Dropped Calls

MJ25

Reaction score
I have been having issues with dropped calls and poor reception. My home does not get the best reception but despite that, my husband's blackberry is able to work without issues 99% of the time. He has only once had a call where the reception was bad enough to hang up, no dropped calls, and always has data coverage. With my droid however, after talking for about 30 seconds or so either the other person can no longer hear me or the call gets dropped. Every time. I can only get data through wireless.

Yesterday I had 2 dropped calls at the office. We have good reception here, I have never had a problem on any other phone, nor has anyone else, many who are on verizon. Dropped calls here is unacceptable in my opinion.

I have been checking the phone's signal strength and have found the following:

When I first look at it while the phone is on my desk it is showing around -81 dBm usually. If I just pick up the phone normally in my hand and hold it in almost the same spot I can watch the signal drop to about -99 dBm within about 30 seconds. I put it back down, it goes back up to -83 or so.

Does that indicate some kind of a problem with the antenna in my phone? What would cause this? Is there anyone else who can replicate it? Or at least anyone else who is experiencing lots of dropped calls in areas where that shouldn't be happening?

Thanks

FireChief

Reaction score
Same issue here..

I have been having issues with dropped calls and poor reception. My home does not get the best reception but despite that, my husband's blackberry is able to work without issues 99% of the time. He has only once had a call where the reception was bad enough to hang up, no dropped calls, and always has data coverage. With my droid however, after talking for about 30 seconds or so either the other person can no longer hear me or the call gets dropped. Every time. I can only get data through wireless.

Yesterday I had 2 dropped calls at the office. We have good reception here, I have never had a problem on any other phone, nor has anyone else, many who are on verizon. Dropped calls here is unacceptable in my opinion.

I have been checking the phone's signal strength and have found the following:

When I first look at it while the phone is on my desk it is showing around -81 dBm usually. If I just pick up the phone normally in my hand and hold it in almost the same spot I can watch the signal drop to about -99 dBm within about 30 seconds. I put it back down, it goes back up to -83 or so.

Does that indicate some kind of a problem with the antenna in my phone? What would cause this? Is there anyone else who can replicate it? Or at least anyone else who is experiencing lots of dropped calls in areas where that shouldn't be happening?

Thanks

My last phone (centro) had great reception here at my home.. The Droid is terrible... too bad.. I love the phone otherwise.. BUT, this is a BIG PROBLEM...

No fixes?
FC

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
try the *228 deal from Verizon and see if updating your wireless settings helps.

TomN

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right at all. If the *228 doesn't work I'd take it back and get it replaced. If the darn thing can't hold a call then it's pretty worthless. I mean, it's supposed to be a phone after all.

FireChief

Reaction score
Tried the 228 programming..

we are at the edge of the network where i live.. ..in some places around the house it will work, but I can't wander around while on a call like I could with the Centro.. I have to stay put .. The phone works fine as soon as I 'head toward the city'... so I don't think another Droid is going to do better..

I just think it's antenna is a tiny bit weaker than the Centro's was.. oh well..

maybe the network extender that verizon has will do the trick..

tc8315

Reaction score
I too am having the same problem, I have had verizon wireless for years. I have had a blackberry curve, storm, a voyager, a enV. This is the first phone I have ever had dropped calls with. And its almost been about every call I have been on.

pennyb617

Reaction score
Dropped calls even with bluetooth

I'm having the same problem with dropped calls. In my office in the city and in my car with the bluetooth. Never had any problem with my old razor phone. At first I thought it was my wife's EV3 so we swapped it out for a new one. Now it's still happening.
I love the phone as a toy but I need a phone especially in the car.
Any fixes? My 30 days is up so I'm stuck.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with dropped calls. In my office in the city and in my car with the bluetooth. Never had any problem with my old razor phone. At first I thought it was my wife's EV3 so we swapped it out for a new one. Now it's still happening.
I love the phone as a toy but I need a phone especially in the car.
Any fixes? My 30 days is up so I'm stuck.

Like the others have said, contact Verizon. It may be a faulty phone. My Droid gets much better reception that my old Treo, I know that's not really relevant, I just like saying it. :)

risko1

Reaction score
Hello All:
Embarrassed to admit it (not the Droid part), but just got a Droid, first Smart Phone I have owned. Had it for about 3 weeks....I am constantly having my calls dropped :mad:during a conversation. I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. Am I holding the phone too close to my chin and disconnecting my callers inadvertently. It does not appear to be a battery issue, I don't think. On the note of the battery, outside of looking at the bars, how do I look to see the % of battery power remaining. Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Draoid Forums. Do you have long hair? That could be an issue. If not test the proxemity sensor. When you're on a call take your finger and place it on the glass and your phone should turn dark. Pulling away your finger does the screen light back up? If not replace the phone.