So I just saved a drowning kid...

modette

Reaction score
Glad it worked out, I otherwise was going to say ask the Y, the father of the kid, and the teacher...between those three that is only $200 each assuming an MSRP of $600. If it was my kid, I be taking you phone shopping...sorry the father did not put out.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great to hear it! Droid saves lives? Lol j/k

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

korp

Reaction score
As it not being a manufacturer defect, chances are close to none.

While it was a heroic act, you still are liable for the phone and the damage it incurs. Who knows, you might come across a sympathetic rep who can help you, but don't hold your breath.

Sorry about the phone, but I sure would have done the same thing.
They probably won't do anything but I would try.

Act of a great person though ... sorry for your loss.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So here's an update...

I went in to my local VZW (In Round Rock, TX on Loius Henna Blvd, off Greenlawn for those in Austin, TX) and talked with a great CSR named Mike. I told him what had happened and he took me serious, I even offered the incident report (for those of you who used their 1st post on this forum and were unsure if I was trying to get you to "comp me" a new phone , yes the YMCA does fill one out and I got a copy). He said he didn't need it. He looked some stuff up on my account and then went to the back. After about 10 minutes he came out with a "new" refurbished Droid. He told me that he had spoken to his manager and the manager told him that they were going to replace my phone, with one catch...

I had to buy a new battery. :icon_eek: What?? That's it?? Just buy a new battery? Needless to say that's what I did. $40 compared to $400 is a pretty good deal to me.

So that's why we went with VZW. They went beyond what they had to do to help a customer. I want to commend VZW, this one location and the CSR Mike for helping me out. They've got a customer for life.

Oh wait... I hear my alarm going off.

Now where did I put my cape?;)
That is an absolutely a great story, great ending, and hopefully restores some people's faith in VZW who may have had a bad experience. You deserve good things for what you did yesterday.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad it all worked out for you.

It's companies eating costs for little stuff like this that reminds me why I do business with them.

Now keep this one out of the pool :D

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great response and CS from VZW. Now the question is did you learn anything (i.e. did you get INSURANCE)? As a previous poster said it's worth it at least for a few months until you have another line available for upgrading (unsubsidized price is STILL upwards of $500 even online).

OP
C

catmcc

Reaction score
That is an absolutely a great story, great ending, and hopefully restores some people's faith in VZW who may have had a bad experience. You deserve good things for what you did yesterday.

Thanks. I don't deserve anything. I did what any dad would do; just acted (or reacted). I just hope that if one of my kids were in the same situation, someone acts and doesn't just stand there and wait for someone else to do something.

I guess we can close this thread, huh?

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
(for those of you who used their 1st post on this forum and were unsure if I was trying to get you to "comp me" a new phone , yes the YMCA does fill one out and I got a copy).

well, I see the butt-hurt is there when I wasn't saying I didn't believe you, only that I'm sure phone reps have heard all sorts of stories like this in order to get a free replacement phone.

I now know what to say if I get my phone wet, though.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
(for those of you who used their 1st post on this forum and were unsure if I was trying to get you to "comp me" a new phone , yes the YMCA does fill one out and I got a copy).

well, I see the butt-hurt is there when I wasn't saying I didn't believe you, only that I'm sure phone reps have heard all sorts of stories like this in order to get a free replacement phone.

Just make sure you run over to the YMCA and get them to write a report for you. I believe that is the bottom line why the O.P. was treated like he was....a hero.

As a former VZW Rep I could tell you so many stories about how their phones broke or got wet. This situation was unique in the fact he had the documentation to back him up.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

Just make sure you run over to the YMCA and get them to write a report for you. I believe that is the bottom line why the O.P. was treated like he was....a hero.

As a former VZW Rep I could tell you so many stories about how their phones broke or got wet. This situation was unique in the fact he had the documentation to back him up.

except the VZW rep didn't even need it or want it

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was at the city's downtown YMCA yesterday watching my 5 yr old daughter (who has Down syndrome) in her swim lessons. In the kiddie pool there were a few other classes going on w/ ages ranging from 3-6. In one of the classes as the teacher was gathering up her kids, she missed one little 5yr old boy. He was in the "deep" end (4ft) right in front of where I was sitting. Anyways, the teacher had lost track of him paying attention to the other kids in her class and his father was on the opposite side of the pool. I saw people pointing to my end and I see this kid bobbing up and down at my feet. There was a look of panic on his face and he couldn't get a hold of the edge and he wasn't tall enough to stand w/ his head above water so I just jumped in and pulled him up and moved him to the side and got him out of the water. Trust me, I just reacted as a dad.

But I had my Droid in my pocket and of course it got just as wet as me. So my question is: if I didn't get insurance, how likely is VZW to replace my phone (2 months old) if I explain to them what happened and provide a copy of the Y's incident report?

Thanks.

This is great thing you did, any way you look at. And I'm so glad it all worked out for you in the end! :i-m_so_happy:

trumpet444

Reaction score
honorable. if i had extra money, i would've donated to your paypal account and bought you a new phone. great to know there are still good people around

n813ca

Reaction score
See if you can get the pink sticker off the phone saying it got wet as well as the one off the battery. Let me know if you can take them off completly.