Seidio Rugged or wait for Defender?

jsandersp

Reaction score
Ok, so Seidio did the smart thing and beat Otterbox to the punch. The Seidio Rugged for DX is available and now I don't know what to do. I do know I want the level of protection they both seem to offer. I do not have experience with either product, personally, and can only speculate by looking at pictures of the products and reviews of previous models.

These are the differences I think may be true:

1. The Seidio Rugged is bulkier than the Defender, but also seems... well, more rugged. Both are bulky cases so not an issue to me.
2. The Defender, I think, has an attached screen protector while the Rugged's screen protector is seperate. I think this may mean you could use any protector with the Rugged, which is a bonus as I like my Invisible Shield. If anyone knows about this, I'd like to hear from you.
3. Both cases seem to have great port coverage, although, the Rugged also includes a camera lens cover. The Defender seems to have no camera protection, unless it uses a clear screen. Either way, I like the flap cover on the Rugged even if it might be slightly annoying.
4. The Defender offers coverage for the external menu buttons (both have coverage for the camera button and volume rocker) while the Rugged, surprisingly, leaves them naked. I wonder why. I guess you'll still be able to see them lit up while using the Rugged.
5. The Defender has a hardshell interior covered by a silicon exterior. Two parts. The Rugged has three: a thin silicon interior (the Surface which is it's own model), a thicker silicon cover to go over that, and a hard shell plastic skeleton to keep it all together (looks like some nice corner protection).

I think I am persuading myself towards the Rugged as it seems to offer the best protection. I am also finding myself a little more drawn to its look, though the Defender seems more sleek, if "sleek" is a word we can use while describing these behemoths! Also, the Rugged has a really big advantage: it's available!

So, what do you think? I know I'm not the only one out there waiting for one of these cases and I know there are fans on both sides of the fence.

debaucher

Reaction score
I just bought the Seidio because I like that it is actually 2 cases.
So, when I need the extra protection I add the outer rugged silicone cover and for most days I just use the inner surface case.
Plus, it comes with a separate screen protector/film so that if I want to use a diff. brand I can.

I just ordered it today so I will see if I like it when it arrives.
I am already planning on dremmeling the inner part where the battery is to thin it out a bit so my extended battery will fit.

D.

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
Yeah, so apparently this is as long as I could hold out. In the end, I was pretty much swayed by the dual case setup and what seems to be a bit of a higher protection factor (not sure I really need THAT much protection, but then again, I will also have the Innocase Surface). From what I've found by looking up reviews from all over the place, the Otterbox may have a higher level of craftsmanship (maybe) but I guess I like the 4x4 pickup truck with the suspension package a little better than the mini-sport utility with the rims. I like both, but one is for one thing, and one is for something else.

reuuin88

Reaction score
Would you mind posting pics of your setup once it's shipped and setup? The online screen shots don't give a great look at what the phone would look like in a real world situation. Thanks a lot.

mtz_gto

Reaction score
Would you mind posting pics of your setup once it's shipped and setup? The online screen shots don't give a great look at what the phone would look like in a real world situation. Thanks a lot.

If this doesnt help you than your outta luck bud.

[video=youtube;zpQFnr8vzV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQFnr8vzV0]YouTube - Seidio Extended Battery: Motorola Droid[/video]

reuuin88

Reaction score
Lol np. That is one nasty looking extended droid battery though who the heck would use that lol.

mtz_gto

Reaction score
<-----currently is. I love it! :) lol
Im not chained to the wall like the rest of you. :)

Here

[video=youtube;Kl5coUFaxtw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5coUFaxtw[/video]

[video=youtube;UF20zeTrv2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF20zeTrv2g[/video]

[video=youtube;d-Vp75pBsTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Vp75pBsTU[/video]

reuuin88

Reaction score
Yeah I read your sig like 3 seconds after I posted that lol. Good point though I'm sure you get like three days outta that beast. Ok /end

OP
J

jsandersp

Reaction score
@MTZ GTO, Those were all videos that I watched to help me choose. I thought the one comparing Seidio and OB to be the best. They definitely give you a good idea of what the added bulk may be like. Either way, I think they're both huge, but I really like that the Seidio can be stripped down to a regular case. I could see myself taking advantage of that. I'm not at all worried about the bulk though. Hell, before I actually had my DX in my hands, I was imagining it to be the size of a paperback! I am probably one of few people who opened that box and were pleasantly surprised by how small it was.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Please give us some reviews!

I'll second or third the sentiment that I would like some reviews of the Rugged! I thought I wanted the Otterbox, but the wait is killing me knowing that my daughter and I drop my phones a lot. When the otterbox was ready, I was going to buy the defender and the commuter and see which one I liked better, but I am thinking about the rugged (it is similar to having the commuter AND a defender......kind of).

The point is whoever gets the rugged, please post pictures and reviews. My main questions: how much bulk it adds to the phone? Does is still fit in your pocket? Does is slide easily in and out of the pocket (it looks rubbery)?

thank you in advance