AMOLED screens and that damn green tint...

B

bens42608

That was meant for jcardona1. Dude what kind of phone do you have?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes like I said that was wrong to get personal. Now im just trying to discuss phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Thanks for admitting that. I'm always down for a good discussion and enjoying reading them, but when it gets personal that's when it gets ugly.

Let's just keep the thread on track and get some more good discussions going. However, if I see another disrespectful comment between you and cardona I won't hesitate to report it to the mods this time.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
closing to clean up... if/when we reopen it, there better not be a single derogatory comment directed towards another individual, and no more condescending stuff either...

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
closing to clean up... if/when we reopen it, there better not be a single derogatory comment directed towards another individual, and no more condescending stuff either...

This.

Let's keep it respectful and civil in here guys. Thanks. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm reopening this, but talk about a short leash... especially since this issue has been covered in numerous other places. Had to delete some posts simply b/c they made no sense after some of the cleanup - so if yours was one of them, sorry about that.

And for what it's worth, here are the "facts" on this issue...

Rezound: Super LCD, RGB matrix... absolutely beautiful, more "accurate" colors due to just RGB, but not as bright since it doesn't have that extra pixel, and therefore tends to wash out in sunlight.

Bionic: LCD (super?), RGBW pentile matrix... great outdoors, great brightness thanks to that extra white pixel. Can look pixelated or grainy to some, and the "screen door" is not a "vapor" issue, it exists (if you see it - see below). But it can also look great, especially farther away.

Razr/Gnex: SAMOLED, SAMOLED plus, whatever... both are RGBG, both will have a green/gray tint to their whites, and much deeper blacks. Colors will pop more - some will like it, some will call it oversaturated. It will be more viewable in sunlight than the rezound, but not as good as the Bionic in that regard. Razr might look pixelated at times, but Gnex shouldn't due to the much higher resolution.

Ok, now here's the problem with those "facts". If I look at the American flag, I see red, white, and blue. If you look at the American flag, you also say you see red, white, and blue. But how do I know my red/white/blue actually looks like your red/white/blue? Maybe we just call it the same but our eyes actually see them differently? These "facts" are viewed/observed/analyzed by human eyes. And human eyes are different for every single person in their perception, preconceived ideas, ability to see in general, etc.

Not the best analogy, but you get my point... plus there's simply too much subjectivity on this issue, facts or not.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
You make it sound like AMOLED will show orange instead of green , it's nothing like that . I suggest taking your phone to a Sprint or ATT store and do a side by side compassion of the S2 with your phone cause clearly you have a preconceived opinion from what you read and I doubt you've actually seen a S2 screen in real life . For me it's nothing short from amazing . Look at a compassion made by SlashGear , it has a bluish tint , but nothing to cry about , and if you want you can adjust the color temperature to eliminate that . And what do you mean by you can't have a white pixel where there isn't one ? How do you think your monitor or TV creates white colors ? By combining red , green and blue , they don't have white pixels .

Nexus S , Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4

super-amoled-plus-vs-retina-display-11.jpg
super-amoled-plus-vs-retina-display-181.jpg
super-amoled-plus-vs-retina-display-161.jpg
super-amoled-plus-vs-retina-display-121.jpg

dbmcelroy

Reaction score
SLCD and AMoled each have their strengths and weaknesses. AMoled makes colors pop and have wide viewing angles but can appear very pixilated and have color cast. SLCD is more color neutral, accurate if you will, has no pixilation and shows no pixels when used for a high resolution screen as in the rezound. Choose which you prefer, I chose the resound and love it.
However technologies are constantly evolving and a new screen type has just been released fron LG.
Hands-On: LG Nitro HD for AT&T (Phone Scoop)
This is a variant of th IPS panels that LG has been sourcing for the IPAD. It looks very desirable to me, only problem is there is no Verizon phone using it yet. Who knows what wonderful screens we will have in 6 months or a years time?

turdbogls

Reaction score
this is just IMO

side by side, there are going to be things about both screen technologies that you dislike. like the lack of true blacks on LCD's or the tint on AMOLED screens.
but seperate them and you wont notice them much at all. on a daily basis, i never really get bothered by my LCD screens lack of true blacks. when i use my wifes fascinate, the tint on white backdrops dont really bother me at all. what i do notice though are the true blacks and the colors poping like they do on AMOLED screens.

all in all, it is the most important part of a cell phone, so you SHOULD be picky about it. get what you like and be done with it. I, for one, am sticking with an AMOLED screen.....tint and all.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
you have a preconceived opinion from what you read and I doubt you've actually seen a S2 screen in real life.

I don't understand why people keep making these types of comments. What makes you think I'm only going off what I read online? If I made this thread, it's obviously because I've seen it in person, and I didn't like it in person. Yes I've played with an SII, this past weekend in fact. Even my gf who's not into tech at all and doesn't spend her day reading forums and blogs said "ewww, what's wrong with the colors on the screen?" (she has a DX). I've seen plenty of phones with AMOLED screens, and I can't say that I've liked any of them. The colors look too-saturated, almost cartoonish looking, and the whites look very green. I don't need to listen to a blogger to form this opinion.

But I'm still getting the Nexus. I just hope the AMOLED display doesn't ruin the phone for me, because let's face it. The display is very important. If you don't like what you're looking at, you won't be happy.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
this is just IMO

side by side, there are going to be things about both screen technologies that you dislike. like the lack of true blacks on LCD's or the tint on AMOLED screens.
but seperate them and you wont notice them much at all. on a daily basis, i never really get bothered by my LCD screens lack of true blacks. when i use my wifes fascinate, the tint on white backdrops dont really bother me at all. what i do notice though are the true blacks and the colors poping like they do on AMOLED screens.

all in all, it is the most important part of a cell phone, so you SHOULD be picky about it. get what you like and be done with it. I, for one, am sticking with an AMOLED screen.....tint and all.

That's a good point. Part of the reason could be simply because I was comparing it to other phones. Maybe after a few days of use you'll get used to it. Only time will tell :)

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
That's a good point. Part of the reason could be simply because I was comparing it to other phones. Maybe after a few days of use you'll get used to it. Only time will tell :)

I was going to just say exactly this. Once you've had the G-Nex for a few days you probably won't even notice the tint since you're not comparing it side by side with a S-LCD. :D

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

coverton341

Reaction score
Hey , I guess displays are like music , not everybody likes the same style .

^This. Hi, I've been lurking and reading through this for a while and at times it has become...silly. And also as previously stated by jntdroid, one person's eye sees things differently than another's, this is a very subjective subject. I for one happen to like that "overly-saturated", "cartoonish" look that jcardona1 and his girlfriend seem to think is "ewww" while I dislike the DX's screen. That's just me though. I'm sure some people like what I like and I am sure other people hate it.

That in and of itself is why I am glad there are a large number of options when it comes to an android device, if you like AMOLED you're covered; fancy a LCD more? Got your back. Personally, I can live the rest of my life happily if I never see another retina iMacPhonepple display, but some people swear they are the best thing to happen to humans since fire.