samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

halame

Reaction score
Less than 24 hours after my husband got his Verizon Galaxy S III he dropped it about 12 inches and the screen shattered badly. He was angry and upset as we have had smartphones before and while we avoided dropping them, none of them were this fragile. We took it back to Radio Shack where we bought it and tried to return but they wouldn't take it back or replace it, they suggested contacting Samsung, which we did but Samsung wouldn't fix it under warranty (and the rep on the phone was very rude) but could replace the screen for $170. Other options were to buy the insurance ($6.99/mo +$99 deductible) but the Radio Shack rep said that the insurance company didn't have the replacement in stock and he suggested the Werk's screen replacement service for $99.99. We decided to go with the replacement service but honestly I just think this phone is going to be a nightmare, I really don't understand what users will be able to keep this thing intact- Gorilla glass? more like extra fragile glass (I can't think of a fragile, easily shattered animal lol)
Update: despite specifically asking the rep at Radio Shack if the Werx did this phone and if it would be replaced with the factory screen and he confidently said yes, Werx returned the phone promptly without a note and without being repaired and left a voice mail message (hilarious, right?) that they didn't repair this phone AND they were sending a refund check -$25 for shipping. Don't send your Galaxy S III to Werx. I'm so frustrated.

Last edited:

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I think people are misinterpreting what is on their phones. It is glass. Reinforced glass, but glass just the same. Glass breaks when hit. Sometimes it can take a hard hit like a baseball bat to a windshield, or a small hit like a pebble bouncing off the pavement and shattering the windshield. Both will break your glass windshield.
I suspect the real reason people are having "more" problems with his phone is because the screen is so big. Past phones have had smaller screens, and the smaller the screen the harder it is to damage. That, and the fact that this phone is so damn slick without a case, causing more inadvertent drops.

tda1

Reaction score
I keep viewing these smart azz comments in response to questions being posed about the samsung 3 glass. Bottomline the screen is very cheap and extremely fragile. I have owned the samsung galaxy 1 and samsung galaxy 2. I never encountered this issue with the predecessors. This by far has the cheapest glass in a smartphone currently out. It will be a miracle if anybody can make it two years without replacing the glass. I personally had mine crack after being enclosed in a very protective case and falling all of 18 inches onto a PLUSH carpeted floor. If you search the internet. These are an unreal amount of customers that are experiencing the same issue.

THANK YOU oohsixman!!

Yes, MOST of us understand that it is a delicate piece of equipment and "should" be handled with care. Yes, some of you are more careful with your "new toy". Congratulations for you! For many of us, it is a "tool", it is made to be portable, it needs to be able to withstand "potential" small mishaps. It is disheartening that some of you take the "carrier's" line, hook and sinker, that any damage to a screen is automatically the users fault. In the case mentioned here, it is a manufacture's defect. From the comments that I've read here, it may be a bad run of the glass. Mine and others, have glass cracked or shattered from insignificant impacts. Others seem to survive multiples of the same type of impact. The phone needs to be able to survive "normal" use. For a portable telephone that gets carried around on your person, that means some bumps and scratches. Period. I have no doubt that Samsung will fix it, or already have. My doubt is whether they will do anything for all of us with either the crappy glass, or the bad manufacturer's "run" on the glass.

Caesars

Reaction score
I'm all for the "put a case on your phone crowd"as I'm using defenders/diztronics. However it is CLEAR that either a bad batch of glass was used, or they're all bad and Samsung/glass company have a major problem.

Googorola MAXX

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
tda1 said:
THANK YOU oohsixman!!

Yes, MOST of us understand that it is a delicate piece of equipment and "should" be handled with care. Yes, some of you are more careful with your "new toy". Congratulations for you! For many of us, it is a "tool", it is made to be portable, it needs to be able to withstand "potential" small mishaps. It is disheartening that some of you take the "carrier's" line, hook and sinker, that any damage to a screen is automatically the users fault. In the case mentioned here, it is a manufacture's defect. From the comments that I've read here, it may be a bad run of the glass. Mine and others, have glass cracked or shattered from insignificant impacts. Others seem to survive multiples of the same type of impact. The phone needs to be able to survive "normal" use. For a portable telephone that gets carried around on your person, that means some bumps and scratches. Period. I have no doubt that Samsung will fix it, or already have. My doubt is whether they will do anything for all of us with either the crappy glass, or the bad manufacturer's "run" on the glass.

I have owned quite a few smartphones, I am I'm construction, where my devices take a beating, not once have I broken a screen on any of them, if you take care of your phone it will take care of you. But if you are a clumsy person who could care less about his/her surroundings, and trust me I know many people like that, usually those are the ones with the mishaps.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS/Galaxy Siii using Droid Forums

droidlethus

Reaction score
More Breakage

I'll add my S3 to the "glass breaking without earning it" crowd. I had the phone in my side pocket for half a day, during which time I was mostly either sitting and working on the computer, or getting up and doing mundane tasks around the house. Somehow, the screen broke right between the home button and the trim, just like the OP. Thankfully, it's a small break, and it does not seem to cause any problems. I'm just worried that the crack will spread.

That being said, after the crack appeared, I tried carrying my phone in my shirt pocket for a few days... and it popped out over hard flooring or concrete three or four times (and I felt appropriately foolish for this). However, the only damage it sustained was a little scratching on the back case; no problems with the glass.

Considering my experience and what I've read in this thread, I think there are two important things to keep in mind with the Galaxy S3. 1: Flex is your enemy. The phone should be able to take some moderate falls (or even 5 to 6 foot falls onto concrete), but do not let it flex! 2: I think there may have been a bad batch of glass. Assuming that the phone doesn't fall in a manner that strongly flexes the glass, I don't think this screen should break from standard use falls.

Everyone else who has had your screen break when it should not have, please post! I don't know how much effect a thread on Droid Forums could have, but it could only help for us all to speak out.

-

homesick

Reaction score
Another Victim

I saw this post awhile ago as another frusterated owner. 11 days after owning mine it fell from about 4 feet from my bathroom sink onto my tile floor. The screen was demolished. Spiderweb everywhere and would not turn on. The phone however, remained on, and there wasn't a scuff, scratch or scrape to be found on the phone anywhere else besides the screen. I couldn't believe my eyes. I tried to sweet talk vzw with no luck. I did contact Samsung and they said they would "evaluate" the phone and if it was considered a manufacturing defect they would replace it for free (shipping free as well). But it was a 7-14 day wait, and i needed my phone. So I sucked it up and paid the 100$ insurance. I expressed my concern to vzw that the screen should not have broken that easily. BTW I also had the case on it at the time that vzw was selling. Anyway, I now have my new phone from the insurance and have since purchased the otterbox defender case. I HATE IT. I want a durable phone back, even if it is 1.2mm thicker. Just my 2 cents.

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
It's all about how you treat the person on the other end of the phone...

Remember that ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

homesick

Reaction score
Agreed, I always try to be the nice customer. And they did everything they could. fact of the matter is, this phone has a defect, (or at least some phones do)

alanheng944

Reaction score
Same with my friend s3...its just suddenly crack without falling..after that she went to warranty but they told her there are not warranty for tat..it's scare me cos I'm using s3 too.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forum Alan. Hope you don't have the same problem. A good case will help protect it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

tda1

Reaction score
I have owned quite a few smartphones, I am I'm construction, where my devices take a beating, not once have I broken a screen on any of them, if you take care of your phone it will take care of you. But if you are a clumsy person who could care less about his/her surroundings, and trust me I know many people like that, usually those are the ones with the mishaps.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS/Galaxy Siii using Droid Forums

Yes and so have all of us with broken S3 displays. What's the point? You take care of your phones and the rest of us are clumsy idiots?

Manufacturers cut corners to save money, sometimes too much. Sometimes the manufacturing process is flawed, especially when rushing to market.

I would think that someone who is in construction would know that not everyone is as conscientious as you. Not everything is probably built to the standard that you set for yourself. Well maybe that is the case here. I have owned cells phones since 98, my only cracked screen was a blackberry pearl that cracked under the protective glass with age and no impact.

tda1

Reaction score
S3 Gorilla Glass Defective? Sign here.

I'll add my S3 to the "glass breaking without earning it" crowd. I had the phone in my side pocket for half a day, during which time I was mostly either sitting and working on the computer, or getting up and doing mundane tasks around the house. Somehow, the screen broke right between the home button and the trim, just like the OP. Thankfully, it's a small break, and it does not seem to cause any problems. I'm just worried that the crack will spread.

That being said, after the crack appeared, I tried carrying my phone in my shirt pocket for a few days... and it popped out over hard flooring or concrete three or four times (and I felt appropriately foolish for this). However, the only damage it sustained was a little scratching on the back case; no problems with the glass.

Considering my experience and what I've read in this thread, I think there are two important things to keep in mind with the Galaxy S3. 1: Flex is your enemy. The phone should be able to take some moderate falls (or even 5 to 6 foot falls onto concrete), but do not let it flex! 2: I think there may have been a bad batch of glass. Assuming that the phone doesn't fall in a manner that strongly flexes the glass, I don't think this screen should break from standard use falls.

Everyone else who has had your screen break when it should not have, please post! I don't know how much effect a thread on Droid Forums could have, but it could only help for us all to speak out.

-

Here is an attempt to get the carriers and Samsung to look into it, as opposed to just calling it abuse without any investigation or explanation.

From Corning's web site referring to the S3:

Visually stunning, incredibly tough Corning® Gorilla® Glass enables today’s sleekest smartphone and tablet designs, while providing exceptional damage resistance to the drops, bumps, and scrapes of everyday use. Gorilla Glass is sensitive enough for today’s most sophisticated touch applications, and is available with an easy-to-clean coating.

From Samsung's website:
"The expansive display is protected by Gorilla Glass 2.0 to guard against cracks and scratches and provide enhanced touchscreen responsiveness."

Please join this campaign:

http://www.change.org/petitions/spr...nk&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

I would also recommend filling out the complaint form at the FTC's site:
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.go...d.aspx?Lang=en

If you are one of those people who take extra good care of your phones, never had a mishap, never bumped or dropped one, or have never been in an accident, or tripped or spilled anything, I applaud you!

But there is no need to post how great you are. We already know.

Nicksdc

Reaction score
Wish I was joining this forum under different circumstances, other than to post about my cracked screens, but unfortunately that is not the case.

My phone was sitting on the night stand while connected to the charger. My 3yo tugged on the cord just enough for it to slide off. The 24" drop to the "hard" linoleum floor welcomed two lengthwise hairline cracks to their new home. All aesthetics. Still fully functional, no skip in responsiveness of the device. A few days later I had noticed another crack. It wasn't branching off the other cracks, but a new one all on its own. After retracing my thoughts, I couldn't tell you for the life of me where it was from. The next crack it received, I do remember. It bounced off a cabinet and on to the Spanish tile from about 5' 7", after I received a beautiful haymaker to the back of the head while I was talking on it. Honestly, there is a chance it was stepped on, as the surge of adrenaline caused me to direct focus away from the placement of my prized S3. However, where I found it would have made it difficult to be stepped on. Unlikely, but possible. The phone screen was shattered. Not functional. Although the rest of the phone was. I made a couple calls using S Voice with a black screen actually. Not a whole lot that build quality could of prevented there, so moving on... Three days later, after I received my new S3. I laid down on my work out bench. Sliding out of my pocket from the swim trunks I decided to wear, was my 32gb S3. The two foot drop on the concrete patio gave it two nice sized chips on the edge of the frame, along with two cracks. One that ran the length of the phone. The second one curved perfectly around the home button, almost as if to disguise itself as part of the design. Sammy's build quality had me on the fence, but I believe the design is flawed altogether The glass is beveled past the frame. Maybe it's just me and my friend physics, but our guess is that will make it prone to cracking. Or at least more fragile than your average smart phone. Needless to say I will not be getting another S3. My previous touch screens, (Omnia, Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid 3, Razr) all said no to crack. But not the S3. It is a crack fiend.

jwilly216

Reaction score
Nicksdc said:
Wish I was joining this forum under different circumstances, other than to post about my cracked screens, but unfortunately that is not the case.

My phone was sitting on the night stand while connected to the charger. My 3yo tugged on the cord just enough for it to slide off. The 24" drop to the "hard" linoleum floor welcomed two lengthwise hairline cracks to their new home. All aesthetics. Still fully functional, no skip in responsiveness of the device. A few days later I had noticed another crack. It wasn't branching off the other cracks, but a new one all on its own. After retracing my thoughts, I couldn't tell you for the life of me where it was from. The next crack it received, I do remember. It bounced off a cabinet and on to the Spanish tile from about 5' 7", after I received a beautiful haymaker to the back of the head while I was talking on it. Honestly, there is a chance it was stepped on, as the surge of adrenaline caused me to direct focus away from the placement of my prized S3. However, where I found it would have made it difficult to be stepped on. Unlikely, but possible. The phone screen was shattered. Not functional. Although the rest of the phone was. I made a couple calls using S Voice with a black screen actually. Not a whole lot that build quality could of prevented there, so moving on... Three days later, after I received my new S3. I laid down on my work out bench. Sliding out of my pocket from the swim trunks I decided to wear, was my 32gb S3. The two foot drop on the concrete patio gave it two nice sized chips on the edge of the frame, along with two cracks. One that ran the length of the phone. The second one curved perfectly around the home button, almost as if to disguise itself as part of the design. Sammy's build quality had me on the fence, but I believe the design is flawed altogether The glass is beveled past the frame. Maybe it's just me and my friend physics, but our guess is that will make it prone to cracking. Or at least more fragile than your average smart phone. Needless to say I will not be getting another S3. My previous touch screens, (Omnia, Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid X, Droid 3, Razr) all said no to crack. But not the S3. It is a crack fiend.

Lmao you drop your phone all the time like it's your job and then you blame Sammy for your cracked screen.
I'm curious as to why someone punched you do hard in the back of your had that your phone went flying.