Nexus or Rezound?

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I've been patiently waiting for the Nexus to arrive as I had convinced myself that it is the next great phone. I do have a few questions about differences I am hoping you guys can sort out...

Super AMOLED screen on the Nexus vs HD screen on the Rezound... What makes the AMOLED screen better. (I'm not super tech man)

8mp camera on the Rezound vs 5mp on the Nexus.. Is the 5mp better? The one on the Rezound has a double led flash.

Processor speed. 1.2ghz vs 1.5.. Doesn't seem like a lot. Which processor is the better one, or newer and able to be manipulated more?

I really don't care about the NFC as I've never needed to transfer stuff between my phone and anyone else's and if I need to know the weather I'll pull up the weather app.. Batteries are similar, and I really don't have a preference as to internal or external storage. I think 16gb is way more than I need, considering what I have on my OG. I also like that the Rezound has FM capability and the beats software has my attention...

I know the Nexus will have ICS out of the box, but I can probably wait a few months if I needed to... I'm starting to get worried that I will be disappointed with the Nexus if I hold out and show up in store the day it is released.

can any of you alleviate my fears or point out why I should wait? I've never rooted a phone or changed the software in any way. I just turned my OG on, added my apps, and use it every day.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Screens: The Rezound technically has a higher ppi, but you should really see them side by side in person. I'm not sure there'd be much difference between the two honestly, both are excellent. Rezounds wins.

Camera: Both have excellent cameras. The Nexus has zero shutter lag, which means you can snap pictures as fast as you can hit the button. Mp's don't mean much unless you're making posters. Nexus wins.

Processor: The qualcomm in the Rezound is good, but in my opinion is inferior to the omap in the Nexus. The Nexus is also underclocked to 1.2 - that omap chip is rated at 1.5. The Nexus has a modified older gpu, but it's still no slouch. Nexus wins.

Beats: This is entirely a gimmick. Don't buy based on this. Put an equalizer on the Nexus and call it a day. The headphones with the Rezound are nice though. Push.

ICS: This is tricky. Do you like HTC Sense? Some do, others don't. I see you have an OG, so you're used to vanilla android. You may want to stick with the Nexus if you like the stock android experience. Nexus wins.

I would wait til the Nexus is released and go in and play with each. Both are great, both will last you for the next two years of your contract.

DamirD1984

Reaction score
If I was you, just wait and see when the SGN comes out. That is, if you're willing to wait another week or two.

Or go to the store, and take a look at the Rezound. My advice is, go take a look at the Rezound, and play with it for a while. If you feel content with its offerings, then I do not see anything wrong for picking up the Rezound over SGN.
If you're happy, then thats all it matters. How does that saying go? "The grass isn't always greener on the other side."

mightybrick

Reaction score
Also, the OMAP in the Nexus has a dual channel memory controller:

Google engineers were likely also drawn to the OMAP for its use of a dual-channel memory controller. Android’s multitasking system means that data is constantly being moved into, and out of, active memory. This is definitely a strength of TI’s OMAP parts.
Why the Galaxy Nexus uses OMAP instead of Exynos | ExtremeTech

Tallen1331

Reaction score
SO, to be clear im going to be getting the Gnex, however with every phone there are negatives'

Im anticipating the camera on the rezound being better for picture quality. but the zero shutter lag on the nexus is a pretty great feature.

The processors for each will pretty much be the same in overall performance. the Nexus uses a 1.5ghz omap clocked down to 1.2, so if you are into overclocking.. people are confident that being able to reach the 2.0ghz mark is likely for the Gnex.

I went to the verizon store yesterday and played with the rezound's screen and while it was ridiculously crisp i was really unimpressed with its brightness and its "pop". compared to my friends old fascinate, the htc screen just seemed dull.

umm, ics will be great, and ive never really used sense... but that's probably a personal call. and it remains to be seen how htc will skin ics and how long it will take them to do so.

O, and the gnex has been confirmed to have a 1850mah battery compared to the rezounds 1620mah (need to check that but im pretty sure thats the size)

and the 32gb limit is the only thing im concerned about, but i plan on trying out google music and hopefully that will take care of my storage woes considering i normally keep about 14gm of music on my DX atm.

either way u cant go wrong imo, end of the day its your call

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My judgement on the rezound from playing with it for a while...boring. Then again...Ive had the tbolt for a while...and I HATE sense. Its a resource hog...the overlay is ugly...and its slow. Thats my 2 cents. I know others may not agree...and it really is preference, but I dont see myself owning another HTC phone unless its truly remarkable. I am really happy with the Tbolt once I put liquids rom on it.

Im gonna give my money for the nexus. AOSP doesnt have to be skinned with "blur" or "senseUI" or touchwiz...all of which add lag to the OS in my opinion.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Screens: The Rezound technically has a higher ppi, but you should really see them side by side in person. I'm not sure there'd be much difference between the two honestly, both are excellent. Rezounds wins.

Camera: Both have excellent cameras. The Nexus has zero shutter lag, which means you can snap pictures as fast as you can hit the button. Mp's don't mean much unless you're making posters. Nexus wins.

Processor: The qualcomm in the Rezound is good, but in my opinion is inferior to the omap in the Nexus. The Nexus is also underclocked to 1.2 - that omap chip is rated at 1.5. The Nexus has a modified older gpu, but it's still no slouch. Nexus wins.

Beats: This is entirely a gimmick. Don't buy based on this. Put an equalizer on the Nexus and call it a day. The headphones with the Rezound are nice though. Push.

ICS: This is tricky. Do you like HTC Sense? Some do, others don't. I see you have an OG, so you're used to vanilla android. You may want to stick with the Nexus if you like the stock android experience. Nexus wins.

I would wait til the Nexus is released and go in and play with each. Both are great, both will last you for the next two years of your contract.

+1

Great breakdown sbenson.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That Rezound has a case on it in that photo, the back is actually one of the nicer parts of the phone, nice and grippy'.

But, Nexus all the way, Sbenson pretty much explained it as I would.

Felix 222

Reaction score
That Rezound has a case on it in that photo, the back is actually one of the nicer parts of the phone, nice and grippy'.

But, Nexus all the way, Sbenson pretty much explained it as I would.

Ah, I see the outline of the case now! Thanks!

OP
M

mikeinctown

Reaction score

I have never used another Android phone. I only know my OG and at this point I don't even have any widgits installed. just shortcuts to whatever app i may want to use. I barely even use it to surf the web as it is so slow anymore. It is very simple and basis. I will have to find out what the Sense is.

Oddly enough I just looked up the Droid specs... Single 600mhz processor, 256k memory, and a 5mp camera... Now dual core 1.5, 1gb ddr2, and a way better camera... technology.. wow.

authority11

Reaction score
I went to the store yesterday to play with the Rezound, and while the screen was AMAZING, the Sense UI just kills the phone for me. Despite it being a 1.5ghz dual processor phone, the lag in switching from home screens and other various things involving the Sense UI was pretty unacceptable to me. If the Rezound didn't have Sense it would be a REALLY tough call between this phone and the Nexus, but because of Sense, I'm definitely going with the Nexus.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
People underestimate what nfc can do. Imagine not having to carry with you your wallet or purse to pay for things at the store or online.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have never used another Android phone. I only know my OG and at this point I don't even have any widgits installed. just shortcuts to whatever app i may want to use. I barely even use it to surf the web as it is so slow anymore. It is very simple and basis. I will have to find out what the Sense is.

Oddly enough I just looked up the Droid specs... Single 600mhz processor, 256k memory, and a 5mp camera... Now dual core 1.5, 1gb ddr2, and a way better camera... technology.. wow.

Sense is just a user interface overlay that HTC puts on all their phones. It gives their phones a distinct personality which distinguishes them from Samsung, Motorola and Vanilla Android. It comes at a price though, many times these manufacturer overlays can be laggy.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Being completely honest, coming from the OG Droid, I think you're going to be absolutely blown away by the Nexus. If you were coming from a Bionic, T-bolt, X, ect, I think you'd still be fairly impressed, but not as much as coming from the Dinodroid that most of us here have :)