RAZR dropped, then Galaxy Neuxus, Then RAZR Agian:)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As some of yall can see. ... this is typed from a G Nex. I'm test driving it for about ten days.

Reading about all the issues, and the first day using it...I thought here we go. After the first day... things are looking better. One area its surprising me in is phone reception. For my wants n needs.. so far its doing ok. I'm only talking about phone reception right now. Will see how things go in ten days.

I feel I can say this: so far...just based on regular phone use... neither is clearly better than the other.
They both are fast, smooth. I also must have a decent working one. And maybe its 4.0.1 I am getting a prompt for an update... wont do it just yet... but some keyboard and some screen rotations do lag compared to the razr. Thats with animations turned off on both phones.

Mad that verizon is counting the day shipped, and not the day activated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I need to expand on this some more. I said I wasnt gonna post anymore til more days went by, but Verizon counting the shipped date and not the activation date has me in hurry up mode.

For phone reception...in weak reception areas...the G Nex is doing a good job. That actually surprised me, and was the reason I made the earlier post, as thats why I stayed away from them so long. The RAZR is doing a better job tho, no real surprise there. But the G Nex is close behind it, a surprise. It actually might be too close to call.

For data? The RAZR by a big margin...in weak reception areas. You can and will now the difference when it happens if you ever have a chance to compare the G Nex to another phone. When I say bad reception...I mean when I try to do speed tests...if I'm lucky to get a connection it will be in the 90's to 100's kbps down. They flipped flopped for connecting...which surprised me. The G Nex seems to have issues re connecting when it loses signal completely in bad reception areas. Or when going from a bad reception area to a good one. As of this post....I cant find anywhere in my apt for a decent connection with the G Nex now. The RAZR is holding to 1x and 3G. Even got 4G by the window. Same spot for the G Nex...test says try again. Or it picks a server in PA or MA...I live n DC, MD, VA area.

EDIT: NOW they both getting data by my window. RAZR is getting 100-200 points better. G Nex is picking the correct servers now. Both connected to 3G, both set to LTE. G Nex has yet to get 4G in my apt. RAZR got it at least twice since I had it and checked for it.

I already updated to 4.0.2 today. Data reception might have been better before the update. But the servers in a far away state and re connecting issues was happening on 4.0.1 too. Other than the data issues....the G Nex is a nice phone. It picking servers in a far away state on speed tests might need to be looked into. And with very minimal tweaks the G Nex may have decent battery life. RAZR speaker is louder, and I prefer the notification light on the RAZR, even tho I like that its bigger on the G Nex.

Out the box I would recommend the RAZR to ppl between the 2. And even after all this I havent really decided if I will keep it or send it back and add my Droid 1 to my line. Will not root or unlock it unless I decide to keep it.

And I guess I need to add the disclaimer: I might have a faulty G Nex. It happens...

Last edited:

todroid

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that post, Jroc. Can we expect a more comprehensive Gnex review from you? You know, camera, build, ICS, etc. I know we share our view on Razr, so it would be very interesting to see what you think of Gnex as the overall package without the rooting/development superiority factor coming into play.

Sei28

Reaction score
So, I went to a verizon store today thinking about exchanging my GN with a Razr, but two verizon employees kind of dissuaded me from doing so. They were both quite vocal about it. ("ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" [of course jokingly]).

They said that they had not heard of any signal complaints specifically for GN and that around 1-2 week ago, Verizon's network was having a lot of issues. So, they think it was the network rather than the phone. Other than that, their two main points were

1. Both of them said ICS is just so much better with a lot more options than Gingerbread.
2. One of them said that the non-removable battery of Razr was a pretty big turnoff because you can't use an extended battery and the battery will noticeable amount of charge capacity in about 1 to 1 1/2 years.

They also liked GN's display better, but admitted that the two phones were close enough in resolution to notice much difference if at all.

What do you guys think about their opinions? I still have until the 15th to decide.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that post, Jroc. Can we expect a more comprehensive Gnex review from you? You know, camera, build, ICS, etc. I know we share our view on Razr, so it would be very interesting to see what you think of Gnex as the overall package without the rooting/development superiority factor coming into play.

I dont know. There have been so many to last a lifetime...lol. I'm just trying to bring some fairness to the phone vs phone debates for as long as I have the G Nex.

So, I went to a verizon store today thinking about exchanging my GN with a Razr, but two Verizon employees kind of dissuaded me from doing so. They were both quite vocal about it. ("ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" [of course jokingly]).

They said that they had not heard of any signal complaints specifically for GN and that around 1-2 week ago, Verizon's network was having a lot of issues. So, they think it was the network rather than the phone. Other than that, their two main points were

1. Both of them said ICS is just so much better with a lot more options than Gingerbread.
2. One of them said that the non-removable battery of Razr was a pretty big turnoff because you can't use an extended battery and the battery will noticeable amount of charge capacity in about 1 to 1 1/2 years.

They also liked GN's display better, but admitted that the two phones were close enough in resolution to notice much difference if at all.

What do you guys think about their opinions? I still have until the 15th to decide.

1. Yea ICS has alot more options. And I like how it's setup. So much better than stock GB? I agree. So much better than GB with a custom UI? A lil hard to say to me. I could agree its better, not SO much better tho cuz custom UI's add their own lil things too. I might like the color schemes in some areas on custom UI's better. And I do. I miss the T9 dialing on my RAZR at times, something that HTC had on Android before Motorola started using it on their Android phones. Lil things like that. Yea it can be added back with a dialer app. Moto and HTC add some nice things to their UI's. Samsung too. Sometimes its nice to have it already on the phone. Like Smart Actions and Motocast.

2. Non removable battery....its either you dont mind or its a deal breaker. Dont really know any other way to say it. Like how some ppl accepted the no sd card with the G Nex, some have accepted the non removable battery. In 1 and 1/2 years...arent we ready for the next great super phone...? lol

I would agree about the screens. If I had to pick a screen, I would pick the G Nex. You dont really notice the difference until you start to hold both closer than normal...for me anyway. Now that I think about it, I might do a more detailed write up of the RAZR vs the G Nex. I bet if ppl really spent some time with all these phones, similar sized likes and dislikes lists would form. So far I have yet to see where the G Nex is so much better than the RAZR and vice versa. I cant wait to see what Moto does with ICS on the RAZR. HTC and Samsung too. I hope Moto chooses a different color scheme for some areas..dont like the light blue in some areas on the G Nex.

Last edited:

Sei28

Reaction score
I dont know. There have been so many to last a lifetime...lol. I'm just trying to bring some fairness to the phone vs phone debates for as long as I have the G Nex.

1. Yea ICS has alot more options. And I like how it's setup. So much better than stock GB? I agree. So much better than GB with a custom UI? A lil hard to say to me. I could agree its better, not SO much better tho cuz custom UI's add their own lil things too. I might like the color schemes in some areas on custom UI's better. And I do. I miss the T9 dialing on my RAZR at times, something that HTC had on Android before Motorola started using it on their Android phones. Lil things like that. Yea it can be added back with a dialer app. Moto and HTC add some nice things to their UI's. Samsung too. Sometimes its nice to have it already on the phone. Like Smart Actions and Motocast.

2. Non removable battery....its either you dont mind or its a deal breaker. Dont really know any other way to say it. Like how some ppl accepted the no sd card with the G Nex, some have accepted the non removable battery. In 1 and 1/2 years...arent we ready for the next great super phone...? lol

I would agree about the screens. If I had to pick a screen, I would pick the G Nex. You dont really notice the difference until you start to hold both closer than normal...for me anyway. Now that I think about it, I might do a more detailed write up of the RAZR vs the G Nex. I bet if ppl really spent some time with all these phones, similar sized likes and dislikes lists would form. So far I have yet to see where the G Nex is so much better than the RAZR and vice versa. I cant wait to see what Moto does with ICS on the RAZR. HTC and Samsung too. I hope Moto chooses a different color scheme for some areas..dont like the light blue in some areas on the G Nex.

I've played with the Razr for a bit and at a superficial glance/messing around, I didn't dislike the feel of Motorola's custom UI at all. I'm a relatively casual user, so maybe I'm just not noticing a lot of things that's apparently available on ICS and not on GB.

To be honest, I have to admit that I really like how Razr looks (slick design, sturdy build) and that's been a pretty big swaying factor while I'm being extremely indecisive.. =(

The guy said ~200 charges for the battery to noticeably lose its capacity though.. is that really correct? Don't most 4G phone users charge their phone every night? At least that's what I've been doing with my GNex as it doesn't quite last 2 full days. 200 charges would not even be close to a year in that case..

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am still at a toss up. I have had the Nexus for a few days now and it is REALLY starting to grow on me. But....there are things about the Razr that I am finding myself missing...well....was....today has been a day of discovery...

IMO they are equally great. It is all preference. A lot of me says to stick with the Nexus purely out of frustration with Moto and actually having a device with an unlocked boot loader (as was expected) is amazingly free feeling. I feel like this is more of "my phone" than any Moto has before with the exception of the OG Droid.

I am almost feeling the want to Boycott Moto due to what I consider a lie told by them....in addition to what I consider having their customers beta test devices for them at full retail cost.

All of this is off topic though. To comment on the topic of the thread I will say what others and myself have said before....pick the device that is best for you.

Androidatic

Reaction score
So, I went to a verizon store today thinking about exchanging my GN with a Razr, but two verizon employees kind of dissuaded me from doing so. They were both quite vocal about it. ("ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" [of course jokingly]).

Some of the items you mentioned are all opinion and conjecture, it's up to you how YOU feel about the 2 phones.

The battery issue, I believe that's total bunk. Just look at the iPhone. No systemic battery failures have been discovered and they have been out for years. Besides, in 18 months both of these phones will be dinosaurs.

On the signal issue, just take a stroll on the GN forum of this site and read all about the GN signal issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PatG

Reaction score
Some of the items you mentioned are all opinion and conjecture, it's up to you how YOU feel about the 2 phones.

The battery issue, I believe that's total bunk. Just look at the iPhone. No systemic battery failures have been discovered and they have been out for years. Besides, in 18 months both of these phones will be dinosaurs.

On the signal issue, just take a stroll on the GN forum of this site and read all about the GN signal issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I am typing this on my Droid 1 I got in November 2009. There are quite a few of us that keep their phones longer than 2 years especially with kids and spouses using upgrades lol

I have read a few posts that the battery can be replaced - not on a daily bases with a spare but if the battery dies after a while it shouldn't be a big problem.

I replaced the battery on my Droid 1 after 22 months. Made a huge difference.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I kept my Droid 1 for 2 years on the same battery without any issue and I ran that battery ragged with all the flashing and testing.

Matter of fact every phone I've ever owned I never bought a spare battery for them.

As mentioned above, iPhone has had no issues with battery failures. They work for years.

Sent from Droid RAZR

Androidatic

Reaction score
I am typing this on my Droid 1 I got in November 2009. There are quite a few of us that keep their phones longer than 2 years especially with kids and spouses using upgrades lol

I have read a few posts that the battery can be replaced - not on a daily bases with a spare but if the battery dies after a while it shouldn't be a big problem.

I replaced the battery on my Droid 1 after 22 months. Made a huge difference.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I never said that everyone will get a new phone after 2 years, only that they will be dinosaurs after 2 years. I can fully understand the financials of getting a new phone but that doesn't change the fact that there are things the OG just can't do that the newer dual core, and soon to be quad core phones can do. Also, apps, and even ICS, are now being designed to take advantage of the higher processor speeds and multiple cores. Slower, single core phones just won't be able to run newer apps as the specs for new phones increase.

Sei28

Reaction score
I kept my Droid 1 for 2 years on the same battery without any issue and I ran that battery ragged with all the flashing and testing.

Matter of fact every phone I've ever owned I never bought a spare battery for them.

As mentioned above, iPhone has had no issues with battery failures. They work for years.

Sent from Droid RAZR

Neither Droid 1 nor the iPhones are 4G phones though. I'm guessing they don't require daily charging.

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
Just waiting for the GNex trolls to show up and start flaming your post but both phones are good choices but I prefer my Kevlar coated Razr over a plastic phone any day. I feel that the Razr is more overall great phone over the nexus. Another satisfied Razr owner if you ask me :)

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr

This guy, lol.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Hey he just loves his phone, it's kinda cute.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk