So I just saved a drowning kid...

cpinto

Reaction score
Again ... Thanks for the quick action. Much easier to replace a Droid, than a child.

I would explain the story to a Verizon supervisor, not a rep on the phone. Report your results back to us. We want to know.

Verizon has a program where you can buy refurbished phones for almost any reason, fairly cheap.

My guess is, they will cut you a pretty good deal.

If your phone is stolen, they will sell you a new phone at the 1 yr contract price.

If Verizon won't help, I'd be glad to start a fund to buy you a new one.

Craig Pinto

OP
C

catmcc

Reaction score
Again ... Thanks for the quick action. Much easier to replace a Droid, than a child.

I would explain the story to a Verizon supervisor, not a rep on the phone. Report your results back to us. We want to know.

Verizon has a program where you can buy refurbished phones for almost any reason, fairly cheap.

My guess is, they will cut you a pretty good deal.

If your phone is stolen, they will sell you a new phone at the 1 yr contract price.

If Verizon won't help, I'd be glad to start a fund to buy you a new one.

Craig Pinto

Thanks, man. I'm just searching for advice. I'll follow up once it's all taken care of.

Yodes

Reaction score
it is a noble sounding story and there is no reason for anyone here to doubt the legitamacy of the story, but you telling us this story isn't trying to get us to comp you a $500 phone either.

As bad as this sounds, people have *gasp* told stories like this to try and get a free phone with cell phone reps. Just be aware that the reason you got it wet doesn't matter to them, not because they are cold heartless sunsuvguns, but rather, because there is no way to verify the story

now, for the "I told you so" moment..... get insurance on the next phone

Except in this case their is. Having worked as a lifeguard at a YMCA in my younger years, if they followed procedure like every other place of business on this planet, there will be an accident report detailing what happened. Best you can do is go in and talk to them and show them the report.

Best of luck and good job! I commend you for what you did!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Download, install and run Internal Dryer app before going to Verizon.

Too bad about the phone, good on ya for your actions. I did something very similar... but it was my son and not someone elses.

DHood

Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes your Droid was in your pocket. It's also a shame that if you don't have insurance on the phone, there isn't any way that it will be replaced under warranty, because it was not a warranty issue. Believe me, in 2-1/2 at VZW, I heard everything. If you don't have any eligible phones on your account, they can offer you 1 year pricing on a brand new Droid, and that will extend the contract on that line out another 20 months.

my phone is actually the "add a line" phone attached to my wife's account.
It's ok, they can still offer you the 1 year discount on a new phone (Droid if you want another one), and will reset your line to 20 months for next eligibility. It doesn't matter if it's the primary or secondary line on the account. And, I would recommend you call *611 or 800-922-0204 and speak to CS directly. If they say "sorry" and don't offer you the 1 year pricing on the phone, then you need to mention this to them. If they act like you're from Mars, then politely escalate the call to supervisor. And, from a former VZW rep point of view, kill 'em with kindness the entire call.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but Vulcan, no matter where you are in your contract they can sell you any phone at the 1 year price and reset your contract to 20 months? And they can do this for any reason? Not that I wanna switch phones I love my droid, this just interests me...

OP - Great job, if you take the incident report and they don't give you a new phone for your deed then that's really crappy of them. Anyone hearing that story with an official document to prove legitimacy that doesn't do everything in their power to help you out is either just a bad person or in a really bad mood lol.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks that since it was the negligence of the YMCA staff that caused the OP's phone to get wet; that perhaps the YMCA should be held accountable; and foot the bill for a new device? Or at the very least, both the teacher and the kid's father should be HAPPY to foot the bill. The kid could have drowned.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks that since it was the negligence of the YMCA staff that caused the OP's phone to get wet; that perhaps the YMCA should be held accountable; and foot the bill for a new device? Or at the very least, both the teacher and the kid's father should be HAPPY to foot the bill. The kid could have drowned.

Not a bad route at all to attempt. Definitely something the OP should consider before forking over too much cash. Just try and be tactful about it.

Mojo

Reaction score

Not a bad route at all to attempt. Definitely something the OP should consider before forking over too much cash. Just try and be tactful about it.

I agree with this they should be held liable

OP
C

catmcc

Reaction score
** update **

So here's an update...

I went in to my local VZW (In Round Rock, TX on Loius Henna Blvd, off Greenlawn for those in Austin, TX) and talked with a great CSR named Mike. I told him what had happened and he took me serious, I even offered the incident report (for those of you who used their 1st post on this forum and were unsure if I was trying to get you to "comp me" a new phone , yes the YMCA does fill one out and I got a copy). He said he didn't need it. He looked some stuff up on my account and then went to the back. After about 10 minutes he came out with a "new" refurbished Droid. He told me that he had spoken to his manager and the manager told him that they were going to replace my phone, with one catch...

I had to buy a new battery. :icon_eek: What?? That's it?? Just buy a new battery? Needless to say that's what I did. $40 compared to $400 is a pretty good deal to me.

So that's why we went with VZW. They went beyond what they had to do to help a customer. I want to commend VZW, this one location and the CSR Mike for helping me out. They've got a customer for life.

Oh wait... I hear my alarm going off.

Now where did I put my cape?;)

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Glad it worked out!

Round Rock Donuts......Mmmmm

iPirate

Reaction score
So here's an update...

I went in to my local VZW (In Round Rock, TX on Loius Henna Blvd, off Greenlawn for those in Austin, TX) and talked with a great CSR named Mike. I told him what had happened and he took me serious, I even offered the incident report (for those of you who used their 1st post on this forum and were unsure if I was trying to get you to "comp me" a new phone , yes the YMCA does fill one out and I got a copy). He said he didn't need it. He looked some stuff up on my account and then went to the back. After about 10 minutes he came out with a "new" refurbished Droid. He told me that he had spoken to his manager and the manager told him that they were going to replace my phone, with one catch...

I had to buy a new battery. :icon_eek: What?? That's it?? Just buy a new battery? Needless to say that's what I did. $40 compared to $400 is a pretty good deal to me.

So that's why we went with VZW. They went beyond what they had to do to help a customer. I want to commend VZW, this one location and the CSR Mike for helping me out. They've got a customer for life.

Awesome, always nice people willing to help out in and around Austin. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So here's an update...

Verizon really is a good company. Great ending to a great story.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
awesome and thank you for what you did and for letting us know the outcome.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
What a great company VZW is , so nice of them they gave you a phone . I entered ATT's customer service center once , and in the office they had a banner something like this "Never give something extra to the customer , make them believe you are " along with other weird prices and awards for most calmed down customers .

Last edited: