Keep MAXX HD or return?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
How it behaves is all software, but the quality of the images are really all about the sensor and the lens. Motorola is still using many of the same basic camera hardware components that they've been using since the Droid X. I guess they figure it's still "good enough," which I suppose is the case for many people, but they're falling way behind everyone else on a feature that's increasingly important to many.

Doesn't the S3 use the same hardware as the iPhone 4S?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I don't think so. I know the camera in the 4S is made by Sony. I'm pretty sure Samsung makes their own cameras for most of their phones, but I could be mistaken about that.

I do know that I've gotten noticeably better results from the S3 than I did from the 4S that I owned for several months. They're not far off, but I like the quality of the pictures from the S3 better between the two.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Ahhhhh ... "sub par" camera or not, I am still keeping it :D Loving everything about this badboy thus far - except the excess bloat :rolleyes: - nothing root can't help though :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

PowrDroid

Reaction score
How it behaves is all software, but the quality of the images are really all about the sensor and the lens. Motorola is still using many of the same basic camera hardware components that they've been using since the Droid X. I guess they figure it's still "good enough," which I suppose is the case for many people, but they're falling way behind everyone else on a feature that's increasingly important to many.

We know that we can get quality images with the Moto hardware. The problems with the camera are poor auto-focus, first shot being underexposed, flash not synching with the shutter, undersaturated shots, etc., or as jntdroid says "inconsistency." I would think all of these problems are software addressable. Question: If addressed, would Moto address this in Jelly Bean or would it be a separate software update?

PowrDroid

Reaction score

I've read that they both use the same Sony hardware. Where I read that I couldn't say because I've been all over the web the past few days tracking down camera reviews and issues. :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
We know that we can get quality images with the Moto hardware. The problems with the camera are poor auto-focus, first shot being underexposed, flash not synching with the shutter, undersaturated shots, etc., or as jntdroid says "inconsistency." I would think all of these problems are software addressable. Question: If addressed, would Moto address this in Jelly Bean or would it be a separate software update?

If addressed, it would probably be in Jelly Bean. But if they haven't really addressed the same issues since the Droid X, I just don't see them doing it now. I completely agree the inconsistencies of the camera software are a huge part of it. But even with better software (which can be found through third-party camera apps), the camera is still limited in the quality of the images it can produce compared to other cameras out there because of its hardware. Software changes can definitely bring some improvements, but they won't dramatically change the quality of the images.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've read that they both use the same Sony hardware. Where I read that I couldn't say because I've been all over the web the past few days tracking down camera reviews and issues. :)

Well, it turns out that they both use very similar Sony chips - Samsung Securities (see Table 1). According to Samsung's information, they're not 100% identical, although iFixit tends to think they're pretty close. The aperture between the two is slightly different (2.6 on the S3 vs. 2.4 on the 4S). Any difference in the quality of the pictures between the two probably comes down to the lenses followed by the software.

I was thinking of the Galaxy S2, some of which used a Samsung-crafted sensor for the rear camera for some models.

Either way, Motorola needs to do some major catching up on cameras. :)

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
As long as I can get a picture like this, I will probably go with a Maxx HD.

IMG_20121024_175007.jpg

droidxep

Reaction score
macpro88 said:
Try Camera Zoom FX, one of my favorite camera apps and really out does the stock camera on almost any phone. I love this phone (I have the HD) and even with out the MAXX battery, I still get awesome battery life.

Now, I feel like, since you have already experienced the battery life on this phone, you're going to have a hard time using something else as your daily driver. I really don't think there is a device out there now that rivals in battery life, and I really don't think the Note 2 will be able to compete in battery life. And HTC has always had bad battery life, maybe the new one will be different, who knows.

Try the the camera app above I suggested and see what ya think.

Seems to me you might have an issue. See if you can exchange. Should not shut down when playing music in car mode, mine doesn't.

BUA+ --> Go into settings, accounts, tap on BUA+ and uncheck the sync options. If you sync and create new contacts under your Google account this feature is redundant and will eat some battery when trying to sync.

Also, again under settings, tap on "More..." under "Data Usage" and under "Mobile Networks" -->> Network Mode change from the default Global to LTE/CDMA only and that should help with battery life.

Also watch the battery stats in the settings to see whats eating your battery. Its always possible you ended up with a defective unit.

It was shutting down due the car dock, not sure why but the dock is getting returned.

Still concerned about battery life, already had lte chose.

bua contacts was not set to sync and I didn't see an option to stop media and file sync which is what keeps failing.

hotice

Reaction score
I love the Maxx HD! The Moto really needs to get with the program on the camera but I love the UI, the size, the materials/build, the waterproof nano-coating, the battery life, the speed, the microHDMI port (just tried it last night), and the display. Besides the camera I was most concerned about the display but it's bright enough and colors really pop off the thing. I'm very happy with my purchase! The camera is at least as good and probably better than the one on my Dx so I can live with it. Though the fact that no resolution option is there for anything under 6MP is just stupid. It should have 1024x768 at least - just something to be smaller for an email.

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
After using it side by side to my Thunderbolt, it really became clear how blue/greenish the screen is at lower brightness.

Reaction score
I got my razr max hd yesterday afternoon. I love it so far, but the more I stare at the Note 2, the more I wonder if I made the right decision. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and an OG Maxx.

The Nexus was nice for the nfc and flashing roms and such, but signal and battery life are very important to me and the phone offered neither. As much as I'd like to try the Note 2, I'm seriously concerned about the radios and whether I'll have signal where the Nexus did not. I put my Nexus next to a coworkers Droid X2 and while I could only get 0-1 bar of 3G (sometimes no service), he had 2-3 rock solid bars. Not to mention, my maxx hd has 2-3 solid bars as well where my nexus sometimes dropped service.

I like all the features of the Note 2, the stylus and being able to draw, etc, but I have to question how much I'll actually use the features, or if I'm just interested in it for the feature list.

The other thing don't particularly care for about Samsung is touch whiz. I don't like for the bright warm colors. I much prefer the dark theme of blur and Motorola. I suppose this could all be changed with a ROM.

I know I sound like I'm talking myself out of it, but I'm torn.

Here's my other question: If I return my maxx hd and get the note 2 when it comes out, if I decide I don't like it within 2 weeks, can I get another maxx hd?

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I got my razr max hd yesterday afternoon. I love it so far, but the more I stare at the Note 2, the more I wonder if I made the right decision. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and an OG Maxx.

The Nexus was nice for the nfc and flashing roms and such, but signal and battery life are very important to me and the phone offered neither. As much as I'd like to try the Note 2, I'm seriously concerned about the radios and whether I'll have signal where the Nexus did not. I put my Nexus next to a coworkers Droid X2 and while I could only get 0-1 bar of 3G (sometimes no service), he had 2-3 rock solid bars. Not to mention, my maxx hd has 2-3 solid bars as well where my nexus sometimes dropped service.

I like all the features of the Note 2, the stylus and being able to draw, etc, but I have to question how much I'll actually use the features, or if I'm just interested in it for the feature list.

The other thing don't particularly care for about Samsung is touch whiz. I don't like for the bright warm colors. I much prefer the dark theme of blur and Motorola. I suppose this could all be changed with a ROM.

I know I sound like I'm talking myself out of it, but I'm torn.

Here's my other question: If I return my maxx hd and get the note 2 when it comes out, if I decide I don't like it within 2 weeks, can I get another maxx hd?

I went and played. With the Note 2 today at a Sprint store, TouchWiz absolutely killed it for me! The notification pull down was a complete and utter cluster!

I too came from GNex to Maxx and now to Maxx HD and personally I love what Moto has done with Blur. Not too intrusive with subtle, useful additions here and there.

After playing with the Note2 I am convinced I made the right choice with the Maxx HD. Only thing that can lure me away now is if Google announces something huge (ahem ... Razr Nexus), but I don't foresee that happening :p

~~ Tapped from the 7th dimension~~

Reaction score
I went and played. With the Note 2 today at a Sprint store, TouchWiz absolutely killed it for me! The notification pull down was a complete and utter cluster!

I too came from GNex to Maxx and now to Maxx HD and personally I love what Moto has done with Blur. Not too intrusive with subtle, useful additions here and there.

After playing with the Note2 I am convinced I made the right choice with the Maxx HD. Only thing that can lure me away now is if Google announces something huge (ahem ... Razr Nexus), but I don't foresee that happening :p

~~ Tapped from the 7th dimension~~

I feel better now...maybe I'll have to wander to a sprint store for my own edification though