AMOLED screens and that damn green tint...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hey , I guess displays are like music , not everybody likes the same style .

This.

Our eyes and ears perceive things differently from another person.

I don't understand why some people need to point out why "this" or "that" is better. If whatever choice makes the user happy then let them be. Be glad we are given so many choices of android like they're different genres of music. As android fans/users we're given different phones to meet our preferences. If we all wanted to agree on every little thing then we all would be on an iPhone forum. Enjoy the freedom we have in choosing our devices and no need to put down others of what they consider the "best" phone.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
Speaking of adjusting color temperature on the display once the Nexus is rooted, can you also adjust things like contrast, saturation, etc, just like you could on a regular monitor or tv? That would be pretty sweet. Although I'm not sure that changing the display's temperature would do anything to fix the green tint issue. Maybe if there was a Tint and Temperature adjustment?

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
And this is why I say the Bionic's display is terrible. The low resolution pentile matrix makes it as if I'm looking through a screen door at all times. Better than the Rezound? Pff

Macro-Bionic.jpg

This is funny! Who looks at any screen this close?! So ridiculous. I love my Bionic AND it's screen. So does everyone else that views it.

For the record, I am ashamed of myself for entering this conversation. :p

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
This is funny! Who looks at any screen this close?! So ridiculous. I love my Bionic AND it's screen. So does everyone else that views it.

Like I said before, I DON'T need to view it that close to see the matrix. I can clearly see this when looking at the Bionic, especially on white backgrounds. It's honestly like looking through a screen door for me, and I do not like it. Maybe I have a more critical eye than most people I guess. I do photography, so color accuracy is a big deal for me. I use special software and hardware to color-calibrate all my monitors, and I calibrate my HDTVs. I notice things that the average user doesn't, apparently.

This is what I do to ever monitor I own, heck, even my work laptop!

spyder3_6_calib_dell.jpg

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Like I said before, I DON'T need to view it that close to see the matrix. I can clearly see this when looking at the Bionic, especially on white backgrounds. It's honestly like looking through a screen door for me, and I do not like it. Maybe I have a more critical eye than most people I guess. I do photography, so color accuracy is a big deal for me. I use special software and hardware to color-calibrate all my monitors, and I calibrate my HDTVs. I notice things that the average user doesn't, apparently.

spyder3_6_calib_dell.jpg

Woah, what is this contraption?

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
Woah, what is this contraption?

:)

The only way to ensure the colors you see on a monitor are accurate. Especially if you print stuff out. It's very hard to achieve WYSIWYG with photos on a computer monitor compared to when you actually print them out. I do a lot of photo editing, so if your monitor isn't calibrated correctly, the end results will be bad.

Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
:)

The only way to ensure the colors you see on a monitor are accurate. Especially if you print stuff out. It's very hard to achieve WYSIWYG with photos on a computer monitor compared to when you actually print them out. I do a lot of photo editing, so if your monitor isn't calibrated correctly, the end results will be bad.

Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions

So this basically calibrates any sort of monitor to the optimal setting? I wonder how much of a difference this piece of hardware would change my device settings...

B

bens42608

+1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
So this basically calibrates any sort of monitor to the optimal setting? I wonder how much of a difference this piece of hardware would change my device settings...

Yup. You just run hang the tool over the screen and run the software. The installed software makes the adjustments, so you don't actually touch the built-in settings that monitors have. When the computer boots up, it will be un-calibrated. But as soon as everything is up and running, the software kicks in and reverts to the adjusted settings. It actually makes a huge difference! The software lets you see side-by-side how the colors looked before and after. Most people assume monitors and TVs display colors correctly right out of the box. This couldn't be farther from the truth. They aren't calibrated at all. It's up to the user to calibrate it.

This makes a huge difference when looking at photos of people, as even the slightest variation in color can make skin tones and white balance appear to be off.

And I rent this unit, since it's expensive to buy. You can rent it for a couple of bucks here: LensAlign, Datacolor, Printer Calibration, Display Calibration Rentals

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup. You just run hang the tool over the screen and run the software. The installed software makes the adjustments, so you don't actually touch the built-in settings that monitors have. When the computer boots up, it will be un-calibrated. But as soon as everything is up and running, the software kicks in and reverts to the adjusted settings. It actually makes a huge difference! The software lets you see side-by-side how the colors looked before and after. Most people assume monitors and TVs display colors correctly right out of the box. This couldn't be farther from the truth. They aren't calibrated at all. It's up to the user to calibrate it.

This makes a huge difference when looking at photos of people, as even the slightest variation in color can make skin tones and white balance appear to be off.

And I rent this unit, since it's expensive to buy. You can rent it for a couple of bucks here: LensAlign, Datacolor, Printer Calibration, Display Calibration Rentals
Wow didn't think you could rent it, I may be considering it now....

Thanks for posting this. I'm no photographer, but I'm always down for getting the most for my money.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
No problem, and yeah you definitely don't have to be a photographer to want to see true and accurate colors. Given that photos these days are viewed and shared digitally and hardly anybody prints stuff out anymore, it makes sense to want to have a calibrated monitor. And think about it, how many people out there are basing reviews and opinions of camera quality using an un-calibrated monitor? The concept of garbage in-garbage out applies well here :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No problem, and yeah you definitely don't have to be a photographer to want to see true and accurate colors. Given that photos these days are viewed and shared digitally and hardly anybody prints stuff out anymore, it makes sense to want to have a calibrated monitor. And think about it, how many people out there are basing reviews and opinions of camera quality using an un-calibrated monitor? The concept of garbage in-garbage out applies well here :)
Yeah I'm not into photography at all, but from the few reviews I've seen they do alot of hands-on and rely on the monitor of the camera itself. Now that I think about it I haven't seen any reviews hook up their camera to a PC/TV to view pictures. I'm just talking digital cameras and I'm sure you have a whole different stand on those.

As for me, the benefits would be for watching my shows or playing my games. I play all sorts of different games from Madden to Assassin's Creed and the colors greatly vary between each game.

combatmedic870

Reaction score

spyder3_6_calib_dell.jpg

they do make these for tablets as well.

k.wag

Reaction score
SunFilter app helps correct green tint.

Noticed distinct green tint on Razr Maxx screen as soon as
I opened the box and fired the phone up.

Spent a few days researching on web, and ran across SunFilter
app in the Play Store.

Takes some noodling with the slider settings to figure out how app
works. But once dialied in, it significantly improved gray scale and
color accuracy on my Razr Maxx screen.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
My Nexus has a slight yellowish brown tint on darker, grayish colors when the brightness is down very low. It seems to be very noticeable when the lights are off and while it is charging. I barely notice it in everyday use, if at all. So I didn't bother with an exchange or anything like that, since I got one that actually has decent reception. I can sacrifice a perfect display while laying in bed at night for good reception. It doesn't affect things like videos or games, just spans of solid color. The screen is still gorgeous, I prefer it to that of my iPod touch screen, which is of the newest model with retina display. I honestly don't see the huge fuss around that retina display garbage.