samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

ebrizzle

Reaction score
So I had my samsung for four days, and I sat down on the cushioned seat in my truck with it in my back pocket and crack!!! It shattered the very bottom of the screen glass right in between the home button and the trim. I came from an Iphone 4S and would keep it there unprotected all the time. I had no idea this screen is so fragile. This sucks. Good thing I got the insurance.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just ran over my S3 with my SUV, oops, and the damn screen just cracked, this Gorilla glass is horrid:icon_ devil:.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So I had my samsung for four days, and I sat down on the cushioned seat in my truck with it in my back pocket and crack!!! It shattered the very bottom of the screen glass right in between the home button and the trim. I came from an Iphone 4S and would keep it there unprotected all the time. I had no idea this screen is so fragile. This sucks. Good thing I got the insurance.

Sorry that this happened... there are some differences on the amount of pressure that's exerted on objects of different size... meaning that a longer and wider device will be more prone to flexing, than say a smaller iPhone..glad you have insurance though :)

My general rule of thumb is.... if its 600$ and I rely on it, put it in a case, and try to protect it... regardless of the manufacturers claims...
Hope this helps :)
DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Beka27

Reaction score
One thing I must say for Apple, I see so many people with shattered yet functioning Iphones... They are made to break but keep working... Lol

m4stersplint3r

Reaction score
Iphones are more prone to break from a fall anyway. I shattered my original Droid screen and it still worked for a few months, my buddy shattered his Droid X screen and used it for a year.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry that this happened... there are some differences on the amount of pressure that's exerted on objects of different size... meaning that a longer and wider device will be more prone to flexing, than say a smaller iPhone..glad you have insurance though :)

My general rule of thumb is.... if its 600$ and I rely on it, put it in a case, and try to protect it... regardless of the manufacturers claims...
Hope this helps :)
DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

This ^^^ is the primary reason why newer phones are "seemingly" more susceptible to breakage or cracking of the screen and/or digitizer from flex. Just look at the profile of the iPhone versus the profile of the Samsung S3, (or more so the RAZR) for instance. What is all too obvious is the thickness. Just like anything that is thinner, it's more flexible.

Also as 94lt1 points out, length and width of the phone (as well as shape) contribute to "leverage" which in turn will make it easier to twist and flex with less relative pressure than on the edges of a narrower and shorter length phone body. It's like when using a wrench. A longer wrench will provide greater leverage to loosen a stuck nut.

Motorola, Samsung and others are using exotic metals and unique materials to make these thin form factor devices less susceptible to flexing but in the end (pardon the pun) if you sit on it, your weight is too much to bear and they will give. Same holds true of phones carried in the front pocket and when you bend at the hips to reach for or lift something, or squat to work lower to the ground, the compression of the phone in your front pocket is again suffering undue flex.

It's not much different than how cars of earlier times used to be made of thick sheet metal and if you hit something, the car didn't show a sign of the hit, but whatever you hit would be badly damaged. Now cars are made to be lighter and so in an accident they are actually engineered to compress and absorb the impact (i.e. flex) rather than doing damage to the other party or to passengers. So, drive your car more carefully, and carry your phone more carefully and we'll all avoid unnecessary accidents.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Given that the phone is only a few days old, take it to verizon. Explain what happened and that you expected the phone would be much more durable. They are usually pretty good. It is worth a shot. You may still have to use your insurance but it would be a lot nicer if you didn't.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Given that the phone is only a few days old, take it to verizon. Explain what happened and that you expected the phone would be much more durable. They are usually pretty good. It is worth a shot. You may still have to use your insurance but it would be a lot nicer if you didn't.
That is not going to work, defective phone yes, damage do to :blink: is not in the return policy of any store.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh, I would not be so quick to assume that. I have had verizon replace phones that were past warranty, replace due to damage that I was admittedly responsible for but they felt shouldn't have happened, cracked screen because started as a tiny scratch and grew. I think depending on the circumstance, if you are honest and if they believe the phone should have been able to withstand it, then they may replace it. I always ask them first, am always honest and am quite often surprised what they will do.

I should add that I am never rude, never demanding and always appreciative. It is worth a try. The worst that can happen is they won't cover it and you use your insurance.

OP
E

ebrizzle

Reaction score
I spoke to Verizon and I have to go through insurance. It's asurion and it's a hundred deductible. I don't care so much about that, and I plan on being more careful next time. I'm more concerned with the phone being just released and with them stating that they'll replace with a "comparable device". I hope that that doesn't mean that if they don't have any samsung galaxy s3's on hand they'll send some other comparable android phone instead of purchasing a new one to send, as I understand most times they send refurbished units and with it being so new, I can't imagine there being too many out there yet.

And to the snootie condescending comments that give mention to my remark about my Iphone... I'm not an Iphone fanboy, nor an android fanboy as you seem to be. They are just phones. There are great things that I like that are unique to both of them. Some things I like better on the Iphone, and some things I like better on android. I'm really liking the Samsung despite my little mishap, and the fact that I'm used to longer battery life on the Iphone (though at least I can carry around an extra battery). I'm not here to argue about which is better, and if you are that much of a fanboy that you can't resist the urge to criticize me for owning an Iphone, than you should get a life. This is a forum that's for productive discussion and I posted the first post just to get some insight on how common my problem was, or if anybody else experienced the same and what the outcome was, or any other helpful information. Not to be assailed by some insecure Iphone hating trolls. Get a life.

I appreciate all of the other comments. There are lots of good people on these forums and I'm really getting into them and finding them useful with my new Samsung, and the android DROID forums app is very cool.

Beka27

Reaction score
I don't think Asurion has many S3s at all. Have you asked if they have any? If not, and if your phone is still working, I'd probably hold out and keep using it until they get some in. You're not going to want to downgrade to a lesser (or older) device.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the update ebrizzle. I believe they will send you a new s3. It doesn't seem they would have any refurbished ones o in stock yet. I do not think you will get a different phone. I believe the only reason they do that is if the phone was discontinued or not available.

mesii23

Reaction score
When I picked mine up at the Verizon store, they said that one of their displays arrived with cracked glass right out of the box so Gorilla Glass isn't perfect. So just be careful with it.

Sent from my 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S III using Forum Runner