Seidio Rugged or wait for Defender?

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
I will be happy to provide a review once I have the case in hand and have test driven it. I expect it to be bulky and I, too, have concerns about pocketability as I've never been a holster guy (and this holster looks beefy). Although, I have never been a case guy either, nor a smart phone guy, until the DX came out (purchased on release day :)).

Having two, sort of separate cases helped my decision to purchase, but maybe not as much as its availability and finally, after staring at it for so long, and then flipping back to the Defender, I actually thought the Rugged was more aesthetically pleasing in a "now I can throw my phone out of the car window" sort of way. From what I have researched, the bulk comes in the form of the silicon case that goes over the Surface. I have read that silicon cases are kind of sticky and, not only stick to your pocket, but collect lint as well. However, take a look at the online photos (seidioonline.com) and notice that there is an exo-skeletal-like piece that snaps over the silicon. This is a hard plastic material and it covers quite a bit of the back so most of the silicon is covered up. I am thinking this will definitely help... that is if the damn thing actually fits in a pocket! Well, we'll see. I went with Fedex 2day, ordered late Friday, so I guess I'll see it Tuesday? Wednesday?

I will definitely post my review asap. I have been hating the case-wait so anything I can do to help.

jaben2

Reaction score
I just ordered one today as well. I am hoping this will save my phone from the next time I drop it while riding the bike.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
The Rugged does look like the kind of protection you could use while cycling and texting. I was really wishing I had my phone protected and its holster while I was scrambling through scrub brush and prickers while searching for my golf disc. I know, tough life. Currently, my Seidio order is still "processing." They state a 1 to 2 day processing time is normal. We'll see. Today is the second business day so...

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I've been following the discussion/ tirade on the otterbox droid x facebook page. It is a little disconcerting that otterbox won't give a release date and apparently will release the commuter before defender. I would guess that they are trying to string people along to keep some customers. If they say "it will be available in two months" then most people will just buy a rugged and they will lose a lot of business.

I am now thinking that a Seidio active will be the best case for my purposes....protection and without a huge amount of bulk (I don't bike and climb, but I do drop and I do love my phone!) I wish they left the built-in screen protector on the seidio, but it looks like it will come with a screen protector or nothing at all.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
I have been following that Facebook discussion as well. In fact, the only reason I was is because I was trying to discover some hint of a release date. I don't know if I would've waited if I had known at least WHEN the OB was being released, but no matter now. I just got a shipping notification. :) The case should be in my hands Thursday. On a side note, I wonder how the holster thing is going to work out. I have actually never used one, but seriously, I could see how it would be handy. I'm just not sure about the whole Batman utility belt thing. So far, I'm not loving the DX in my pocket. I feel like I am going to snap it in half sometimes!

mrbiggiemac

Reaction score
seidio rugged install and unboxing video on youtube

just got my rugged cvase for my droid x anyoutubed put up the unboxing and install video on youtube check out my channel mrbiggiemac on youtube