Razr Maxx and the Maxx HD (In the first 14 days)

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Had an upgrade available since last year, pulled the trigger on the Maxx last week, yesterday I read about the Maxx HD (I know, I'm behind on the news) I guess it is coming relatively soon.
My question is, I obviously keep a phone for awhile, does it make sense to invoke the 14 day return option and wait a month or so for the most current model?
Never returned a phone before but I suppose it is Verizons policy that you can with fee and it is this every 4-6 month "Next latest" version that are the factors driving the decision neither of which are my policies.
Questions (possibly no answers yet):
- Is the Maxx going to be any different or just HD screen and camera?
- Would these "improvements" translate to more battery useage?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Honestly, no one can truthfully answer those questions for you at this point. Nothing is really known about the HD beyond rumors, and most of those revolve around the screen and the camera.

As for an increase in battery life, it's doubtful that it will see much of an improvement beyond the MAXX. It's possibly that there will be a slight improvement, but with the rumored higher resolution screen and other possible internal changes, I don't see it see it surpassing the MAXX in any meaningful way. And of course, that's assuming it will have a battery that's on par with the battery in the MAXX. Nothing is known there either.

So, in the end, at this point you really can't bank on much of anything about the HD besides the fact that we know something new is coming. I personally haven't read any rumors about the HD that would make me even remotely consider dropping my MAXX for it. The MAXX is the best Android phone I've ever had, and I've had a lot of Android phones. About the only thing I can think of that would make me think about it is if the HD comes with a truly groundbreaking camera, but given Motorola's history with cameras, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is do you like the screen on the MAXX. If you do then don't give the MAXX HD a second thought, and enjoy your amazing phone.

If you don't like the screen then return it while you can and play the waiting game for the MAXX HD. I would also not bet on the camera being so great it will make a difference either way, so I believe IMO that the screen is the only factor to consider.

Also with the same battery and a bigger higher resolution screen battery life would take a hit, at least it would seem that way. So again you would go from having the greatest phone on the market (IMO) with the best battery life (indisputable fact :) ), to having pretty much the same phone with a better screen (to those that are particular about that sort of thing) and probably a little worse battery life.

The choice is yours :biggrin:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is do you like the screen on the MAXX. If you do then don't give the MAXX HD a second thought, and enjoy your amazing phone.

Probably the best advice that can be given about deciding between the MAXX and the HD at this point. With the exception of the screen, all of the other improvements - including the camera - will probably be marginal in day-to-day use. I find the screen on the MAXX to be great, and that's coming from having had both the Galaxy Nexus and the Rezound with 720p screens. While I found the screens on both of those phones to be somewhat better, the difference really isn't all that pronounced, and I haven't missed either of them since going with the MAXX.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also relatively soon, could be as far off as two months.. we just don't know yet. And believe me, I'm anxiously awaiting this device :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I have 0 problems with the screen on the MAXX, and I even have the Ultra Fine screen protector on it which makes it a little hazy. I know others have had real issue with it, thus the creation of this MAXX HD I would assume but no complaints from me.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah I have 0 problems with the screen on the MAXX, and I even have the Ultra Fine screen protector on it which makes it a little hazy. I know others have had real issue with it, thus the creation of this MAXX HD I would assume but no complaints from me.

I just removed the screen protector from my defender and put a military shield on... my screen is awesome. The defenders screen protector makes the screen hazy...

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Mine had a screen protector on it (store put it on) it was a non-glare version. Considerable difference once removed.
Replaced with a standard clear protector.
The screen is very good. I still contend the colors are off but I really don't care it's not a matter of National Security whether the reds are really red or not.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's odd my screen has awesome colors.

Caesars

Reaction score
Honestly I know why the two week return policy is in place, and I'm as anti govt involvement as can be. BUT the way these carriers handle returns (and everything related to returning a phone) is complete bogusness lol.

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's odd my screen has awesome colors.

Colors are very vivid, when I pull up a random source (Forum, etc.) I sit my three phones next to my computer screen.
My computer shows Red, Droid X2 Red, Samsung Red my new Droid razr maxx Pink.
No denying it is the only Pink one ALL the rest are Red. No Big deal other than the fact I'm not a huge fan of Pink. At least that I'll admit.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Colors are very vivid, when I pull up a random source (Forum, etc.) I sit my three phones next to my computer screen.
My computer shows Red, Droid X2 Red, Samsung Red my new Droid razr maxx Pink.
No denying it is the only Pink one ALL the rest are Red. No Big deal other than the fact I'm not a huge fan of Pink. At least that I'll admit.

Hmm, wow. My reds are red, blues are blue... but I've seen a few razrs like yours. I guess I'm lucky, all 3 of the maxx's in my household are accurate in their depiction of colors.

For the record, I would love a pink paisley like the one like Jeff Burton played... or Brad Paisley of course :)

monkey_man

Reaction score
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I have 6 different monitors to look at... all looked different in colors even though one on one I see red as red, blue as blue, and green as green :p:icon_eek:. Without a reference point, I have got no clue as of which monitor is the correct one. Trust your eyes? :biggrin:

GSdub510

Reaction score
I'm on the same boat I got the Maxx last week, but if you have unlimited data and want to keep it, I suggest sticking with the Maxx. When the HD comes to Verizon, say bye to unlimited.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm on the same boat I got the Maxx last week, but if you have unlimited data and want to keep it, I suggest sticking with the Maxx. When the HD comes to Verizon, say bye to unlimited.

I "think" that the vanquish will be able to be gotten on contract and still keep your unlimited data. I just have a hunch. And I'm hoping it will drop before July. If it drops in July, I think that will greatly increase the chance of being forced to.go tiered.

I also think that if you add a line to get the device then you will still keep unlimited data.

These are my hunches. I personally think that tiered data will not be forced on us until August or September. That's just me though.