Motorola tech rep shared an interesting JB tidbit re Razr/Razr Maxx

bocabean

Reaction score
For me it's early in the AM, so let's say yesterday (Friday) I spoke with a Motorola rep regarding a charger question that I had. I wanted to get an additional USB cable to use, in addition to the original cable that came with my Razr Maxx in June. I looked through the accessories that were available for the DRM on the Moto website. I could only find the wall charger (which I know that everyone says must be used exclusively in order not to damage the device). Although they show hdmi cables and car chargers, no USB cables.

So that prompted my call. The agent informed me that any USB cable with the proper connections would work, even the Blackberry cables (of which I have a bunch). The only requirement was to use the wall adapter that came with the phone. I believe that he said that this setup would work with the original Razr and Razr Maxx, but not with the M or the HD.

Fine.

So while I was on the phone with him (and he sounded very knowledgeable about things) I asked about the status of the Jelly Bean update. He said that it has already started and is rolling out a little at a time. I clarified that he wasn't talking about the Christmas Eve erroneous release and he said that "no, that was a mistake" and then he went on to say that it has already started to go out in select areas to a certain number of people and that it should be fully released within the next couple of weeks. Again I attempted to clarify what the exact time frame was and he seemed to be emphatic about just a couple which meant 2 weeks maximum to me.

If this is the case, then it will certainly be better than March 31st at 11:59 PM!

Now I just recently received my wonderful "like new replacement" about a week ago. For me personally, and I cannot speak for anyone else, I was glad that I was in a position to receive the replacement under the warranty (i.e. my device was stock). Hopefully I will soon receive the upgrade and move on from there. I have to admit, had I rooted the darn thing, my time restoring everything no doubt would have been a fraction of the time that I spent restoring everything back to the way it was on the original device.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, let's hope you're right. One thing still unanswered is whether the version they'll be pushing out deliberately will be the same version accidentally pushed on Christmas Eve, and if not, whether they will be making a way to either roll back so that the pushed version can be reinstalled, or whether the pushed version will be able to be installed over the accidental version. Only time will tell.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Well, let's hope you're right. One thing still unanswered is whether the version they'll be pushing out deliberately will be the same version accidentally pushed on Christmas Eve, and if not, whether they will be making a way to either roll back so that the pushed version can be reinstalled, or whether the pushed version will be able to be installed over the accidental version. Only time will tell.

I don't know how they are going to do it, but a Motorola rep told me that the leaked version will be upgraded to the official version when it is released.

moset

Reaction score
If it has in fact started, I'm guessing before the end of the day it will be all over the web. I've heard nothing about a soak test. Does anybody know if moto has ever released a new update without one?
Now that Google is at the helm they may be doing things differently, I'm sure with that employee base there are plenty of testers available.
As for those with the Christmas release, couldn't they simply allow both to be upgraded, seems like if the entire OS is replaced they could just allow both to be replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If it has in fact started, I'm guessing before the end of the day it will be all over the web. I've heard nothing about a soak test. Does anybody know if moto has ever released a new update without one?
Now that Google is at the helm they may be doing things differently, I'm sure with that employee base there are plenty of testers available.
As for those with the Christmas release, couldn't they simply allow both to be upgraded, seems like if the entire OS is replaced they could just allow both to be replaced.

Agreed regarding the lack of news about soak.

As for how the upgrade will address both .211 and the JB leak when the upgrade packet is run it looks for a specific system version number to validate the right to install. This version number is the one the packet is named. For instance, the JB leak was named with .211. It seems plausible that it could look for more than one system version in that process.

Last edited:

GotnFX

Reaction score
I call BS on that MotoRep...but if anything were started someone would be posting it by now..somewhere. Even soak tests gets announced..and that is suppose to be hush hush....Sorry I am not buying it.. Just simply stating my opinion.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yea the lack of a soak test has me skeptical. Hope its true for you all though :thumbup:

Sent from my CM 10.1 XT926

moset

Reaction score
I'm sure we will all know very soon if it is true though. And we will have it to download before the day is done.

GotnFX

Reaction score
I'm sure we will all know very soon if it is true though. And we will have it to download before the day is done.

Very soon..still not sure or buying it.
Having it downloaded before the day is done when it does release..that I DO believe. LOL..:)

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I doubt the rep knows what he is talking about. There have been no discussions here, on droid life, android central, the Motorola forums, or XDA about anyone getting an update to their Razrs since the Christmas eve release.

I have been a soak tester before and although we are sworn to secrecy, there are always a few who jump on the forums to report it.

David

bradleonard

Reaction score
I've done no research on this issue, but has anyone actually had any issues with using other than stock chargers? I have charged mine almost every single night since it was new about a year ago using an old hardwired charger for an old Motorola bluetooth headset. My phone works perfectly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've done no research on this issue, but has anyone actually had any issues with using other than stock chargers? I have charged mine almost every single night since it was new about a year ago using an old hardwired charger for an old Motorola bluetooth headset. My phone works perfectly.

Well, this question and your post are off-topic, but here's a very old thread (there are plenty of newer ones as well), indicating some very disturbing symptoms phones are experiencing when using third-party chargers.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html

I am also in another thread here in which the OP is experiencing the same symptoms. It's most likely the same cause.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=236135
Phantom dialing and texting

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

OP
bocabean

bocabean

Reaction score
All that I can suggest is that everyone is free to call the same number to see if you can get a different response. I agree that if a release has in fact started to officially trickle out, then news of such an event would quickly spread. Nevertheless, he said what he said and I am just passing it along.

Keep in mind that he also mentioned weeks, not days.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD