New to VZW - RAZR still dropping 4g 12/31...

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought my RAZR on 12/23 (I LOVE this phone!!!!), the Friday before Christmas. It activated fine, but I have noticed like many I only have 2-3 bars in my home area, yet I go a mile or two away and have 4-5 4G bars. Then, I have the data drop off suddenly to no data in my home area, then 3G, stay at 3G, then go back to 4G, or go 3G for a sec or two, and back to 4G, or drop 4g and back to 4G, or drop 4G and no data for minutes to hours - any combination you can think of. PS - Yes, I have the latest OTA update.

Before the last outage on Thursday, this was pretty normal. Since Thursday, the occurrences slowed down, but still occurs. The other odd thing is I can have 4 bars standing in one location in front of my house, move 2 feet, and get 3 bars....move 10 feet, get 2 bars, etc. etc. etc.

When I used Network Signal Info (from the Market), it shows -53 to -64 db (which it says 83% or more), but I only get 2-3 bars....if it's in 3G mode, I get full bars...but like I said before, no matter how many bars I have, it just drops out of 4G to 3G or even to nothing randomly...

I know alot of people are having these issues like me.
I already contacted VZW about the signal issue in my area, and was told a tower tech would look into it...

BUT, I have 7 days left to return the phone for a 2 yr contract.
I'm with AT&T right now on an iPhone 3GS.

VZW's 3G is already faster than AT&T's on the 3G, and has better 3G signal too than AT&T...but, I can't live with these constant data drops.

My question to you all is - should I stick it out, or return my RAZR and just try VZW again in a year...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its a bug in the software id stay with vzw a fix is on the way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
C

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Its a bug in the software id stay with vzw a fix is on the way.

Thanks for replying droidbionicmaster!, but,

Do you know this for a solid fact? I cannot go with a 2 yr commitment unless you know for sure...
Nothing personal intended, just need to know otherwise i'll lose at least a 2200+ dollars for sh!t service.

They have had their LTE network for over a year too, they should have been able to iron out signal and
data issues by now. I know their 3G is the best in the business.....but I'm looking for the 4G where I can
use Data + Voice at the same time ala AT&T...

Thanks

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I would also stay. It is a known VZW issue, and it will be fixed. For the last 48 hours, I have had 4G, with no issues.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
It is my understanding, VZW has the capability of voice + data at the same time, with the 4G network.

pjniez

Reaction score
If you can live without 4g/LTE for a now while the bugs are being worked out, try turning off LTE in your network settings. Change network mode to just CDMA. I've heard this helps prevent the dropping data issues.

I don't have a Razr. So I can't say for sure if this works. Can anyone confirm that this stops the data dropping issues?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
Yes, it is better if you would turn 4G off and use 3G until it is completely fixed. I use 3G when at work because the area has a weak 4G signal, due to trying to pull it from Dayton or Cincinnati. It also saves the battery. :)

Dan_08

Reaction score
If you can live without 4g/LTE for a now while the bugs are being worked out, try turning off LTE in your network settings. Change network mode to just CDMA. I've heard this helps prevent the dropping data issues.

I don't have a Razr. So I can't say for sure if this works. Can anyone confirm that this stops the data dropping issues?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums
Yes swithcing to CDMA only will give you solid 3g service. Settings>Wireless &Networks>Mobile Networks>Network Mode>CDMA only. Stay with VZW, 4g will work its self out soon enough.

Deron

Reaction score
If the Verizon 3g signal is already better than AT&T, then stick with your Verizon's Razr. Just set your mode to CDMA only, so that it will just stay on the more-reliable 3g network and not try to connect to the less-reliable 4g network. Just use it as a 3g phone for now until Verizon works out the kinks. If you stayed with ATT, you'd be stuck with a slower 3g signal and worst of all you'd still have an iPhone (yuck). IMO, you've got nothing to lose by keeping your Razr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Reaction score
Plus At&t has they worse customer service. That's a fact look it up if no believes me. Our 4g network will become stronger.its new so it takes time. I don't even have 4g but my 3g is strong. If you go back to At&t you'll never see 4g they are WAAAAY TO SLOW expanding their network.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
It's a bug and a fix is supposedly on the way, but they just released an update that was supposed to fix it and didn't. This is one of the problems being an early adopter. There will be bugs. We went through these problems when Verizon first released their 3G network. You could return it for a 3G only phone and not have all the drops, then come back to 4G later next year. I'm sure they'll have it all figured out by summer.

Have you tried switching to Airplane mode or at worse a reboot when you lose your data? One of those has always fixed mine when I lose my data. Of course I have to wait for it to reboot, but at least it comes back up afterwards.

Last edited:

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I'll probably jinx myself, but my data drops are gone. And I did 2 things, but one of 3 things could have fixed it. Number 1, Verizon could have fixed it themselves. I don't know. Number 2, I did a factory reset after the OTA update. And I got a new SIM card. Now my data is rock steady.

Ansa82

Reaction score
I'll probably jinx myself, but my data drops are gone. And I did 2 things, but one of 3 things could have fixed it. Number 1, Verizon could have fixed it themselves. I don't know. Number 2, I did a factory reset after the OTA update. And I got a new SIM card. Now my data is rock steady.

How do you get a new sim card?