razr battery 4g v. wfi question

jfolliard

Reaction score
I understand that wifi uses less battery than 4g. I have toggle widgets for both wifi and 3g/4g. So I assume if both are toggled off then I have no data service (email etc.) correct? I have the motorola Smart Actions app and the Verizon Wifi Auto On app. So when at home with my wifi network would it make sense to toggle 3/4g off and have wifi on and then when gone just the opposite? Would this save battery life? Does anyone know how to accomplish this automatically? Wifi Auto On turns on Wifi when I get home but I wonder if there's a way to toggle OFF 3g/4g too?

addendum - I figured out how to auto turn off 3g/4g when connected to wifi - Smart Actions can do that - BUT not the other way around - auto turn back on 3g/4g when off wifi - anyone know of an app that does that?

Thanks!

hecksagon

Reaction score
I use juice defender to turn off my data when wifi is on. Also use it to turn everything off when my screen is off. When the screen turns it it first tries to establish a wifi connection. If it can't then it turns wifi off and data on. You can also set it up to wake up every 10 mins to sync your email. Or you can set it to just leave the wifi on all the time unless it can't connect to your access point.

OP
J

jfolliard

Reaction score
thanks - 2nd somewhat related question - can I still send/receive text messages if connected to wifi at home but 3g/4g is toggled off?