New User Here - wondering about dropped calls

jerkk

Reaction score
I'm an iPhone 3G owner and basically happy with the device but it's now 3 years old and obviously long in the tooth. I'm not generally a heavy data user but a smart phone is nearly mandatory in my job (pilot) for various things I do.

But my biggest gripe is the number of dropped calls. I know some of it is AT&T and some may be the iPhone itself.

I am prepared to make the leap to a Motorola and I really like the RAZR. I had Motorolas in the past and before my iPhone/AT&T experiment I was with Alltel and I liked them. They were, IIRC, operating over the Verizon network and with my old Motorola Razr flip phone I don't really ever recall dropped calls or lack of signal coverage. It's been a constant source of annoyance with AT&T and the iPhone.

What can you users tell me about the new RAZR in terms of signal with Verizon and dropped calls. Most of my usage is in large and medium cities so rural coverage is not a huge deal for me but with AT&T it is pretty hit or miss, so I expect Verizon to only be better.

Not having calls drop is a very important feature to me. That and call quality.

It is a phone first and the rest of it is secondary.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

Trash Can

Reaction score
I came from the iPhone 3G as well, so I know where you are coming from. I switched to the X when it was released and recently upgraded to the Razr. Dropped calls have not been an issue with either my X or Razr. In fact, the only time I seem to drop calls is when I'm talking to someone with an iPhone. No joke.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Since your primary concern is the phone, Verizon is the way to go. I never drop a call. There is a cell tower next to the interstate my wife takes to work and when she drives under it is the only time she loses a signal. I know, weird right. I don't think you will have any signal issues, except while flying lol. I've been with Verizon for 18 years and can't remember ever having signal or call quality issues.

I can't speak to the RAZR though as I don't have one. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2!

kparks

Reaction score
I'm an iPhone 3G owner and basically happy with the device but it's now 3 years old and obviously long in the tooth. I'm not generally a heavy data user but a smart phone is nearly mandatory in my job (pilot) for various things I do.

But my biggest gripe is the number of dropped calls. I know some of it is AT&T and some may be the iPhone itself.

I am prepared to make the leap to a Motorola and I really like the RAZR. I had Motorolas in the past and before my iPhone/AT&T experiment I was with Alltel and I liked them. They were, IIRC, operating over the Verizon network and with my old Motorola Razr flip phone I don't really ever recall dropped calls or lack of signal coverage. It's been a constant source of annoyance with AT&T and the iPhone.

What can you users tell me about the new RAZR in terms of signal with Verizon and dropped calls. Most of my usage is in large and medium cities so rural coverage is not a huge deal for me but with AT&T it is pretty hit or miss, so I expect Verizon to only be better.

Not having calls drop is a very important feature to me. That and call quality.

It is a phone first and the rest of it is secondary.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

I like android and own one but if I were u go to the store and play with all the phones... And if u like the new iPhone get it.. if not get the rezound or razr I think ur gripe is with the network not the phone.. all three phones I've mentioned have great call quality.. I've used all three quite a bit

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

Dan_08

Reaction score
Verizon is a great network no dropped calls that I can remember. The Droid Razr has great call quality, you will be impressed. Plus I think the Razr has a barometer...you pilots use that right?

OP
J

jerkk

Reaction score
Verizon is a great network no dropped calls that I can remember. The Droid Razr has great call quality, you will be impressed. Plus I think the Razr has a barometer...you pilots use that right?

We use a better barometer than the Razr has..... :icon_ peace:

I use the smart phone parts for weather radar and checking flight status and listing myself on various flights. And just general browsing. It's really more of a toy than a tool. But there are some tool parts of it too.

Thanks for the input. I'm reading deeper here too in other threads.

The reason I don't get a new iPhone is that they don't seem to stock them. I've been in many stores and none has a 4S in stock. And I can't order one because they deliver only to the home and I'm at my residence maybe every couple weeks for a couple of days. It's an item you have to sign for. If I'm not home to sign for it won't be delivered.

If there's one in stock when I'm looking I might get one. But they either won't or can't seem to stock the item.

I like my Apple products but I see the iPhone as almost falling behind in some ways. Screen size is relatively small, design is old, no 4G, etc.

I do like some (most actually) of the Apple philosophy and my iPhone has been good. But the service has been mediocre, at best.

If they didn't make it so tough to get their products I'd just buy another one (but with Verizon) but since they like to keep them in short supply I'm frustrated.

What I'm not excited about with an Android phone is the so-called 'bloatware' and the supposed vulnerability to viruses, or so I have heard. But since I really don't use my phone for too much data I'm not really that concerned.

Pics, music, some browsing, etc.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think you will be more than pleased with the Verizon network as a whole. While there are still some problems with the 4G and data dropping, surely they will get that worked out soon. I have had Verizon for about 7 years or so now and I think I have dropped maybe two calls. Now I live in Austin so we have pretty good coverage both 3G/4G, and one of the calls I made was from my work in a building built to withstand an EF5 tornado, and that was only when I had to go down to the server room.

Other than that it has been great and always there when I needed it. I wouldn't worry to much about the viruses, just keep an eye on the programs you download from the Market and see what kind of permissions they are asking for and their ratings. I almost went with the Iphone 4S instead of this phone and am glad I didn't. Just like the Verizon rep said in the store, "You would be giving up more than you would be getting from the Iphone", enough said.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I have had Verizon for about 6 years now and I can count the number of dropped calls on 1 hand. I live in a area with 4G and the 4G speed here is phenomenal. I also use my phone for work, in area where the service is not 4G, and I still have phenomenal service.

As for the RAZR, I *love* this phone!! I had the Charge and while it was a OK phone, the RAZR is so much more of a phone and so much faster!! The screen is much more clear, clean and bright. The apps that Motorola has are more useful.

I hope this helps some!! :D

moose8989

Reaction score
no offense but....

I like android and own one but if I were u go to the store and play with all the phones... And if u like the new iPhone get it.. if not get the rezound or razr I think ur gripe is with the network not the phone.. all three phones I've mentioned have great call quality.. I've used all three quite a bit

I work for verizon and have carried every moto droid excluding droid 2 devour and citrus ......my d1 my x on and 2 d3 bionic and razr NEVER dropped calls and i do my customer call backs on my 53 mile commute .......i also live out in the country a little ways i have carried the iphone 4 and the 4s and the 4s dropped calls in 3 different areas on the way to and from work and sometimes while at my house in my living room ....the 4 only dropped calls in 2 spots on the way to work and less often at my house than the 4s did .....not bashing the iphone so don't freak out on me i'm apple on the way on my computers (well ....not including my linux!!!) seriously though i went through 3 iphone 4's and two iphone 4's and decided it was time to jump to the razr and Stay with the razr ....we see waaaaaaaay more moto droids go out the door and waaaaaay less of them comming back in with dropped call isssues ....haven't seen any rezounds with that prob either and we see more signal issues on the dincred 2 than we did on the dincred 1 ....just from a verizon rep side ...the moto's all get NASTY reception!!!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Moto is normally known for 2 things, well one really: reception. They are getting known for battery life too in Android land now.

Dropped calls can be a combo of network and phone. I've only been on Verizon since around 2007? In that time I only remember using two manufactures: Samsung and Moto. And Moto outperformed them as far as phone reception.

OP
J

jerkk

Reaction score
Well, I bought the Razr. So far I'm pretty happy with it. Battery life is not great but that was somewhat expected and I have realistic expectations, so I'm OK with it as long as it lasts a year and a half or so.

I am quite pleased with the calls and the reception. So far it's been much, much more reliable than the iPhone 3G I had with AT&T. And that's why I switched because basically I do like the iPhone but not the call quality.

I have had several instances of data dropping off for a few minutes and I'm not sure what that's all about but since I'm not a data pig by a long shot it's not a huge deal.

Finally, the Motorola and Android stuff doesn't do much for me. I'm a fan of the Apple interface and all that but this works.

So far I'm quite pleased!

Oh, and the screen? Why are people complaining? It looks great to me! Very clear with nice colors. And the larger screen size is nice for viewing.

One more thing.... The handset size does not bother me. If fits nicely in my hands.

Score? 9 out of 10. We have a winner.

kparks

Reaction score
Well, I bought the Razr. So far I'm pretty happy with it. Battery life is not great but that was somewhat expected and I have realistic expectations, so I'm OK with it as long as it lasts a year and a half or so.

I am quite pleased with the calls and the reception. So far it's been much, much more reliable than the iPhone 3G I had with AT&T. And that's why I switched because basically I do like the iPhone but not the call quality.

I have had several instances of data dropping off for a few minutes and I'm not sure what that's all about but since I'm not a data pig by a long shot it's not a huge deal.

Finally, the Motorola and Android stuff doesn't do much for me. I'm a fan of the Apple interface and all that but this works.

So far I'm quite pleased!

Oh, and the screen? Why are people complaining? It looks great to me! Very clear with nice colors. And the larger screen size is nice for viewing.

One more thing.... The handset size does not bother me. If fits nicely in my hands.

Score? 9 out of 10. We have a winner.

Cool glad u like it. I need the extended battery for all my phones tho

Androidatic

Reaction score
Moto is known for their build and radio strength and the Razr is no exception. I have yet to drop a call but do experience some delay in connecting to data when coming off of Smart Actions.

Someone mentioned battery life but I get 12 hours with heavy use and 18 with moderate use. If I needed my phone to last longer I could get over 24 with light use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk