samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

jwilly216

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
I just ran over my S3 with my SUV, oops, and the damn screen just cracked, this Gorilla glass is horrid:icon_ devil:.

Now this does sound like Sammy's fault

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't think he was saying it was Samsung's fault but that he had other phones that survived similar drops whereas his gs3 is more fragile...unlike his other phones.

Nicksdc

Reaction score
Lmao you drop your phone all the time like it's your job and then you blame Sammy for your cracked screen.
I'm curious as to why someone punched you do hard in the back of your had that your phone went flying.

Inaccurate. I don't know how to measure my usage compared to what would be considered the average, but I do not excessively drop my phone. For half a decade I've been sporting touchscreen phones. In that time frame, there were dozens of bumps and falls. I've had two S3's. I would like to say they underwent my average use of a phone, but I didn't even them have them long enough before they cracked. Now I'm not blaming Sammy, but there is a reason why these posts are surfacing.

kyle10

Reaction score
I just thought I'd put my 2 cents in this. If u own a phone like this why would u not buy an otter box to be SURE you won't break it? I mean or at least a case. I drop mine all the time but thats wwhat the otter box is for. I have an otter box on my iPod old Droid incredible and my so and I will probably always buy otterbox cases for all my phones.Just saying.

Sent from my rooted galaxy s3

jwilly216

Reaction score
I'm careful with my expensive toys.learned that as a kid. Sometimes I drop it by accident but it has never cracked. If it does, that's my fault for dropping it. When we were younger,we'd have a parent yelling at us. Instead, we have grown adults wanting to tell at some one else.
Go figure.

Last edited:

jeasan

Reaction score
My glass is broken as well

I feel your pain! I am SO mad at myself right now. I have had this phone for about a month, went to get the Otterbox (I am rough w my phones) and it wasn't available yet. So I had a screen protector and the 2 part rubber and hard plastic case on it. I was just walking up the stairs w my phone in my hand and tripped, caught myself with my hand fisted around my phone and the bottom right corner is completely shattered. Yes, I put undue pressure on my phone. Yes, its a fragile piece of technology. Yes, I am irresponsible toddler. What's a girl to do though? The phone is too large to fit in my back or jacket pocket and most of my purses. It really does seem that the phone is much more fragile than phones I've had in the past. I do not have insurance (it's a company phone) nor do I have $600... I guess I'm going to go ahead and try replacing the glass, I have nothing to lose. Any feedback on replacement glass would be appreciated.

PS. I'm new to this forum, I came across it when I googled 'replacement screen for GS3'. It's disappointing to see how people are treated on this forum just looking for answers. I wanna punch stupid people in the throat as much as the next guy, but seriously, every post doesn't have to be responded to with a nasty comment.

jeasan

Reaction score
It ain't cheap, but it's a fix...

Simpson: The cost of repair cost for replacing the screen of the phone is approximately $ 178.61.
Simpson: You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).
Simpson: Can I help you with anything else?
ME: no, thank you, you've been very helpful
Simpson: You are welcome.
Simpson: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day

kyle10

Reaction score
I would buy the digitizer and or LCD myself and replace it with YouTube instrustions. It would save alot of money.

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S3- stock JB leak
HTC Incredible- JB Inc RC3

pamelak

Reaction score
BROKE in a 2 ft DROP- SHATTERED!!!

I saw this post awhile ago as another frusterated owner. 11 days after owning mine it fell from about 4 feet from my bathroom sink onto my tile floor. The screen was demolished. Spiderweb everywhere and would not turn on. The phone however, remained on, and there wasn't a scuff, scratch or scrape to be found on the phone anywhere else besides the screen. I couldn't believe my eyes. I tried to sweet talk vzw with no luck. I did contact Samsung and they said they would "evaluate" the phone and if it was considered a manufacturing defect they would replace it for free (shipping free as well). But it was a 7-14 day wait, and i needed my phone. So I sucked it up and paid the 100$ insurance. I expressed my concern to vzw that the screen should not have broken that easily. BTW I also had the case on it at the time that vzw was selling. Anyway, I now have my new phone from the insurance and have since purchased the otterbox defender case. I HATE IT. I want a durable phone back, even if it is 1.2mm thicker. Just my 2 cents.

My phone dropped out of my apron at work and SHATTERED!!! It worked for about half a day and then died. I had the original Galaxy and LOVED it for two years! I dropped that thing too many times to mention and IT NEVER EVEN SCRATCHED!!! Now a 600 $ phone touted to have this magic Gorilla glass and It shatters w/i only 3 months???
WTF???? I loves this phone but NOW I HATE it and warn EVERYONE!!!!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
pamelak said:
My phone dropped out of my apron at work and SHATTERED!!! It worked for about half a day and then died. I had the original Galaxy and LOVED it for two years! I dropped that thing too many times to mention and IT NEVER EVEN SCRATCHED!!! Now a 600 $ phone touted to have this magic Gorilla glass and It shatters w/i only 3 months???
WTF???? I loves this phone but NOW I HATE it and warn EVERYONE!!!!

Gorilla glass is just like any other fortified glass, they are all scratch proof to a certain extend "not shatter proof from drops directly impacting the glass", and anything over 10H hardness rating will also scratch the glass, like a steel knife with over 10H rating, or a diamond or a sand crystal, not anywhere have I seen a manufacturer of fortified glass claim it is shatter proof, it's still glass, and glass has a crazy tendency to shatter when dropped on a hard surface.

EricUnLtd

Reaction score
Man, people are pretty rough on phones lol. Thank goodness I haven't had any cracked screen incidents.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Broke the screen on my S3 today... I dropped it from about 30" out of the truck door onto the crushed stone driveway, broke in 2 spots.. I've been paying 3yrs for assuring, finally time to use it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Brian72

Reaction score
Broke the screen on my S3 today... I dropped it from about 30" out of the truck door onto the crushed stone driveway, broke in 2 spots.. I've been paying 3yrs for assuring, finally time to use it.

That sucks. Did you have a case on it? If so, what kind? On crushed stone I'd imagine there are not many cases that would prevent the glass impact.

Keep this in mind on the insurance: 3 years at $7/month plus $100 deductible = $352. Cost to fix your cracked glass through Samsung = $178. While it's nice to save $78 now, you're still behind. The insurance is mainly for lost/stolen phones or phones that are pretty much obliterated by damage. But if you like the peace of mind and don't notice the $7/month then it may be worth it. Depends on the individual I guess.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Previous to getting a smartphone. I had been getting good use out of my insurance. once I got my Og droid I was a lot more careful after that. It'd rather not go without my phone and my insurance is just another business expense. It's a miracle I haven't run it over yet with my skid steer or mower. I do landscaping and lots of opportunities for carnage. I'm wondering if I should leave jelly wiz on it when I send it in:D

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Got my assurion phone in 18hrs from the time I placed my claim...gotta say they are fast...phone seems perfect,not a mark or scratch anywhere.Using it makes me realize how much better jelly wiz is over stock ics...gotta do something about it today..