Gnex and razr screen burn in?!?

skyshadow

Reaction score
So im planning on getting a new phone very soon and I was down at a verizon wireless store today looking at the razr and the galaxy nexus. They are both gorgeous phones but I noticed something that worried me a lot. I saw it on the razr first, it seemed as though the home screen icons were burnt into the screen cause I could see them while doing other things on the phone such as web browsing and checking the text keyboard. On the razr it was very easy to see and showed up easily on almost everything I was doing. I then started looking at the nexus and while it wasn't as easy to spot as the razr (maybe its cause the razr was there longer) I could still make out the green face icon of the message app while on a white background. This kind of worries me, does anyone have any insight on why this would happen and if it goes away?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
So im planning on getting a new phone very soon and I was down at a verizon wireless store today looking at the razr and the galaxy nexus. They are both gorgeous phones but I noticed something that worried me a lot. I saw it on the razr first, it seemed as though the home screen icons were burnt into the screen cause I could see them while doing other things on the phone such as web browsing and checking the text keyboard. On the razr it was very easy to see and showed up easily on almost everything I was doing. I then started looking at the nexus and while it wasn't as easy to spot as the razr (maybe its cause the razr was there longer) I could still make out the green face icon of the message app while on a white background. This kind of worries me, does anyone have any insight on why this would happen and if it goes away?

Yes it's possible as you know and same for the Gnex. Best to not keep the screen on constantly displaying the same image on highest brightness.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1770783

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apparently AMOLED has similar burn in behavior as Plasma TV screens. I think the difference is since your screen is turned off so much that it's unlikely to get burn in. The store models are probably set to never turn off and sit there with the home screen on 24 hours a day so they burn in easily. They also force them to 100% brightness, which also increases the chance of burn in. When the screen turns off, it removes the pixel color and therefore prevents the problem.

Haven't noticed any burn in myself, have my screen set to turn off after 2 minutes of inactivity.

jdroid80

Reaction score
Interesting, I haven't had a problem at all. Hypothetically, like others have stated it would be very difficult to actually burn in since the screens turn off in one to two minutes.

Even if super AMOLED screens had burn-in problems similar to plasmas it wouldn't be a huge deal since permanent burn-ins are not common anymore with plasmas.

I know because I've fallen asleep with my plasma on same image through out the night, and even once left TV on all day with same image.

In worst case scenario, it may leave a"ghosting image" which isn't permant but will go away by changing the image.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

bmkdroid

Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry about any image-retention! I'm sure it is a very rare issue that would only happen under highly uncommon situations of use.

OP
S

skyshadow

Reaction score
So if anything does manage to get burnt in is it reversable?

Diab210

Reaction score
Pretty sure if it does happen it is not fixable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reaction score
any phone will burn if you leave the screen on all the time, like the store display models are ;)