Razr maxx hd in canada

AnneDruide

Reaction score
My question is extremely simple but NO ONE (not Verizon, not Motorola, not Bell Mobility, and not any of the Canadian carriers) has been able to answer it CLEARLY and SIMPLY.

The current RAZR MAXX HD is only offered through Verizon BUT it is described as a world phone that will work with International GSM carriers.

Will the RAZR MAXX HD work with Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada and provide 4G LTE service?

A Moto rep told me that the RAZR MAXX HD works on the following frequencies:
CDMA 800 1900, LTE B13, WCDMA 850 900 1900 2100, GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 EVDO Rev. A, HSDPA 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

What is LTE B13?

Why is it so hard to get a straight answer from anyone?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My question is extremely simple but NO ONE (not Verizon, not Motorola, not Bell Mobility, and not any of the Canadian carriers) has been able to answer it CLEARLY and SIMPLY.

The current RAZR MAXX HD is only offered through Verizon BUT it is described as a world phone that will work with International GSM carriers.

Will the RAZR MAXX HD work with Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada and provide 4G LTE service?

CDMA 800 1900, LTE B13, WCDMA 850 900 1900 2100, GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 EVDO Rev. A, HSDPA 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

What is LTE B13?

Well, I don't have good/clear answers to your questions. And, the reason Verizon or Motorola can't give you a straight answer is there is no simple answer they can give...there are simply to many "if this then that" or, "if that then this", if you know what I mean. First, I have no idea what LTE B13 is. It is probably a version of LTE operating on a frequency identified with a particular carrier or country...my guess. The Maxx HD is global, but here is where the confusion comes in. In the case of the U.S. version you first have to have Verizon "unlock" that capability. Then it gets progressively more confusing depending on what country you're visiting (in) and what network/carrier you're trying to communicate on. To simply put, in my experience, there is no simple answer, but basically if you are overseas it is a combination of local carrier, type network (CDMA or GSM), a Verizon unlock of the universal function and the right SIM card from the carrier. Then, you may only be able to make calls and receive text but no data. Now that you are totally confused, you're welcome:biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
A

AnneDruide

Reaction score
Verizon or Motorola can't give you a straight answer is there is no simple answer they can give...there are simply to many "if this then that" or, "if that then this", if you know what I mean. In the case of the U.S. version you first have to have Verizon "unlock" that capability. Then it gets progressively more confusing depending on what country you're visiting (in) and what network/carrier you're trying to communicate on. To simply put, in my experience, there is no simple answer, but basically if you are overseas it is a combination of local carrier, type network (CDMA or GSM), a Verizon unlock of the universal function and the right SIM card from the carrier. Then, you may only be able to make calls and receive text but no data.

Nice, I'd like to see a car manufacturer try THAT: "well your car WILL work DEPENDING on what country you're in and where you fill up and what kind of gasoline you use, etc." They'd be out of business is 2 seconds! And yet, smartphone manufacturers and carriers are NOT smart enough to know where and how and when and IF their phones will work?! What a complete load of BS!

I still do NOT have a satisfactory answer to my question:
Will the VERIZON RAZR MAXX HD work with Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada and provide 4G LTE service?

And MOTOROLA and VERIZON, LISTEN UP!
If you don't provide CLEAR and EXACT information about your phones you are losing THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS OF sales!
The RAZR MAXX HD looks really good on paper, but that's it!
I am NOT going to spend $600 to find out IF it works with International GSM/4G/LTE carriers!

So MOTOROLA and VERIZON...if you don't care to explain this mess you've created my $$$ is staying in my account :p

KaChow

Reaction score

Nice, I'd like to see a car manufacturer try THAT: "well your car WILL work DEPENDING on what country you're in and where you fill up and what kind of gasoline you use, etc." They'd be out of business is 2 seconds! And yet, smartphone manufacturers and carriers are NOT smart enough to know where and how and when and IF their phones will work?! What a complete load of BS!

I still do NOT have a satisfactory answer to my question:
Will the VERIZON RAZR MAXX HD work with Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada and provide 4G LTE service?

And MOTOROLA and VERIZON, LISTEN UP!
If you don't provide CLEAR and EXACT information about your phones you are losing THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS OF sales!
The RAZR MAXX HD looks really good on paper, but that's it!
I am NOT going to spend $600 to find out IF it works with International GSM/4G/LTE carriers!

So MOTOROLA and VERIZON...if you don't care to explain this mess you've created my $$$ is staying in my account :p

It certainly seems like the answer is hard to provide, because it is unclear whether or not the device works on those 2 carriers that you mention, there is simply no supporting information that states that it does. While the Razr Maxx HD has an unlocked SIM card and can be used Globally, I could not find the internet settings for either Bell or Virgin (I tend to use these as reference point.) If you take a look at the screenshots below which I pulled from the APN (Access Point Number) settings, this information is found in the Program menu. Which even though the APN settings do not display settings for either carrier, I still find it hard to believe that both CDMA carriers Bell and Virgin, do not appear as preferred options. With the CDMA device like the Razr/Maxx HD it is in general easier to change between CDMA then GSM, so it can be done, with CDMA's they tend to rely more on PRL's (Preferred Roaming List) which, if you go into Settings> About phone> Status> find PRL Version mine is "15192". PRL's can be "swapped", I have not done this on the Maxx HD, (for the most part people are often most concerned with swapping between GSM carriers.) In regards to PRL's this happens to be my most favorite discussion regarding the topic, and I recommend it if you are interested in understanding PRL's, and I'm sure there are Bell and Virgin PRL’s somewhere in that thread. One of the main reasons that you are receiving a “run-around answer” in regards to whether the Maxx HD will work on either of those two carriers, is because of the new Law that prohibits Unlocking phones, which can see the petition argument here. So, it is not so much that no one doesn’t have the answer it’s, no one wants to provide an answer and later be held accountable.

Last edited:

axehandler

Reaction score

What is LTE B13?

I can say that the RAZR Maxx HD will work on the Bell network in Canada, however data is stuck on the H+ network it will not access the LTE network. I used a Bell SIM.
You will have to enter the APN manually to get access to the data.

there's your straight answer.

illz1

Reaction score

What is LTE B13?

once the phone has been rooted an unlocked you should be able to use any carrier, i am currently using simple mobile on my razr maxx hd
an they are the equivalent to the unspoken ugly step child among the other phone companies, just make sure the sim card has been cut to fit phone