Seeking the guidance of experts

givemerock1130

Reaction score
Well howdy,

Let me begin by saying i got into this situation because I leaped before I looked. I recently purchased a Motorola Milestone A853 from our local wireless carrier, but wasn't satisfied with 2.1 update 1. A friend of mine who i never ever should have listened to advised me that updating to 2.2 would speed the phone up and offer me many more opportunities all around. He even went so far as to offer to root and load the custom rom himself. That was a mistake. I know have a Verizon Droid that cannot connect to my wcdma network. Is that a baseband issue? It gets worse. Nex-tech wireless, the carrier I "chose" to go with, can not flash it back to the stock rom it came with. They want to charge me an arm and a leg to send it to motorola so it can be flashed or whatever. After doing some research on my own i discovered RSD lite and an A853 Telus 2.1 upgrade sbf. Telus I believe is located somewhere in canada, while I am located in central Kansas, but the frequency does match up. 1900mhz. So basically I was wondering, if I use this RSD lite will it save my phone??? Please help

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused, so I'll throw in some info OP, and hopefully you can help clear things up.

Milestone =/= Droid. The Milestone will not work on the Verizon network, and there's no amount of flashing that will make it work. the Droid will not work on the Canadian GSM network, for the same reasons.

Which phone do you have? Where are you located, and what network do you want to connect to?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First the milestone is the euro version of the Droid and does not operate on verizon's cdma network in the US. The Verizon Motorola Droid is an A855. CDMA and WCDMA are two different network types.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

OP
G

givemerock1130

Reaction score
Its a motorola Milestone but not gsm. There is no sim card and the info for the phone lists it as a wcdma network. The sbf file claims to be a wcdma milestone update. sbf:milestone [And Developers] I am located in Great Bend Kansas USA. I want to reconnect to my Nex-tech wireless network. I assumed that if the frequencies matched up then it might work.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes if the sfb file is for stock 2.1 update 1 for the milestone using RSD lite will reflash the phone back to stock using that file.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nex-Tech is a CDMA (not WCDMA) network, so there is no way you can make the Milestone connect to it.

It has nothing to do with frequency. The way CDMA (most of the US, except AT&T and TMobile) and GSM (everyone else) share information, an in turn, use different hardware.

Sorry, OP. Consider trying to get on an American GSM network, though, I'm not sure how possible that is with the Milestone.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes it should work. If the frequencies match and it is wcdma it will work. If you need further assistance or reassurance go to the rescue squad part of the forum and post your question there. Hope this helps. :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it should work. If the frequencies match and it is wcdma it will work. If you need further assistance or reassurance go to the rescue squad part of the forum and post your question there. Hope this helps. :)

WCDMA is not the same as CDMA.... Nex-Tech uses the same hardware as the Verizon Network, which will not carry the Milestone. Where are you getting your information?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

WCDMA is not the same as CDMA.... Nex-Tech uses the same hardware as the Verizon Network, which will not carry the Milestone. Where are you getting your information?

Yes I know that wcdma and cdma are not the same. My info about his network is coming from the OP. I have no knowledge of what band and network type his network is. Also he mentioned the Mile stone and the Droid.

Last edited:

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moved to the Motorola Milestone section

Thanks

Sorry OP if you own a Milestone you will have to buy a CDMA version which is the Droid, model #A855.

Last edited:
OP
G

givemerock1130

Reaction score
well a quick update. I apparently have the unbranded droid that i keep hearing about from cellular south. the a854 (sorry bout that). I now believe that i need a different radio. I need one that is not locked to a carrier I think. Any ideas? Oh and RSD Lite cannot do anything with my phone. Every field says N/A except Version. Sorry I am a noob.

Reaction score
well a quick update. I apparently have the unbranded droid that i keep hearing about from cellular south. the a854 (sorry bout that). I now believe that i need a different radio. I need one that is not locked to a carrier I think. Any ideas? Oh and RSD Lite cannot do anything with my phone. Every field says N/A except Version. Sorry I am a noob.

Ok im seeing that the phone he has will work with his wireless provider and that they do offer the Motorola milestone. Im sure someone here can help you flash it back but some information on the network would be nice.
Code:
http://www.nex-techwireless.com/Document.aspx?id=304

Last edited: