Keep MAXX HD or return?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh my god @ the camera griping. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS. I get this is a primary means of taking pics for some of you people, but is that pic at the bar where your friends are all being really cool and making faces really important to capture?

Use a real camera, this is for "surprise" pics. I cannot believe the camera is the main thing getting grief, you know it's a good ////smart - phone//// when that's the chief complaint.

I get that this is a phone, not a camera. It's a mini-computer, not a camera. etc. etc...

Problem is, every camera on every phone in the past year (and even 2 years in a handful of devices' cases) is also just a phone, just a computer, but can still take more consistent pictures than the latest Razr lineup. And in a lot of cases, flat out better pictures. If they all sucked, it wouldn't be an issue.

And you're exactly right - it's an incredible smartphone. It's great for Moto that this is one of the only complaints. But I'm tired of Moto being the only OEM to lag behind in this area. It's even been acknowledged in the Moto support forums that Moto is still lacking in this area compared to other OEMs.

And forget the bar - how about when you have 3 young kids running around? Those are the kind of surprise pics where it would be nice to take a quick shot and have it be relatively focused on a consistent basis, and if it's a lower light scenario, be able to have some sort or decent and consistent exposure. And again, this wouldn't be an expectation if there weren't so many other phones out there that could do this very thing.

People that are griping about the camera must be comparing it to iphone 4s, 5 or 3gs. Any other phone released on VZW has a camera that is as good or worse than what the Razr HD has. I have been very satisfied with this camera. It's better than fascinate or Dinc2 and pretty much as good as the Charge. It's better than any camera released by Motorola in the past (not much experience with OG razr but way better than bionic).

dan I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I've had (and this is not something I'm proud of) almost every major smartphone on Verizon and T-Mobile going back 2+ years. There's also a difference in "better" and "consistent". The latest Razr lineup can take good photos, but it's impossible to trust it to do anything consistently, especially if it's not a bright sunny day.

If the 3GS is a better camera, that's a problem. Heck, if the 4 is better, that's not good either - regardless of it being Apple.

Here's a list of phones I've owned that take better pictures on a much more consistent basis - some of these y'all might not agree with, others will probably be obvious:
  • Galaxy S3
  • Galaxy S2
  • Galaxy S Blaze 4G
  • Exhibit II 4G (arguable b/c the mp are low, but it was very consistent and took well balanced pictures)
  • HTC One X / S
  • HTC Sensation
  • HTC Thunderbolt / Inc2 (like I said, y'all might disagree ;))
  • Razr / Maxx -this is debatable, but I know for a fact they focused better and were more consistent
  • And obviously the 4S and 5.
I had the M and the Maxx HD and both cameras acted almost the same. In bright light scenarios, especially outside, it was great. You could argue that it wasn't as crisp if you zoomed in, but that's not realistic on a day to day basis and most don't care about that. But anything besides that perfect scenario, and you have to set everything up perfectly to get a good shot on a consistent basis. If I wanted to go to that much trouble, I'd grab our Nikon DSLR... or my wife's 4S... :tongue:

Last edited:

dan.dar

Reaction score
I've had Galaxy S fascinate, my wife has droid charge. Both phones when they came out were praised for their camera performance. I don't see them taking better photos. Charge was slightly better than fascinate but it's pretty comparable to the Maxx HD.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Reaction score
And forget the bar - how about when you have 3 young kids running around? Those are the kind of surprise pics where it would be nice to take a quick shot and have it be relatively focused on a consistent basis, and if it's a lower light scenario, be able to have some sort or decent and consistent exposure. And again, this wouldn't be an expectation if there weren't so many other phones out there that could do this very thing.

Kids running around? Taking pics of them with a cellphone? Nevermind a well lit area, you mention an poorly lit area. If you really own that 7D it's really going to waste with you if you're trying to take pictures of moving objects(your children no less, which you should mayyyybe use that 7d for) with a freaking cell phone.

Unbelievable. Literally.

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
Kids running around? Taking pics of them with a cellphone? Nevermind a well lit area, you mention an poorly lit area. If you really own that 7D it's really going to waste with you if you're trying to take pictures of moving objects(your children no less, which you should mayyyybe use that 7d for) with a freaking cell phone.

Unbelievable. Literally.
Obviously a 7D is much more ideal than a cell phone, but how many times have you been somewhere when you want to take a quick photo and don't have your DSLR with you? I go to many family gatherings and events where I don't always have my 7D with me, I want to be able to have somewhat usable photos that I can snap from my phone.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Unbelievable. Literally.

I would agree with you 100% if that was the norm. But "the norm" is way ahead of Motorola's cameras - and that's the problem.

Obviously a 7D is much more ideal than a cell phone, but how many times have you been somewhere when you want to take a quick photo and don't have your DSLR with you? I go to many family gatherings and events where I don't always have my 7D with me, I want to be able to have somewhat usable photos that I can snap from my phone.

Exactly.

Reaction score
I would agree with you 100% if that was the norm. But "the norm" is way ahead of Motorola's cameras - and that's the problem.

Exactly.
I can get on board with this, sorry for sounding cross

I think it's well worth the sacrifice, for me. No other phone can compare with the functionality, OOB battery life, and size of this one, period.

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
I can get on board with this, sorry for sounding cross

I think it's well worth the sacrifice, for me. No other phone can compare with the functionality, OOB battery life, and size of this one, period.
It's all personal opinion. For many, the camera is just a feature, and it's not a very important factor to them. For others such as myself, having only an adequate camera is a deal breaker.

This is the good thing about Android, there's a phone for everyone.

mgrande

Reaction score
I get my maxx hd today! When I was in the store I played a lot with the camera, trying to trick it into taking bad indoor pics. When I manually sdjusted exposure the pictures turned out great. Only gripe would be shutter lag. Maybe a software upgrade would fix it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
I get my maxx hd today! When I was in the store I played a lot with the camera, trying to trick it into taking bad indoor pics. When I manually sdjusted exposure the pictures turned out great. Only gripe would be shutter lag. Maybe a software upgrade would fix it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
When I messed with the MAXX HD in-store it actually took better photos than the GS3 or my current TB, but again it was just pictures of signs and text.