Traded GNex for RAZR...Now having second thoughts...Have some questions though

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
I just can't believe you traded a GNEX for a Razr. lol, I'm sorry but... wtf were you thinking?

If you're #1 concern is the camera, then I think you have a legitimate issue. The camera on the GNEX is far from perfect. As far as LED all you have to do is download lightflow and change some settings around. My LED blinks different colors and pulses. I like it a lot.

Even speaker volume is fixable by downloading volume+. I dunno man, if you think the RAZR has a better camera and that is your #1 issue, then more power to you, but I'd have never made that trade.

So is the picture quality a software or hardware issue? If software, then will Google come out with a fix for it relatively soon?

Insidious

Reaction score
It took what 9 months to update the D2G to GB? I like Moto's new skin, but personally I would stick with the Gnex. you're future proofed software-wise.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
It took what 9 months to update the D2G to GB? I like Moto's new skin, but personally I would stick with the Gnex. you're future proofed software-wise.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

Yeah I know. I really hate my obsessive vacillation but I may be exchanging it yet again for another GNex at BB tomorrow at 8am.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
One more question... when everyone says that this phone will have great "developer support" what exactly does that mean? Lots of apps? Good OEM updates?? Does that mean "developer" as in app developer?

WookieClaws

Reaction score
It means a pretty steady flow of custom roms. Well after Google stops sending ota updates the dev community will be releasing software updates.

I'm pretty happy with my GNex, and battery life keeps improving with each day.

As for the camera I was messing around with scenes and saw a great improvement in color. Focus seems fine for me too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. The camera takes poor pictures IMO. They are dull (always) and blurry (sometimes). Conversely, the pics from the RAZR are vibrant. The number 1 reason for upgrading from my DroidX was to get a better camera phone. The GNex had hope with the zero shutter lag feature. And yes, I do focus and re-focus before taking pics, but the colors were still dull. I know some will say to adjust the settings, but I refuse to do that every time I want to take some quick pics.

-- The GNEX camera is way better than you RAZR - you can take 10 pictures in the time for one on the RAZR. If you need a close up then move the box until it turns green and you will get a sharp pic. I've taken 5 pics in a row of my kid moving and three came out perfectly. Remember this is a 0 lag camera.

2. I don't know if it was just my phone or not, but the LED had VERY limited functionality out of the box. It blinked white when I had an email, but that was about it. No LED notification for text messages (stock or ChompSMS) and no notification for missed calls. This is a huge issue for me. Yes, I downloaded Light Flow, but it worked sporadically for me. I think that this phone should natively support LED notification across multiple apps (The RAZR does it flawlessly for me, just as my DX did).

I've had NO problems with the LED. I use K-9 mail which lets you have it blink in any color in any timeframe. Handcent works fine with it. My problem with it is that it's too freaking bright and pulses. I keep it next to my bed and it annoys me so I just turned it off completely. I always have emails so I just pull down and check every so often. If you get Google Voice and miss a call it will put an icon for you on top.

--

3. The only alarm clock that I've been completely satisfied with is the Blur one. My requirements for a good alarm clock are simple, yet missing from this phone as well as all other alarm clocks that I downloaded from the Market. I want (1) increasing volume [many have this]; (2) slide to dismiss [some have this]; and (3) whole screen acts as a snooze button [only Blur has this]. I downloaded about a dozen different alarm clocks from the Market, and none had all 3 features.

-- This will be updated from google but if you are choosing a phone based on it ... just not smart.

4. The accessories (docs) available for the GNex right now are a joke. Conversely, the ones for the RAZR appear to be solid units. Granted, I have not tried any out yet, so this is just based on observation in the VZW store and their website.

-- I agree, however if you had done any research you would see the overseas versions are wonderful and it's only a matter of time before they come here. We don't even have the standard dock available here yet. The phone was released faster than expected for Verizon.

With a pure Google phone you will see far more updates far faster than any phone out there. With the RAZR good luck waiting for them to roll them out, and then good luck getting real fixes because it's got blur on it.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
1. The camera takes poor pictures IMO. They are dull (always) and blurry (sometimes). Conversely, the pics from the RAZR are vibrant. The number 1 reason for upgrading from my DroidX was to get a better camera phone. The GNex had hope with the zero shutter lag feature. And yes, I do focus and re-focus before taking pics, but the colors were still dull. I know some will say to adjust the settings, but I refuse to do that every time I want to take some quick pics.

-- The GNEX camera is way better than you RAZR - you can take 10 pictures in the time for one on the RAZR. If you need a close up then move the box until it turns green and you will get a sharp pic. I've taken 5 pics in a row of my kid moving and three came out perfectly. Remember this is a 0 lag camera.

2. I don't know if it was just my phone or not, but the LED had VERY limited functionality out of the box. It blinked white when I had an email, but that was about it. No LED notification for text messages (stock or ChompSMS) and no notification for missed calls. This is a huge issue for me. Yes, I downloaded Light Flow, but it worked sporadically for me. I think that this phone should natively support LED notification across multiple apps (The RAZR does it flawlessly for me, just as my DX did).

I've had NO problems with the LED. I use K-9 mail which lets you have it blink in any color in any timeframe. Handcent works fine with it. My problem with it is that it's too freaking bright and pulses. I keep it next to my bed and it annoys me so I just turned it off completely. I always have emails so I just pull down and check every so often. If you get Google Voice and miss a call it will put an icon for you on top.

--

3. The only alarm clock that I've been completely satisfied with is the Blur one. My requirements for a good alarm clock are simple, yet missing from this phone as well as all other alarm clocks that I downloaded from the Market. I want (1) increasing volume [many have this]; (2) slide to dismiss [some have this]; and (3) whole screen acts as a snooze button [only Blur has this]. I downloaded about a dozen different alarm clocks from the Market, and none had all 3 features.

-- This will be updated from google but if you are choosing a phone based on it ... just not smart.

4. The accessories (docs) available for the GNex right now are a joke. Conversely, the ones for the RAZR appear to be solid units. Granted, I have not tried any out yet, so this is just based on observation in the VZW store and their website.

-- I agree, however if you had done any research you would see the overseas versions are wonderful and it's only a matter of time before they come here. We don't even have the standard dock available here yet. The phone was released faster than expected for Verizon.

With a pure Google phone you will see far more updates far faster than any phone out there. With the RAZR good luck waiting for them to roll them out, and then good luck getting real fixes because it's got blur on it.

Good post, I appreciate your input. I think I may have had a defective GNex due to the LED light now working very well. And as far as the alarm clock, its certainly not a deal breaker for me, just more if a wish list item. And you're right, I never thought to look at the accessories that are available oversees. Thanks again.

What316

Reaction score
I think the camera is great. But I didn't buy it for the camera. So it really doesn't matter to me.

My LED works fine. I use handcart and have the led flash to custom. 100 on 2000 off. Flashes just like the OG Droid did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jtsativa420

Reaction score

--

Yes, thanks for an intelligent post. I have the razr, which imo, not only has a better camera but has a front facing hd camera that i love (skype, tango, etc), but am seriously debating a nexus. I also love the blur alarm and may not be able to live without. Lol. Either way the thread and this post was very helpful.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep things on topic please. Useless comments will be deleted. If you have nothing to add to the discussion, please don't flame.

gmtekk

Reaction score
guys...your best bet is to do what i did, which solved all my problems in a blink of an eye!. JUST GET AN IPHONE. i used to be a big droid lover, but it just got old after a while. if you step back and take a look at the big picture, they are all the same junk, with all the same problems...battery etc...

jays91ls

Reaction score
guys...your best bet is to do what i did, which solved all my problems in a blink of an eye!. JUST GET AN IPHONE. i used to be a big droid lover, but it just got old after a while. if you step back and take a look at the big picture, they are all the same junk, with all the same problems...battery etc...

i am beginning to think the something ,4 razor in 2 months for the same problem:angry:

wil318466

Reaction score

You'd be amazed how many people complain about the iPhone. I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to that constantly complain about the battery issues, and I mean non-stop. "I like this phone but it lasts an hour before I have to recharge it!".

I would *NEVER* switch to an iPhone, even if it was free. If I had a choice to get an iPhone for free or a Nexus for 300 bucks, I'd buy the Nexus in a heartbeat. My wife has the latest iPhone and every time I pick it up to check it out I wonder how people love those things so much - they are boring as hell.

And maybe I'm doing it wrong, but using navigation/maps on the iPhone is beyond horrid. We were in NYC walking around and my Nexus go us everywhere we wanted flawlessly and her iPhone was useless. Just makes me more confident I made the right choice. Granted, I'm much more "techy" than she is, but damn that phone sucks.

hwiya320

Reaction score
i did answer your questions, you just didn't like the answer and now you're whining because you wish you kept the GN :D

To the OP, I'm not sure if you can expect any better answer on here than this. GN owners can't think outside of what they see on this phone and think everything about this phone is flawless. I find it funny that he "answered" your questions by saying "who cares, I don't care! I worship GN! like people worship Iphones!":blink:

I would expect that Nexus will start having more accessories, like the RAZRs (although I don't think there are that many for the RAZR).
You definitely won't have accessories for the Droids like they do for Iphones. Because there are so many models of Droids, I don't think manufacturers are willing to commit to a single design and invest their money on variety of options.

Last edited: