Are Screen Protectors Really Needed? (On Gorilla Glass)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My daughter dropped her phone recently and cracked the screen really bad, spider webbed all over. I know that it's all about where it hits and how it hits; in her case it was the perfect (or imperfect) spot. I replaced the screen last night, so it's up & running again. But the posts and comments here made me think, and I might reconsider my opinion on screen protectors and glass. Maybe a good glass protector would have absorbed most of the impact and saved the screen? It's hard to say for sure, but the good points made in this thread have me reconsidering my point of view.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Screen protectors that cover the proximity sensor interfere with the operation of it.

Especially when it gets oily. When you get a call the screen either won't go off or won't come on, have to wipe it off.

Something to look out for.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Screen protectors that cover the proximity sensor interfere with the operation of it.

Especially when it gets oily. When you get a call the screen either won't go off or won't come on, have to wipe it off.

there will always be some give and take.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Very true. I haven't seen many brands that cover the proximity sensor in a while. I also shop for brands that clearly have a hole so the sensor is never covered by the protector.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've never had issues with covering sensors or touch.. but I don't buy them cheap ones..

LG G7

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I don't think the one on my old S5 is cheap perse, it may have been though.

The one on this G5 Plus is great, Supershieldz is the brand. After over a year it has little to no scratches and the edges are still bubble free. They were only $6.99 for a two pack from Amazon.

So cheap paid off. I know the one on my S5 was around $18 for a two pack and the edges wouldn't really stay stuck that well.
I've never had issues with covering sensors or touch.. but I don't buy them cheap ones..

LG G7

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I don't think the one on my old S5 is cheap perse, it may have been though.

The one on this G5 Plus is great, Supershieldz is the brand. After over a year it has little to no scratches and the edges are still bubble free. They were only $6.99 for a two pack from Amazon.

So cheap paid off. I know the one on my S5 was around $18 for a two pack and the edges wouldn't really stay stuck that well.
You can definitely get some good protection at nice prices.. Intelliarmor is one brand that makes them well for the price... But there are some brands out there that are cheap and useless..

Pixel 2 XL

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very true BK. I have had good luck and good results with both the Intelliarmor and Supershieldz brands. I have been using Supershieldz on my Z since I owned it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk