Seidio Innocase Rugged review

jsandersp

Reaction score
Ok, so I just received the Seidio Rugged and I know some of you wanted to hear about it.

First impression: This thing is huge! Yes, it is pretty big. I don't think this should be a big surprise to anyone given the amount of protection it offers and the fact that it is a case on top of another case. For anyone who is curious about the bulk issue, yes, it does add significant bulk.

For me, the case changes the device completely in the sense that you are going from a beautiful, sleek and thin device to something that feels more along the lines of a hand held GPS device. It definitely feels more like something made for the outdoors or like a tool I would use on the job if I were building cell towers in the middle of nowhere. I would also say it has a law enforcement feel to it. When I where it on my belt, it feels like a sidearm. Are these bad things? To some, definitely. To me, not so much. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors. Keep in mind, on the package is a picture of a fireman. Firemen's gear is built to withstand a certain amount of abuse.

The feel of the case, to me, is great. I think I will adjust to the size difference, but, so far, I like the way it feels. I have no problem using it one handed and now feel like I have something that won't slip through my fingers (something that happened often... yes, I am clumsy). I definitely like that I don't feel the need to be so gentle with it. I want to be able to drop it accidentally, toss it in a backpack, or dump it into the cup holder of my car. Basically, I don't want to worry about it getting jostled around or place it gingerly like a faberge egg. I don't think I will have to worry with this case.

There are a couple of annoyances. The home buttons are a little more difficult to get to because there is a significantly tall lip directly under them. This makes them a little less accessible but, again, something to adjust to. The buttons themselves are naked. I think this is where Otterbox wins in their design. I can only imagine, with the buttons covered, they are quite easily pushed. This lip also effects the scroll down menu bar at the top of the screen. I did not, however, have any problem playing Zelda much to my surprise and happiness. Swype texting was perfectly fine as well. Other accessablilty issues include the flaps that cover the jack, ports, and camera lens. All seem to require a little trick to get them open, except for the audio jack which seems impossible to get open unless you have long finger nails. I used the tip of a knife. The port cover is easy to get open and the camera cover requires a couple of tricks but nothing too hard to figure out. I do like the camera cover, though. It does stay pinned back really well. It is held on by a thin piece of silicon but I don't think it will break any time soon.

Besides the home buttons, the other external controls are covered and are totally functional with no problems at all.

Installation of the case is easy. Snap on the 360 (a nice, slim-line case on its own), the silicon cover goes over that, and then snap on the exoskeleton. Only time will tell if I switch between the two cases very much. The Rugged is easy to remove and the 360 is way more pocket-able. I did have to remove my Invisible shield from the back and edges of the phone. The 360 fits very precisely and didn't seem to want to snap shut very well with even the thin IS under it. I was able to keep my IS screen protector on though. Seidio Rugged does include a screen protector that is separate from the case, but I like, and I am used to the IS protector. No problems leaving it on.

Can you put the Rugged in your pocket? Sure! You might need some big pockets though. I put it in the pocket of my jeans and it was definitely less comfortable than a naked DX, obviously, but I never liked it in my pocket anyway. Either way, it is doable, but not optimal. I don't consider it a pocket phone anyway. Which segues to my next issue: the holster.

There is nothing dainty about the holster. It is beefy and durable looking. I really feel like I might get some second glances from police officers wondering if I have a permit to carry this thing. I don't feel like I am going to use it much. I have never liked holsters and only a trench coat might conceal this setup. Seriously, I think wearing this, without a uniform for some credibility, is going to make people think you have a gun or a taser. The holster is clearly designed for a particular use. The clip looks like it will easily fit over a two-inch belt. Usually, two-inch belts are worn for only certain activities, none of which involve navigating the hazards of office life. Again, there is a picture of a fireman on the box! The clip system that holds the phone is place is nice. It is spring loaded, but has a significant tab that juts out a bit. You can also lock it to keep it firmly closed. All of these operations can be accomplished with one hand. Locking and unlocking, however, is a little tricky.

So do I like the Rugged? I do. I will say it is definitely not for everyone, but if you like rugged, tactical-like design, this case is for you. If you want ultimate protection, this is for you. You absolutely must not mind the added bulk though. This is an issue for many users out there. You will have to decide what is more important for you and what your needs are. I wanted ultimate protection and don't care about, in fact kind of enjoy, the change in size. If you want scratch protection, get a slim case, or get Invisible Shield (a pain to put on, but durable with no noticeable change in size).

Was this better than waiting for the Otterbox? Good question. I think the Otterbox will be a little more slim and maybe even designed a little better. I am still very curious about it and would love to see one. I'm not getting one this time around but, from what I have seen, I do like what they do. I would love to do a side by side comparison, but then I would be over $100 deep into phone cases.

Please feel free to post any questions to me and I apologize if the pictures aren't so great. I was firing a few test shots off and my batteries died. No backups. Figures.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 1,420
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 1,664

jloya

Reaction score
thanks for the awesome write up...i was thinking about ordering this one myself...however I think the added bulk may have vetoed this one from my list.

debaucher

Reaction score
Also got my case yesterday. I am only using the surface case right now because I need it to fit in my pocket. I find the surface case to be a bit "sticky" when I put it in/pull it out of my pocket but the case feels stronger than the verizon brand carbon fiber case I had before.

One other thing to note is this case will not fit properly if you have the extended battery in with its cover. (the sides don't snap properly and there is a small gap around the usb/mini hdmi port.)

I was able to get the case on by carefully putting the original battery cover on.

I find pulling down the toolbar on top to be a pain as the case is made too close to the screen on top and it often takes me 3 our more tries to pull down the toolbar)

I do like the outer case and will use that for when I camp and during winter time although it does make pushing the buttons harder and fitting in my pocket is a no go depending on the jeans I have on for the day.

Just my 0.000002¢

D.

reuuin88

Reaction score
Thx for the write up. I love the fact that it comes with the surface case so I can take the bulk down a notch where not needed

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
thanks for the awesome write up...i was thinking about ordering this one myself...however I think the added bulk may have vetoed this one from my list.

Glad I could help. I do like the Innocase 360 (I was calling it the Surface in my post which I have since edited). It seems well built and doesn't add much bulk at all.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the write up i was thinking about buying this..

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Yes, thank you for the detailed write-up. I think the tightness of the 360 speaks to how well it is made, custom, form fit. You are right, we all expected quite a bit of bulkiness, and I think the OB will be equally bad/good. (have you guys seen the iphone4 defender pics beside the actual phone?.....quite a bit of bulk!)
It may be a little too much for me, and as I've said, the OB defender may be as well. I guess I am sliding down the ladder into the either the seidio active or OB commuter group.
I guess I'm just not a 2'' belt kind of guy......buy maybe someday

SWBookworm

Reaction score
Does the Innocase Surface have a felt-lined interior (it says it does in the Droid Forum store)? Nothing else I've seen says anything about it.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
Does the Innocase Surface have a felt-lined interior (it says it does in the Droid Forum store)? Nothing else I've seen says anything about it.

Not at all. It's just uncoated, smooth plastic. I wouldn't worry about it though. The case fits perfectly snug. I don't see how there could be any movement within the case that would cause surface damage to the phone. The holster does have a felt liner, though I cannot see why or what it is for. I think it just might be there to cover up areas where the clips are attached.

debaucher

Reaction score

Not that I have seen.
My Innocase is just plastic inside with a slightly rubbery (hard to explain the textrue) outer part.
Then I have the silicone cover and plastic exoskeleton (the rugged part of the innocase rugged).

No felt as far as I can tell unless that is how someone explains the texture of the outer part of the innocase.

D.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
@ DR. Dad. Ha! I am not a 2" belt guy either... more of a wannabe at best! I will say I am liking this case so far, but with the understanding that it is geared towards a certain market. It most certainly is well built and I like that. I am curious to see how I like it in a practical sense. I am still not sure how I plan to tote this thing around. Cargo pants?

debaucher

Reaction score
@ DR. Dad. Ha! I am not a 2" belt guy either... more of a wannabe at best! I will say I am liking this case so far, but with the understanding that it is geared towards a certain market. It most certainly is well built and I like that. I am curious to see how I like it in a practical sense. I am still not sure how I plan to tote this thing around. Cargo pants?

Yea, this is why I use only the innocase portion for my everyday use so far as it fits into my jean pockets just fine.. but there are times when I will need more protection (crazy snow days, hiking etc..) and this is when I will put the outer rugged part on and toss them into a pocket of my cargo pants or use the belt clip, or jacket pocket etc..

I have a feeling as time goes on I may buy another case to replace this one (once more options are out and about) but for now this will do.

D.

Schimm

Reaction score
I think the bulky cases compliment this phone well. In it's naked state, I think it is too unwieldy being so thin, wide and long. A hefty case adds some much needed depth and grip. The verizon glove case fits the bill for me.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
@schimm. I agree with you about needing to add some bulk. I think the phone is beautiful in its design and many would scoff at covering up its aesthetics, but I found myself treating the thing like it was made of egg shells. For a device that I use as often as I do (basically it's a constant sidekick), worrying about its safety is just impractical. I love the hefty feel of the device now that it is surrounded by plastic and rubber. After test driving the Rugged for a little while now, I love it. It is very liberating to me because I feel like my phone is safe.

As I have had some time with it, I'd like to note that I have adjusted well to the case as far as the annoyances. The scroll bar is still difficult. I used to use my thumb but now I use my finger. The home keys are fine now. I would also like to say I went out last night and carried it in the front pocket of my jeans(that holster isn't going to see much use from me, I think). Not a big deal at all. Noticeable? Yeah, but so was the naked DX (obviously not as much). Uncomfortable? No. Do I wear tight jeans? Not a hipster, but I don't wear them baggy either.

Anyway, I'm lovin' it. It fits me well.