Phone in POOL

sports96

Reaction score
My phone fell into the pool and now I think it is toast. I have the warrany through Verizon. My question is how exactly does it work? I have the Droid 1, will they replace it with another Droid 1 or can I chose from any other phone they have? If i decide to to wait for the Iphone can I get that one? Which phone would you recommend?

Thanks

Shelooga

Reaction score
Well if you want to save it don't try powering it on. Keep it off and place it in a bag of rice for two days. I here that is a possible solution. As for warranties, I'm not sure how it goes but I assume droid for a droid. If you want to upgrade, wait for the bionic, atrix, or my least favorite choice, the popular but obsolete iphone

OP
sports96

sports96

Reaction score
If I do get a new phone through the warranty, do I have to sign a new 2 year agreement?

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Sorry to hear of your loss, I Dropped mine into a river now its a fish phone !
I did a post of my dealing with Asurion this link may take you to it
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...uggestions/116205-had-file-claim-asurion.html
So far replacement phone is doing ok. I am just now finding all of my "backuped" files.
Any questions let me know I'll be glade to help.
Paul
No to your question about the new 2 year agreement

Shelooga

Reaction score
If I do get a new phone through the warranty, do I have to sign a new 2 year agreement?

Again, I'm not sure about the warranty because I've never had one or used one, but id be shocked and disturbed if they made you renew your contact. My understanding is they'll just make you pay a small deductible and ship you a new one or send you to a verizon store in your area to pick up a new one

reizac926

Reaction score
They will give you the same one if they have it at their warehouse (a refurbished one) but if they don't, they will give you the one that their corporate office has predetermined to be the most comparable.
Beware, however, that you may get squat for protection or have to pay a deductible because of water damage. They rarely cover that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
youll get another droid 1 they have plenty in stock i just got 2 asurion replacements last week and both were droid 1's. if by some rare chance they dont have any droid 1's you might get lucky and get a droid 2 which is more or less the same exact phone but dont expect anything more then that.

Asurion does replace water damage and its the same 89 dollar deductible.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
Hmmm sorry 'bout your phone. My X got chewed up a week after rellease day- new puppy blues. It was in the Verizon "carbon fiber" case- chewed through. Although, I had Invisible shield screen protector- it was toast, but the screen underneath was 100% fine!
Anyway- I exchanged it w/ aasurion for a fee, & what the others have said is right. My two cents:
You're going to exchange yourbphone for a not so small fee. I asked the rep if the following is. Cool, & she said its just fine (but I understand why they don't advertise this)- they want the phone to try to refurbish it. They don't require the SD card or the battery. I now have a spare battery, & an SD card I can use however my devious mind chooses... sorry agaiin about your phone.
As if I'm not long winded enough already, but I think the iphone is NOT a world phone on GSM (if that's a factor for you). You might find your predicament a small blessing, if the D1 is close to end of life (EOL):
1) suffer with a cheap feature phone ( life youvdon't have your old phone, the pay as yo
u go will work, or ebay a cheepy)
2) wait untill the D1's EOL is up, then file your claim.
3) get upgraded to the new Droid Bionif is out and be bleeding edge. That phone is going to be soooooo tastey. I think it will b out in mid April is my guess.
Good luck.

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
Hey Sport96- I wrote thet from My DX as my morning coffe was brewing- afterword it occured to me- BE CAREFUL if you keep that old battery! there is an outside chance that the pool water could have snarfed the battery.
It goes like this: the water bridges the contacts, instead of the amperage doing proper work, through the phone circutry nice and slow like its supposed to- the current actually goes striaght from the - to the + pole, allowing the electricity to cascade out of the battery way too quickly, heat ensues, individual caells in the battery's resistence go way up by way of heat damage, poof- one snarfed battery. Mitigateing fact: the water in the pool would have acted like a heat sink, possibly wicking away the heat before damage was done. Yeah that's kinda out there, but I'll say if you can't verify its good, don't put it in your refurb. Sorry.
Battery Q's? Juicemane started a thread that is awespme, and alot of good info follows his great advice here:
Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum > Droid X Forum > Droid X General Discussions » Battery Life... You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!
This guy had a great link about Li batteries:

. . .So what is the consensus about a new battery? . . .

Here is an excellent article on the care and feeding of lithium ion batteries. It is slightly dated, newer batteries are rated to last longer, but the general guidelines are still true.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

billyidle

Reaction score
Don't forget the warranty is different than insurance. Verizon is not going to give you a new phone through the manafacture's warranty. You will only get it replaced if you have insurance on the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You dropped your phone in the pool. Warranty doesn't cover that -- and you rooted your phone so you toasted the warranty anyway. You need insurance. Do you HAVE insurance?