Sapphire 0.7.0 Location Information Issue

dhm116

Reaction score
I've been running Sapphire 0.7.0 without any real issues other than the Location bug for almost a day now.

I know this bug is marked resolved (Bug 55 – Location Information in news/weather widget and desk clock (as well as others)) and I've applied "fix" update through ROM Manager as well as manually updating the NetworkLocation.apk - neither of which seemed to resolve the issue where everything but Google Maps is unable to obtain any location information.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for resolving this?

Armyof2

Reaction score
I've been running Sapphire 0.7.0 without any real issues other than the Location bug for almost a day now.

I know this bug is marked resolved (Bug 55 – Location Information in news/weather widget and desk clock (as well as others)) and I've applied "fix" update through ROM Manager as well as manually updating the NetworkLocation.apk - neither of which seemed to resolve the issue where everything but Google Maps is unable to obtain any location information.

I had the same issue. I went back to BB .4 for the time being, but i really liked this rom. maybe if it gets fixed i'll go back

diverbelow

Reaction score

I also had this issue, and I deleted the NetworkLocation.apk that was in /systems/app, then I copied over the NetworkLocation.apk from 6.2 and you have to set the permissions to rw-r-r (users, group, others), which all can be done with Root Explorer. I power cycled and my Beautiful widget weather is working great, browsing location.

For the Voice, I did the same thing.

OP
D

dhm116

Reaction score

I also had this issue, and I deleted the NetworkLocation.apk that was in /systems/app, then I copied over the NetworkLocation.apk from 6.2 and you have to set the permissions to rw-r-r (users, group, others), which all can be done with Root Explorer. I power cycled and my Beautiful widget weather is working great, browsing location.

For the Voice, I did the same thing.

I just tried out the NetworkLocation.apk from 0.6.2 with no luck. Even Maps wouldn't retrieve the location with the version from 0.6.2, so I put the version from 0.7.0 back on. Maps will work with 0.7.0, but nothing else seems to. Permissions are correct. :(

stlcity

Reaction score
Guys I had the issue too..this is what lot of people did and it worked: go back to the stock 0.6.2 after a wipe. let all the apps download from the market through sync. Once all the apps are installed then install 0.7 over it without wiping. Location bug is fixed this way...it worked for a lot of people.

For the voice search use root explorer and replace the voice seacrh.apk from 0.6.2. Change permissions to rw-r-r. REBOOT. Will work.

mph122074

Reaction score
Guys I had the issue too..this is what lot of people did and it worked: go back to the stock 0.6.2 after a wipe. let all the apps download from the market through sync. Once all the apps are installed then install 0.7 over it without wiping. Location bug is fixed this way...it worked for a lot of people.

For the voice search use root explorer and replace the voice seacrh.apk from 0.6.2. Change permissions to rw-r-r. REBOOT. Will work.

yes moving the apk in to the system/apps folder is not enough to make this work...

using root explorer you must move the apk to the system/apps folder ( make sure at the top you change the little button to R/W so you can make the changes)

then it will ask you do you want to replace the existing one...say yes...

then go to the apk and long press on it...

select permissions...

user check read and write

Group check read only

Others check read only

THen you must reboot.

NOTE: if you tried to install the apk like an app you will also run in to an issues cause you will have one in the data/app folder as well...

you must delete this before beginning...it will cause you problems

OP
D

dhm116

Reaction score

I just did this - nearly the same resulting issues. The browser will now show the current location, however weather/news and IMDB (possibly others) will not pick up the current location.

mph122074

Reaction score

I just did this - nearly the same resulting issues. The browser will now show the current location, however weather/news and IMDB (possibly others) will not pick up the current location.

Did you just go in to the widgets and hit refresh...that is what did it for me...

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Maybe its time for a new saphire 0.80 release........dancedroid

OP
D

dhm116

Reaction score

Did you just go in to the widgets and hit refresh...that is what did it for me...

Wow - I feel a little stupid now....that totally worked :)

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
0.8 is still a little ways away sorry guys we know there have been issues in places for everyone... :) the next release will b a big one!!

and to answer the ETA question... my answer to you is when it is ready :-D

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well sniffle, why not release 0.7.1 with the bug fixes in place?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cbushnell

Reaction score

yes moving the apk in to the system/apps folder is not enough to make this work...

using root explorer you must move the apk to the system/apps folder ( make sure at the top you change the little button to R/W so you can make the changes)

then it will ask you do you want to replace the existing one...say yes...

then go to the apk and long press on it...

select permissions...

user check read and write

Group check read only

Others check read only

THen you must reboot.

NOTE: if you tried to install the apk like an app you will also run in to an issues cause you will have one in the data/app folder as well...

you must delete this before beginning...it will cause you problems

I tried the above fix as well... No go, I'm wondering if the fact that I reinstalled all of my apps through my Titanium backup originally caused the problem. I looked in the data/app folder for anything related to the network location apk and couldn't find any thing obvious. I don't have a problem with MAPs finding my location, only the browser (stock) and the News and Weather widget. Before I tried the above fix I was receiving a never ending "Acquiring location" after trying the above fix it changed to "Location unavailable update" (yes I tried the update, no go) I'm pretty sure I can wait for the next release, and will keep watching the forums for other ideas while waiting...:)

cb