RAZR MAXX / Warranty

R

RETG

Verizon told me they have an agreement with Motorola which says they will only replace units older that 14 days with refurbished units our Motorola won't honor the RTV credits. However if you have insurance and place a claim, they are required to replace with new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Is this a new policy? I have had phones replaced under the Verizon insurance before and they were refurbished; not new.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is this a new policy? I have had phones replaced under the Verizon insurance before and they were refurbished; not new.

The understanding I have is the insurance pays for a brand new replacement but can only be used once. The reason it has to be a new phone is that the insurance carrier doesn't insure the risk of a refurbished phone not working but with a new replacement they have the manufacturer's warranty for 14 days to cover DOA replacements. You have to buy new insurance coverage on the replacement phone to continue protection.

I have never heard of an insurance company that will use refurbished product as a suitable replacement for an insured new product. They would rather pay to repair the existing product up to the cost of present value than replace with a like product which they have no repair history of.

If repairs exceed present depreciated value then they will replace with a new product of like or greater value. In the case of phones, they should replace with new and they send the defective unit off to be refurbished.

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The understanding I have is the insurance pays for a brand new replacement but can only be used once. The reason it has to be a new phone is that the insurance carrier doesn't insure the risk of a refurbished phone not working but with a new replacement they have the manufacturer's warranty for 14 days to cover DOA replacements. You have to buy new insurance coverage on the replacement phone to continue protection.

Asurion insures an insurance replacement for 90 days or the remainder of your manufacturer warranty (whichever is greater). This means that if your replacement craps out after 87 days, Asurion will replace it for free (no deductible). Your insurance also carries over from phone to phone or replacement to replacement. It can also be used twice within a 12 month period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Asurion insures an insurance replacement for 90 days or the remainder of your manufacturer warranty (whichever is greater). This means that if your replacement craps out after 87 days, Asurion will replace it for free (no deductible). Your insurance also carries over from phone to phone or replacement to replacement. It can also be used twice within a 12 month period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Agreed, and that is why they don't want replacements to be refurbished. If they allowed refurbished units the cost of second replacements would be higher due to more frequent replacements.

jhardy93

Reaction score
This thread never said what was wrong with the phone. I am still within my 14 days, but I think I have to go through Asurion. It sounds good that at least I will get a new phone. Has anyone gone through that process. How does it go? Do they wait to get your phone first? Or do they send you one and then you said back the old one?

msblueline

Reaction score
If you're still within your 14 days, why do you have to go through Asurion? Did you damage the phone or use it a manufacture defect?

I'd talk to Verizon first...

msblueline

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums.

mumra4ever

Reaction score
It may be on a case by case basis on new or used since it will depend on what's available.

On the deductible, Verizon's website and fine print does state $99; however, when I was at a verizon store, the salesperson was telling me $199. I just looked at the guy with the "are you f***ing retarted?" look and left the store.

Under normal circumstances, one should not require an extended warranty...however, if you are interested, I think BestBuy has the best deal...you pay monthly and there is no deductible.

R

RETG

Agreed, and that is why they don't want replacements to be refurbished. If they allowed refurbished units the cost of second replacements would be higher due to more frequent replacements.

Asurion will replace with a refurbished phone or a new phone. This is from their information regarding my insurance on my Droid....
"Your replacement device could be new or remanufactured. You may also receive generic accessories with lost, stolen or damaged claims."

If you have insurance and have Verizon you can see this statement for yourself at:
http://phoneclaim.com/verizon/lookupp

Just enter your phone number and zip code and it will take you to the brochure.

As I stated, I have had a phone replaced with a refurbished device.