Switch from RAZR to GNex?

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Thats exactly my point. The quiet speaker and the signal issues were addressed in the 4.0.4 ota. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting a 4.0.2 nexus. With 4.0.4, its literally like a completely different phone :biggrin:

Point taken. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B

bens42608

Thats exactly my point. The quiet speaker and the signal issues were addressed in the 4.0.4 ota. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting a 4.0.2 nexus. With 4.0.4, its literally like a completely different phone :biggrin:

You know what else is "literally like a completely different phone :biggrin: "? ....the maxx.lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mikespe

Reaction score
I switched from the Bionic to the Nexus...first because Moto just dropped the ball on support for the Bionic. Broken promises of ICS as well as stating that they would unlock the bootloader at the same time HTC announced it (HTC held their promise...Moto LIED!). I loved the Bionic and still think it is a GREAT phone as far as hardware goes. But I'm done with Moto until they start going back to the attitude they had when they released the OG Droid...Open, free...Android how it was meant to be!

The Nexus has be SPECTACULAR! Why? Because of the options. If you're stating on a stock phone then almost anything will do. But rooting really opens up Android & with the Nexus being the "true Google phone" it's AMAZING what can be done by the developers. Plus the Nexus is thin but not paper thin like the Razr...If you put that phone in your front pocket & squat down I swear you'll break the glass! (and I have read a few threads on various forums of that happening to people!). HOWEVER the Razr MAXX does have a better battery life.

Your first question to ask yourself is "Root or no root?" Think long and hard about this. Have you rooted other phones you've had? If yes then Nexus all the way. Moto has their phones under lockdown! Yea there's roms for them but the process is far more dangerous in regards to bricking your phone. The Nexus unlocks easily (and locks back up if you need to!) and there are a TON of good roms for it. I'm running LiquidSmooth on mine but many are loving AOKP. If you're staying stock then you need to go play with the phones for a bit

B

bens42608

I switched from the Bionic to the Nexus...first because Moto just dropped the ball on support for the Bionic. Broken promises of ICS as well as stating that they would unlock the bootloader at the same time HTC announced it (HTC held their promise...Moto LIED!). I loved the Bionic and still think it is a GREAT phone as far as hardware goes. But I'm done with Moto until they start going back to the attitude they had when they released the OG Droid...Open, free...Android how it was meant to be!

The Nexus has be SPECTACULAR! Why? Because of the options. If you're stating on a stock phone then almost anything will do. But rooting really opens up Android & with the Nexus being the "true Google phone" it's AMAZING what can be done by the developers. Plus the Nexus is thin but not paper thin like the Razr...If you put that phone in your front pocket & squat down I swear you'll break the glass! (and I have read a few threads on various forums of that happening to people!). HOWEVER the Razr MAXX does have a better battery life.

Your first question to ask yourself is "Root or no root?" Think long and hard about this. Have you rooted other phones you've had? If yes then Nexus all the way. Moto has their phones under lockdown! Yea there's roms for them but the process is far more dangerous in regards to bricking your phone. The Nexus unlocks easily (and locks back up if you need to!) and there are a TON of good roms for it. I'm running LiquidSmooth on mine but many are loving AOKP. If you're staying stock then you need to go play with the phones for a bit

Pretty good summary dude.the biggest pony tho was the root or no root? And while that is obviously the mission selling point for the nexus, without any bias I am just being completely objective; i've said it before and I say it again-although it's coil to have the ability too root just on car you want to, there is really no reason to do it anymore.sure people like to mess around with rooms & stuff butt there's really no benefits to it anymore.the original serious needed to be rooted overclocked rommed and tweaked in order to function peppery width it's small processor and insufficient ram but nowadays phones have plenty of that right from the box. you're more likely to temporarily break your video camera or something of that nature before actually helping anything. correct me if I'm wrong but they're just really aren't any major benefits of rooting anymore. you don't even need superuser to get free wireless tether. I am not trying to talk bad on the nexus but its major selling points are the fact that you can route it and that it has ice cream sandwich now with all these other phones getting ice cream sandwich and the fact that there's really no reason to root it I don't see any reason why anyone would really want the nexus instead off the razrr max x

mikespe

Reaction score
Oh there is SOOOOOO much more to rooting than just performance tweaks! Which include MORE than overclocking & roms! These developers can do AMAZING things with Android that iOS fanboys can only DREAM OF! BUT they do need an open platform to do it on. even if you feel overclocking is not needed there are battery tweaks, screen tweaks, and various "hidden" performance tweaks that I don't feel like writing at the moment. BUT there are also COSMETIC tweaks that you CAN'T to on a stock rom...changing the navigation bar buttons to what you want, status bar tweaks including (but not limited to) weather in your status bar, full access to major settings such as wifi, bluetooth, tether, GPS, LTE, etc....Lockscreen tweaks such as adding/changing the apps on the lockscreen, battery % on lockscreen, torch, different wallpaper than your homescreen, etc...modifying the build.prop file for performance & cosmetic tweaks...

The performance tweaks alone are worth rooting...but with the cosmetic tweaks you can REALLY make your phone your own! Rooting is a choice...either you want it or you don't...but research is your friend. The nexus has it's doors open...it's NOT perfect. As of this day ALL phones/technology have some faults. However rooting helps to fix some of them

And not to burst anyone's bubble but Moto WILL hold ICS even longer! Trust me...us former & current Bionic users feel completely cheated by them!

Pretty good summary dude.the biggest pony tho was the root or no root? And while that is obviously the mission selling point for the nexus, without any bias I am just being completely objective; i've said it before and I say it again-although it's coil to have the ability too root just on car you want to, there is really no reason to do it anymore.sure people like to mess around with rooms & stuff butt there's really no benefits to it anymore.the original serious needed to be rooted overclocked rommed and tweaked in order to function peppery width it's small processor and insufficient ram but nowadays phones have plenty of that right from the box. you're more likely to temporarily break your video camera or something of that nature before actually helping anything. correct me if I'm wrong but they're just really aren't any major benefits of rooting anymore. you don't even need superuser to get free wireless tether. I am not trying to talk bad on the nexus but its major selling points are the fact that you can route it and that it has ice cream sandwich now with all these other phones getting ice cream sandwich and the fact that there's really no reason to root it I don't see any reason why anyone would really want the nexus instead off the razrr max x

B

bens42608

Oh there is SOOOOOO much more to rooting than just performance tweaks! Which include MORE than overclocking & roms! These developers can do AMAZING things with Android that iOS fanboys can only DREAM OF! BUT they do need an open platform to do it on. even if you feel overclocking is not needed there are battery tweaks, screen tweaks, and various "hidden" performance tweaks that I don't feel like writing at the moment. BUT there are also COSMETIC tweaks that you CAN'T to on a stock rom...changing the navigation bar buttons to what you want, status bar tweaks including (but not limited to) weather in your status bar, full access to major settings such as wifi, bluetooth, tether, GPS, LTE, etc....Lockscreen tweaks such as adding/changing the apps on the lockscreen, battery % on lockscreen, torch, different wallpaper than your homescreen, etc...modifying the build.prop file for performance & cosmetic tweaks...

The performance tweaks alone are worth rooting...but with the cosmetic tweaks you can REALLY make your phone your own! Rooting is a choice...either you want it or you don't...but research is your friend. The nexus has it's doors open...it's NOT perfect. As of this day ALL phones/technology have some faults. However rooting helps to fix some of them

And not to burst anyone's bubble but Moto WILL hold ICS even longer! Trust me...us former & current Bionic users feel completely cheated by them!

if you're referring to me when you said research is your friend that I just wanna say I've done my research I've been rooting and running since the first android phone came out.... and although the things you said our true and can be cool you kinda exaggerated a little bit about how you need to root to do all that stuff. you can do almost all of that was just an aftermarket launcher, a torch app, a battery monitoring app, downloading some different live wallpaper, some weather widgets,etc. and as for these hidden performance tweaks you speak of... not exactly sure what kind of secret weeks you're talking about but like I said there's not many things you could change to make it much better than it already is stock most people will never even use the stock performance to its full potential.... I know what is superuser access is capable of like I said I mak my original droid out with all of that stuff because it needed it the fact is these new phones are so sweet they've really don't need any tweaking to run perfect. I'm not saying routing is stupid or anything I'm just saying it's not really necessary anymore it's something people just do for fun and it's honestly more likely to give you more problems such as a broken video camera then actually increase performance by much