Razr v. Nexus upgrade

amirh1

Reaction score
Hello,
I've had the Gnex for the 30 day period before switching to RAZR MAXX. So I don't know about the None-MAXX RAZR but you can extrapolate. And trust me - I'm objective and wish I didn't have to switch because it was a true PITA.

***Battery***:
  • MAXXMAXXMAXX. Easily more than 2x the Gnex (I used the stock kern on Gnex, no root/unlock). The Gnex has *terrible* consumption - anyone saying differently is just fooling themselves. No way can last the day if you actually use the phone (apps/talk/internet), and I'm not even talking about 4g. With MAXX I can run a full day w/o any juicedefenders, 4g/wifi/bluetooth always on, calls, music - you just cannot drain this thing in a single day unless you leave the screen on all day. Charge it once a day and forget all the power saving hacks...
Screen:
  • here it's a bit of a split. The RAZR is more vivid and "lively" it appears, but the extra resolution on the Gnex is noticeable. I don't really need it but you can tell putting them side by side that Gnex has more realestate
Reception:
  • I understand you can fix some of the Gnex disfunctions with radio updates (I didn't). But the RAZR definitely is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better in 4g and wifi signals! 3g I actually didn't notice any difference (both do fair, not great and not poor compared to a bberry tour on same network in same locations).
ICS:
  • Yup, it's definitely great. Can't wait to get it on the RAZR MAXX, but IMO that's no reason to go with Gnex. It's not that different, and I assume there's root and ROM etc available for RAZR if you want to get rid of bloatware etc for the time being (again, bloatware don't bother much if you don't worry about battery anymore...)
Form factor:
  • MAXX bulky? You gotta be kidding me. Calling this bulky means you overestimate what's down there between your legs ;-) Seriously, it's super thin and great to hold, I can only imagine how thin the non-MAXX is... But definitely better form factor than Gnex - slightly smaller, thinner for sure, and lighter. Both are very comfortable to hold.
  • Don't forget extra SD on RAZR
  • Don't forget HDMI on RAZR (haven't used it yet, need to get dock)
  • Without a doubt the RAZR sports nicer materials and feels sturdier. Gnex back is made of cheap plastic. Still, I wouldn't drop either of them - no match for my old blackberry (that thing could be used to hammer nails and would still work...)
Sound:
  • You better have great hearing with the Gnex - the max volume is about half the RAZR, if even that
Camera:
  • A wash IMO. Both are just okay, nothing special. I didn't experiment a lot with it. Gnex pictures come out blurry, RAZR does poorly in low light. Both okay for the occasional picture in the spur of the moment; if you're going to keep pictures of your trip for memories do yourself a favor and get a real camera like a micro 4/3...
That's it. Seriously I'm being objective because I could keep either one, but honestly the only thing Gnex has going for it is screen real estate and (for now) ICS. The rest is RAZR by far, and specifically the MAXX has at least 3x battery capacity than the Gnex (on a good day...)

HTH

Cor3yS

Reaction score
I was in Verizon store yesterday messed with galaxy maxx and even iphone lol( I was behind a family, daughters phone messed up and they said they wasn't leaving until she got another one wtf) iphone was to small and hate the ios, galaxy was big but hated outside design, maxx design is prefect and will get ics eventually wanted to get one but sold out till 21 real crappy

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mark7568

Reaction score
William, you kinda hit it on the head bud. I wouldn't mind owning a razor or Maxx. Just that I'm dedicated to my nexus. Like the razor. Motorola has treated me well the last 5 yrs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

doggy2965

Reaction score
I bought a cheap mini HDMI cable and hooked it up to TV 5 bucks works perfect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
I was called by Verizon for a possible upgrade. I currently have a Thunderbolt and I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with it. So I was offered the chance to upgrade to either the Razr or the Galaxy Nexus. I realize that I'm posting this on the Razr forum so it might be a little biased, but I'm asking for as objective opinion as possible. What do you think is the better phone, in general? With regards to OS, speed, UI, preinstalled software etc... Personally, I'm leaning towards the Razr just because my first Android phone was a Droid and I loved the UI. I don't care for the HTC UI and I don't know anything about the Samsung UI. Opinions?

Thank you for this topic. I have been offered the razr, resound, spectrum, or iPhone due to countless issues with 5 bionics.

I chose the razr despite the issues with bionic and it being a Motorola. I like Motorola and feel like their phones usually are solid. I think my second choice would be the rezound, but sense can be so overpowering.

The Rep was very helpful and gave me lots of info on all phones. She has had almost all of them and chose the razr for herself....that, combined with the specs and reviews, helped make my choice. I also like the unique design and slimness of the razr.

My razr should arrive today. Good luck to you!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
Oh yeah, if your going to talk about the razor Maxx, next make sure you mention its really thick and heavy, and should not be called razor! That would be lying to its customers!

While I am awaiting my razr right now, I have to absolutley disagree with you.

I went to Verizon yesterday to buy accessories and played with the razr and the maxx and they are both very slim. In fact, no other phone I saw in the store came close to their slimness. The bionic is a huge brick in comparision.

You mist be confusing phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

T0M65

Reaction score
I was looking at the Nexus and The Razr Maxx and decided on the Razr when I saw the Verizon special - 2 Razr phones and double the data for $199. Sweet deal. This will be my first smart phone. I can't wait until Monday.
:icon_ banana:

Androidatic

Reaction score
The one great things about the Razr is its style. Other phones are pretty much black slabs but the Razr is different. I don't root or do custom ROMS so the whole unlocked bootloader thing isn't a big deal. For me the Razr was a no brainer. Especially with all of the custom accessories that Moto puts out with their flagship phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cinoib

Reaction score
Oh yeah, if your going to talk about the razor Maxx, next make sure you mention its really thick and heavy, and should not be called razor! That would be lying to its customers!

Really thick? I don't agree (coming from the Droid Bionic). Glued? Well, yes the back is glued on and yes, you can't just pull the battery. At first I was worried about that. But I've had my Maxx for a few weeks now. I am rooted with Motofail_windows(1). I have gone through my first OTA. I am SqLite hacked. And I have it backed up with OTA. Voodoo. Guess what?! Never failed once! So, what's the issue with the glued on back?

Oh, btw, it's a 4.3" screen.

Yes, the Nexus has a higher ppi (316??) and a bigger screen. But why did Sammy install a Pen Tile Super Amoled screen rather then the Super Amoled PLUS? And why did they use a 5 megapixel camera? And above all, why'd the use a plastic frame?

Motorola Maxx may be glued but it uses metal in the subframe. And hence it doesn't creek as you handle the device nor does the thing come apart like a Dagwood sandwhich when you drop it (as does the Nexus).

So as mentioned in an earlier post, the moto has better hardware and the Nexus has a superior o/s. With Launcher Pro, you really don't see Motoblur.

If your phone sits on a desk in your cubicle all day, then the plastic build is fine. And ICS is the icing on the cake.

If you are out and about and are at increased risk of dropping the device, the glued moto may be a better choice (btw, screws are used throughout the subframe and they are machined shanks that screw into the moto's chasis).

Cinoib

Reaction score
Think what you want. I get 12+ hours without a problem, so do other stock Razr owners.

My Razr Maxx gets 12 hours day in and day out on average use.

Cinoib

Reaction score
Think what you want. I get 12+ hours without a problem, so do other stock Razr owners.

Isn't the Galaxy Note 5.3"?

Zandar

Reaction score
Isn't the Galaxy Note 5.3"?

Yes, it is; but I fail to see the relevance.

Isn't the Tegra 2 using a ULP GeForce GPU?

Aren't carcinogens bad for you?

Does this shirt make me look fat?

Gleason81

Reaction score
The strength of Motorola phones is their radios and ability to get and hold a week signal. Motorola is also known for a high quality build of their phones.

Samsung generally has better software and if having ICS right now is a must, you have only one choice.

For me, having an SD card was a must so I went with the Razr. Also, I didn't want to be an ICS beta tester so it was easy to rule out the Nexus.

I like how this posts sums it all up. Build quality a big factor for me since I'll have the darn thing for about 2 years. Also, radios...Moto has the best...sound quality (on receiving and transmitting end) clear (for those of you who still use for phone to make calls :) )... and signal strength generally better than other manufacturers.

Fadeds

Reaction score
I bought the nexus 2 days ago. I was all happy as I left the store knowing I had the so called best Verizon phone. when I got home and started playing around with it I realized that I spent almost 400 dollars on a damn phone! The only real thing that attracted me to this phone was screen size and the hype that went with it. The next day I brought it back and ordered a Razr. It was a 100 cheaper and it just felt better. I just couldn't stand the fact that I spent that much on something that I feel isn't all that great. For me the speaker volume was the worst part of that phone, and that might sound totally stupid I know. I use my phone as my alarm in the morning, and shouldn't you be able to hear it when it rings? That's just my thoughts. Can't wait to get my Razr! I just wanted to share that with you guys, that whole situation made me crazy this weekend.

IDroid4s

Reaction score
The razr is just a slightly better bionic. Moto UI sucks. The screen resolution is outdated. I mean cmom the iPhone 4 still has better ppi and it came out over a year ago. Galaxy nexus is on a totally different level. It actually feels like a current phone. Just my 2 cents...