[ROM] [ROM] Droid Concepts Froyo Releases [BETA versions]

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
kratos---let me know if you decide to stick with handcent, ill change the notification color to what ever you like ..

edit---after fooling around with it, i found what appears to be the file that needs altered to change that text color, however, no matter what i change the color to, after installing it, it force closes before even launching, ill keep looking at it and let you know if i figure it out

Last edited:

kratos

Reaction score
Its not just you, this is because some apps directly control their notification colors, like RomMananger, it uses it's own code rather than defaulting to the system default. So RomMananger is black as well, the only way to change it is to manually edit the app, but that's not easy, because the source for most apps isn't publicly available, so first you would have to find what file to edit and then the lines along with how to change it, so its often not even worth the time to try. What I would suggest is to email the developer of the app and ask him to either change to go with the system default color, or include options to pick your own notification color. I wish I could help, but this is out of my control, I have the same problem, but the only app I have like that is RomMananger, but I only use it to test with every new release. I will get a modified framework together for this problem, the text will still be black but it will be easier to read, so I'll get out for build 07. Also if you want, I prefer Go SMS Pro over handcent, just an idea if you want to check it out, its free as well, and has a lot of magnetizable features.

Here is something weird. The wording for any notification on the pull down is green, except the Handcent notifications. I have looked through the Handcent settings and cannot find anything that would change the notification wording color. I have attached a screenshot for you to see what I am talking about. I blacked out the last name of the contact for her privacy, but left the first and middle names so you can see what I am talking about.

Edit: I just uploaded this screenshot to my dropbox account and the dropbox notification wording is also in black. I have not noticed this with any other notification.

Kratos

I'll check that out and see if I like it better. Thanks for the tip.

I do know that CM and UD have an option in their custom settings to change the background and font colors for the individual notifications. Not sure if you want to check that out or not, but just letting you know.

kratos---let me know if you decide to stick with handcent, ill change the notification color to what ever you like ..

edit---after fooling around with it, i found what appears to be the file that needs altered to change that text color, however, no matter what i change the color to, after installing it, it force closes before even launching, ill keep looking at it and let you know if i figure it out

I'm gonna say that I am sticking with Handcent, for now. I'm gonna check out that other app and see if I like it better, but for now it's all Handcent.

Kratos

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
feeling generous?

Droid Concepts is looking for $15 to complete something special and enhance our user experience and base. So if you feel like donating a buck or two please do, we'd really appreciate it!

ps
Donate Link in signature

swallisa

Reaction score
feeling generous?

Droid Concepts is looking for $15 to complete something special and enhance our user experience and base. So if you feel like donating a buck or two please do, we'd really appreciate it!

ps
Donate Link in signature

This better be D1 related!!!! I'll be your huckleberry........................

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
feeling generous?

ps
Donate Link in signature

This better be D1 related!!!! I'll be your huckleberry........................

It will encompass all devices we will be supporting.. including the D1

Thanks man.. :)

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Thanks for the donations, we secured enough to proceed with our project, of course donations are always welcome and appreciated, but at this point, we have what we need, thanks Swallisa, and underwaterjr for the help.. :)

kratos

Reaction score
Ok, I have been using Go SMS Pro for a day or two now and, for the most part, I like it.

One thing that somewhat bugs me is that there are not many conversation style options. I like to change my style up a bit from time to time and only have to options for this. I miss being able to choose between a bunch like in Handcent. Handcent has traditional Android style (boxed), iOS bubble style, Blackberry style, and more.

Another thing that I am having a hard time getting used to is the way the sent and received messages are displayed in the conversation. I'm very used to sent messages being on the left and received messages being on the right. This is the way the default messaging app and Handcent (and even Chomp SMS if I remember correctly) display the messages. It's not a big deal, but it is hard to get used to.

One other thing that I have noticed with Go SMS Pro is that LauncherPro Plus doesn't show the new message count on the dock. It shows the new message count on the dock with the stock messaging app and Handcent, but not with Go SMS Pro. The problem with this is that sometimes I am using certain apps that are RAM intensive (mostly games, but sometimes other apps as well) and I don't receive the notification of the new message. I still receive the message, just not the sound notification or the notification in the notification bar. When I back out of the app, I can easily tell if I have a new message by looking on the dock to see the new message count. Since Go SMS Pro doesn't do this, I worry that I may miss an important message. So far, I have not been using a RAM intensive app and receiving a text at the same time, but it is only a matter of time before it happens.

Other than all of that, this one does seem to be a little quicker than Handcent and has much of the same customization options as Handcent. Some of which I really like are the ability to change the font, font color, backgrounds, background colors, etc. Also, My girlfriend sent and forwarded me a few MMS messages last night and they downloaded just fine. I'm not sure if that is because I have just recently rebooted my phone to make a MetaMorph change or not. Also, I can't help but wonder if it may have anything to do with how long my phone has been on without a reboot. Either way, it worked last night, whereas Handcent wasn't downloading MMS.

Woodyman, thank you very much for the suggestions! I am liking Go SMS Pro and plan to continue using it. I'll give it a few more days before I completely uninstall Handcent, just in case this app decides that it doesn't want to play nicely anymore. But, none the less, thank you!

Kratos

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
The thing that got me hooked on Go SMS Pro, was their customer support. If you make a suggestion of a good feature, that many will use and benefit from they will work on adding it to the app, And the review you just wrote me is pretty good.. So if you don't mind, I would copy and paste that into an email to the developer, maybe change some of the wording... lol, but I bet they will respond, to you. Also theres an option to make it stay persistent in memory in the app. Go to the main app screen, hit menu>settings>Important Tips and click enable GO SMS run persistently, I would think that they could easily add an option to switch what side the messages are on, and even add a Blackberry style for the convo, but I would defiantly recommend to email them and let them know the features of Handcent that you want, and say that those additions or plans would defiantly change your support to them. :)

Ok, I have been using Go SMS Pro for a day or two now and, for the most part, I like it.

One thing that somewhat bugs me is that there are not many conversation style options. I like to change my style up a bit from time to time and only have to options for this. I miss being able to choose between a bunch like in Handcent. Handcent has traditional Android style (boxed), iOS bubble style, Blackberry style, and more.

Another thing that I am having a hard time getting used to is the way the sent and received messages are displayed in the conversation. I'm very used to sent messages being on the left and received messages being on the right. This is the way the default messaging app and Handcent (and even Chomp SMS if I remember correctly) display the messages. It's not a big deal, but it is hard to get used to.

One other thing that I have noticed with Go SMS Pro is that LauncherPro Plus doesn't show the new message count on the dock. It shows the new message count on the dock with the stock messaging app and Handcent, but not with Go SMS Pro. The problem with this is that sometimes I am using certain apps that are RAM intensive (mostly games, but sometimes other apps as well) and I don't receive the notification of the new message. I still receive the message, just not the sound notification or the notification in the notification bar. When I back out of the app, I can easily tell if I have a new message by looking on the dock to see the new message count. Since Go SMS Pro doesn't do this, I worry that I may miss an important message. So far, I have not been using a RAM intensive app and receiving a text at the same time, but it is only a matter of time before it happens.

Other than all of that, this one does seem to be a little quicker than Handcent and has much of the same customization options as Handcent. Some of which I really like are the ability to change the font, font color, backgrounds, background colors, etc. Also, My girlfriend sent and forwarded me a few MMS messages last night and they downloaded just fine. I'm not sure if that is because I have just recently rebooted my phone to make a MetaMorph change or not. Also, I can't help but wonder if it may have anything to do with how long my phone has been on without a reboot. Either way, it worked last night, whereas Handcent wasn't downloading MMS.

Woodyman, thank you very much for the suggestions! I am liking Go SMS Pro and plan to continue using it. I'll give it a few more days before I completely uninstall Handcent, just in case this app decides that it doesn't want to play nicely anymore. But, none the less, thank you!

Kratos

underwaterjr

Reaction score

Hey just curious on which devices you'll be supporting. The reason I ask is like most of us with the D1 its time for an upgrade. I've been looking at the TB and the Dinc2, and really kind of liking the Dinc2. Just trying to feel out these new phones a little first, helps that I'm in no hurry since still great dev support for the old D1:).

kratos

Reaction score
The thing that got me hooked on Go SMS Pro, was their customer support. If you make a suggestion of a good feature, that many will use and benefit from they will work on adding it to the app, And the review you just wrote me is pretty good.. So if you don't mind, I would copy and paste that into an email to the developer, maybe change some of the wording... lol, but I bet they will respond, to you. Also theres an option to make it stay persistent in memory in the app. Go to the main app screen, hit menu>settings>Important Tips and click enable GO SMS run persistently, I would think that they could easily add an option to switch what side the messages are on, and even add a Blackberry style for the convo, but I would defiantly recommend to email them and let them know the features of Handcent that you want, and say that those additions or plans would defiantly change your support to them. :)

Kratos

Thanks for the suggestion, again. :D

I sent that to them in an email. Hopefully they will take into consideration my comments and suggestions. I typically don't email devs with suggestions or feature requests because the ones I did do that to in the past never responded or anything. It sounds like these devs are really good about working with their customers.

Kratos

underwaterjr

Reaction score
Kind of a weird thing that has been happening when I get a phone call. When I drag the slider to the right to answer it makes a loud noise like the ringtone gets cranked way up just as I get to the right side of the phone.

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
As of now I can say we support the D1 only, but we will be supporting the ThunderBolt in future releases.

as of now that is all but more devices will be coming, its just a matter of acquiring or getting people with them to work with us

Hey just curious on which devices you'll be supporting. The reason I ask is like most of us with the D1 its time for an upgrade. I've been looking at the TB and the Dinc2, and really kind of liking the Dinc2. Just trying to feel out these new phones a little first, helps that I'm in no hurry since still great dev support for the old D1:).

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Kind of a weird thing that has been happening when I get a phone call. When I drag the slider to the right to answer it makes a loud noise like the ringtone gets cranked way up just as I get to the right side of the phone.

I haven't had this happen, so first if any one else can confirm this that would help, because that would verify its a problem in the source rather than just an individual phone/app.

and also

underwaterjr, how many times has this happened, or does it happen every time?