MILESTONE 2.1 update and root guide

kbtima

Reaction score
2.1 update on a rooted milestone

I already rooted my milestone running 2.0.1, to install a different font.

If I update to 2.1 using About > System updates, will it stay rooted? If not, will it keep the fonts I put there?

If it won't stay rooted, will I be able to apply the technique described above, to root it?

I would rather avoid having all my data on the device wiped clean...

Thanks!

OP
craigcrawford1988
Reaction score
I already rooted my milestone running 2.0.1, to install a different font.

If I update to 2.1 using About > System updates, will it stay rooted? If not, will it keep the fonts I put there?

If it won't stay rooted, will I be able to apply the technique described above, to root it?

I would rather avoid having all my data on the device wiped clean...

Thanks!

If you flash the service version, you SHOULD keep all your data, but you will need to root again. However, this is purely speculation.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i will try it out and let you know what happens.

Just to recap... you are holding down the X key and not letting go of it, then hitting the power button, which you can let go off, and still not letting go of that X key the phone boots all of the way up?

It should go to the M logo then go to the recovery app, as long as you don't let go of the X key.

stev

Reaction score
hi guys, sorry I didnt reply, but i got my problem fixed!!! i just flashed the bootloader and all went back to normal.

im gonna try out the pulsar rom next :D

itsme3

Reaction score
I just want to be absolutely clear, this guide assumes starting with a non-rooted phone on 2.1update1?

If it goes wrong, can the default version be flashed back or will the phone be bricked? As long as you don't flash the bootloader itself, it should always be recoverable?

Thanks for the guide

stev

Reaction score
this guide flashes your milestone with a 2.1 stock rom. then it shows you how to root it. it works perfectly if you follow the instructions. i had a problem with my bootloader but i got that fixed if you read above.

itsme3

Reaction score
this guide flashes your milestone with a 2.1 stock rom. then it shows you how to root it. it works perfectly if you follow the instructions. i had a problem with my bootloader but i got that fixed if you read above.

So if I already have a stock 2.1 build, do I still follow all the steps? Will it work at all?

stev

Reaction score
all will be fine once you follow the steps...well it was for me. :)

cherrybombaz

Reaction score
Hmm. I seem to be having the same problem as stev. I also have the 90.78 bootloader, but when I tried flashing the 90.73 bootloader, but it would just hang at erasing flash memory.

OP
craigcrawford1988
Reaction score

cherrybombaz

Reaction score
Ok I got it working again. I just reflashed the vulnerable recovery with rsd lite. :)