does the s3 have gorilla glass?I could've swore it does.

jwilly216

Reaction score
I know this seems like something you could just Google but I'm getting conflicting results.
I was just in Verizon n one of their employees was trying to start an argument with me that the S3 does not have gorilla glass I told her it does have gorilla glass 2 but she kept saying over and over she just talked to the Samsung rep and they told her it does not have gorilla glass and almost everyone that comes in has a cracked screen which is BS. She was just trying to get me to buy a case because I wear my s3 naked. I was thinking; stop stating incorrect things as facts Verizon. they look increasingly foolish.
The s3 does have GG, right?

scott32746

Reaction score
I think I have read somewhere that the glass is Amoled. I have not had any troubles with it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The display is samoled I think... I've seen reports of gg2 for the glass... but idk for sure

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I left u the corning link where u asked this is another topic but I forgot where

thats the only legit place I've seen it say that.... Verizon and Samsung sites don't have it listed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

vzwdude

Reaction score
The sg 3 does have gorilla glass however the design of the screen ( from a profile view you can see the glass is higher than the edges of the device) leave it open to breakage. Gorilla glass is the biggest fraud out there. Get a case.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
vzwdude said:
The sg 3 does have gorilla glass however the design of the screen ( from a profile view you can see the glass is higher than the edges of the device) leave it open to breakage. Gorilla glass is the biggest fraud out there. Get a case.

What does Gorilla glass have anything to do with the glass being higher from the edges, that's a Samsung design, nothing to do with gorilla glass, and some more news for you, gorilla glass is scratch proof, not shatter proof, and the scratch protection is only up to 10H hardness, which means any metal, diamond with a hardness above 10H will scratch the screen, sand crystals will also scratch any fortified glass, including gorilla glass.

vzwdude

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
What does Gorilla glass have anything to do with the glass being higher from the edges, that's a Samsung design, nothing to do with gorilla glass, and some more news for you, gorilla glass is scratch proof, not shatter proof, and the scratch protection is only up to 10H hardness, which means any metal, diamond with a hardness above 10H will scratch the screen, sand crystals will also scratch any fortified glass, including gorilla glass.

I understand that. I'm just starting that people that think that gorilla glass is a reason to leave your device naked are mistaken

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
vzwdude said:
I understand that. I'm just starting that people that think that gorilla glass is a reason to leave your device naked are mistaken

I did it with my og droid 1 and every other phone and I've never cracked a screen until I accidentally dropped my BIONIC.

I love the way the s3 looks and I don't want to hide any of it being a case. It's comforting to know your device has gorilla glass either way due to its standards and tests is put through

akin67

Reaction score
If the Gorilla glass is supposed to be scratch proof, then the Galaxy S III does not have Gorilla glass. I was on a bus and placed the phone on the seat next to me for a second. The bus suddenly hit the brakes and the phone, with its shiny case went flying off the seat. Sure enough I now have a bunch of scratches on the phone screen. I normally never scratch my phones, this is a first. So the point of the story is either the Galaxy S III does NOT have gorilla glass, or gorilla glass is NOT scratch proof.

champaned_out

Reaction score
If the Gorilla glass is supposed to be scratch proof, then the Galaxy S III does not have Gorilla glass. I was on a bus and placed the phone on the seat next to me for a second. The bus suddenly hit the brakes and the phone, with its shiny case went flying off the seat. Sure enough I now have a bunch of scratches on the phone screen. I normally never scratch my phones, this is a first. So the point of the story is either the Galaxy S III does NOT have gorilla glass, or gorilla glass is NOT scratch proof.

did you not ready ANYTHING cybertec69 just said a few posts above you? IT IS scratch resistant but only up to a certain degree of impact and against certain materials.... if your going to argue that it isnt then go find your self a phone like the LG Dare or the Samsung Omnia or any other phone older than 4 years and see just how easily they are scratched with keys and other everyday items.. you can literally brush a set of keys across those phone's screen and end up with permanent visible scratches..

The S3 DOES have GG2.. that is a FACT.. stop spreading false information because you had an accident with your phone... gorilla glass does what it says it can do.. it just seems that some people have higher expectations and believe their product is supposed to be indestructible

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score

First: Yes, the Galaxy S3 has Gorilla Glass. Here is the Corning Gorilla Glass link that clearly listed the Samsung Galaxy S3 as having GG.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | SAMSUNG

So, Akin67, Don't say it doesn't have GG because of what happened to your phone because it is simply not true.

Champaned_out is exactly right. Gorilla glass is not a cure all end all never scratch surface. Here is some information from XDA that discusses the same information:

Misconception about Gorilla Glass - xda-developers

Now, based on your own account, your phone slid across the floor of the bus where there just might be some.....come on, you can say it....sand. Google Mohs hardness scale on this website and you will find a great article on the subject. If I find it I will update the post.

Not that I am picking on you and am being completely unsympathetic. I had my phone naked and was slow to order a case and screen protector and have a very small thin scratch to remind me why I always cover the screen. Sorry that happened to you but it is not because the phone doesn't have Gorilla Glass.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try using toothpaste to polish out the scratches.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score

Christ...lol Thank you...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2