC UI, I cant imagine you will be thrilled with the Motoblur that pollutes the Razr.

(The Razr would still be a big leap over the Thunderbolt though...the Razr does not suck, it just isnt as good as it's peers)

Androidatic

Reaction score
First of all, dont make comparisons to the original Droid. The only thing most Droid phones have in common is the name and the fact that they all use Android. It is really just a brand name owned by Verizon. You are buying the name and red-robot-eye themeing. The Droid Razr has almost NOTHING in common with the original Droid. In fact, both the Rezound and Nexus probably have more in common with it (the Nexus is Vanilla Android like the Droid 1 was, and the Rezound has both removable battery and SD)

IMO, the Nexus is better. Much better display (the Razr is the only tier1 phone without a 720p display, and thats not good IMO), removable battery, Embedded NFC and Vanilla Android. And if you ever decide to root, obviously it will be much easier on the Nexus.

The only real reason to get a Razr is if you really want a thin and light phone. Thats it's only real appeal IMO. In every other respect, the other tier1 phones are as good or better. And if you dont care for the HTC UI, I cant imagine you will be thrilled with the Motoblur that pollutes the Razr.

(The Razr would still be a big leap over the Thunderbolt though...the Razr does not suck, it just isnt as good as it's peers)

I hate vanilla Android. It's plain and boring. I much prefer the little enhancements that Blur adds.

IMO, the Razr is the best of the Rezound, Nexus and Razr. But that's just my opinion.