Nexus or Razr?

Reaction score
samsung does make good stuff and crappy stuff. i like my GN of course, but am disappointed they put such nice hardware into the cheapest looking phone on planet earth.

Flandry

Reaction score
You've not given any information on your wife's preferences other than color. So the "get her what she wants" advice is the only valid advice that can be offered. These phones each have strengths and weaknesses that make them better and worse for different people. Is she tech savvy? Is she a heavy user? Is she hard on gear? What does she do the most with her phone? Answers to questions such as these would make it easier to make a recommendation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
samsung does make good stuff and crappy stuff. i like my GN of course, but am disappointed they put such nice hardware into the cheapest looking phone on planet earth.

So how would you make it look more expensive? Glass back like iPhone? That makes the phone more fragile. Kevlar back like razr? That's just another name for plastic. Sure you can add diamonds and gold plating but then nobody would be able to afford it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So how would you make it look more expensive? Glass back like iPhone? That makes the phone more fragile. Kevlar back like razr? That's just another name for plastic. Sure you can add diamonds and gold plating but then nobody would be able to afford it.

Yea...I think the cheapest looking phone on the planet is this lil regular cellphone my daughter has...I dont even know what OS its running. I dont even know who its made by...lol.

When I had the G Nex, one thing that I did like was the build quality. Didnt seem or feel cheap to me. And this is from someone that really likes Motorola phones. Have the Droid 1, Droid X1, and RAZR.

chef

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my two cents. I have the Nexus and my wife had the original incredible. When it came time for her to upgrade I tried to get her to get the rezound. I figured she just wanted a non rooted phone and the reviews for the rezound always seemed better than the Nexus. We went to the store and she probably spent about half an hour on the rezound. She had already had experience with my phone and I figured that with sense she would pick the Rezound hands down. She went with the nexus and hasn't been happier. Just let your wife pick. It will be her phone after all.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea...I think the cheapest looking phone on the planet is this lil regular cellphone my daughter has...I dont even know what OS its running. I dont even know who its made by...lol.

When I had the G Nex, one thing that I did like was the build quality. Didnt seem or feel cheap to me. And this is from someone that really likes Motorola phones. Have the Droid 1, Droid X1, and RAZR.

I was all Moto before as well and I think the Nexus build quality is great!

twright86

Reaction score
They sure do make some good stuff (GNex), and some crappy stuff (Samsung tvs).

My parents have a 46 inch samsung that has been nothing but problems, that's why I went with a 47 inch LG. I do have a 23" samsung LCD computer monitor, and this thing has been pretty awesome. Although it's much sweeter when original price 299.99 from best buy, then marked down to 179.00 because of open box, and then marked down even further because the lady who was ringing me out thought they didn't put an open box discount on it, so I payed like 149.99 for a 299.99 monitor with nothing wrong with it, but I digress.

Not a fanboy of any company, I just like what fits me best. Went moto for the first 2 android phones I ever owned (D1,D2G), then moved onto the Gnex this year.

Last edited:

NOVICE

Reaction score
Can't speak to the signal quality of Razr...but have had significant problems with GNexus. I think I've remedied problem by removing heavy duty case. But if you rely on internet might want to avoid GNexus until problems are remedied. Beautiful phone though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Justabajabum

Reaction score
When I was eligible to upgrade from my OD in December, I was excited at the prospects of both the GN and the RAZR. In the end, I went for the RAZR because:

1. Felt more solid in my hands than the GN. The back of the GN feels so damn cheap it isn't funny. I could pop the back of it off with my fingernail. In fact, the demo unit in-store had it's back half-on. Also, when looking at the front of the unit, I could see odd waves of the plastic in the corners...like it wasn't assembled correctly. Finally, the GN looked beat up. And it wasn't because it got more handling from perspective buyers...it just doesn't fair as well when compared to the RAZR, under constant handling and abuse.

2. All the extras. My RAZR came with the usual compliment of chargers at purchase...but after a mail-in rebate I also got a portable battery re-charge pack, HDMI cable, and multimedia docking station. I also ran out and bought a GPS windshield mount made specifically for my RAZR from Motorola that when RAZR is inserted, automatically launches into a previously unavailable NAV screen on the phone.

3. I simply asked the personnel selling the phones, which one is selling better (They indicated RAZR had an edge at that point)...and...which one is being returned more often because of "issues" (real or imagined)...and the answer was the GN by far.

However....after getting the RAZR, I need to be completely honest and say that (after my 14 day return period was over), I was shocked to find that many GPS apps were not working properly. I can gladly report however, that the .173 updates resolved that issue....

BTW, I am happily rooted on this RAZR too thanks to Mattlgroff's 1.2 utility and instructions....and can use titanium backup to remove the bloatware...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
They sure do make some good stuff (GNex), and some crappy stuff (Samsung tvs).

My parents have a 46 inch samsung that has been nothing but problems, that's why I went with a 47 inch LG. I do have a 23" samsung LCD computer monitor, and this thing has been pretty awesome. Although it's much sweeter when original price 299.99 from best buy, then marked down to 179.00 because of open box, and then marked down even further because the lady who was ringing me out thought they didn't put an open box discount on it, so I payed like 149.99 for a 299.99 monitor with nothing wrong with it, but I digress.

Not a fanboy of any company, I just like what fits me best. Went moto for the first 2 android phones I ever owned (D1,D2G), then moved onto the Gnex this year.

So because your parents had 1 Samsung tv that had problems you can say they make "crappy" tv's?

Sorry, that's a unreasonable statement.

Samsung is known as one of, if not the best large panel display manufacturer on the planet. I have 6 50''+ Samsungs(2 plasmas, 3 LCDs, 1 LED) in my home and only one's ever been serviced for a replacement back light.

I've used LG monitors for 10 years and have had to replace 3 so far, but I still use them because they make the best looking 24-30'' IPS monitors other than NEC's which sell for 1k+.

Sorry, I just don't like to see someone bash an entire company's line of products because they've had one bad experience with one of their products, it's just not a reasonable statement.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So because your parents had 1 Samsung tv that had problems you can say they make "crappy" tv's?

Sorry, that's a unreasonable statement.

Samsung is known as one of, if not the best large panel display manufacturer on the planet. I have 6 50''+ Samsungs(2 plasmas, 3 LCDs, 1 LED) in my home and only one's ever been serviced for a replacement back light.

I've used LG monitors for 10 years and have had to replace 3 so far, but I still use them because they make the best looking 24-30'' IPS monitors other than NEC's which sell for 1k+.

Sorry, I just don't like to see someone bash an entire company's line of products because they've had one bad experience with one of their products, it's just not a reasonable statement.

Even tho me and him are on opposite ends where as I like Samsung TV's and monitors more than their phones.... I wouldnt go as far as to say Samsung phones are crappy. And I agree with you. For real...there was nothing really wrong with my G Nex...it just couldn't get 4G where my RAZR and Rezound could. Phone reception started out fine, thats what made me keep my G Nex for the entire 14 day exchange time, wasnt really worrying about data reception. When that went downhill I just made up my mind I wasnt gonna get it. Me, Samsung phones and reception go back some years. So thats where some of my opinions about their phones come from.

I guess it happens whenever any of us have a bad experience with a product from a manufacture. You can see some folks that dont like Motorola phones...yet I have had nothing but good experiences with them for the most part.