Razr Maxx: Charging & Battery problems

abc519

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing charging & battery problems w/their Motorola Droid Razr Maxx on ICS? I got it last night, and the first time I charged it I used the charger that came with the phone and it went up to 100%. I then unplugged it around 1:30 AM and went to sleep (the phone went to sleep, too). When I woke up at 8:30 AM, the battery had drained down to 20%. I haven't downloaded a task killer app yet, so I was thinking that that may be the problem: too many apps were running in the background and using power. Now I am trying to charge it with an old mini USB-cable I have at work, and it is not charging the phone at all, not even with it being turned off. The battery level indicator keeps showing 0%, and the USB cable is plugged into the wall, not a computer.

Should I only be using the charger that came with the phone. If so, then how does it explain the quick battery drainage overnight? Was it due to the lack of a Task Killer app? Please help!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
When you say you got it last night, the phone? Did the phone have ginger bread on it and you had to upgrade to ICS?
Do a battery/meter calibration first.(FOXKAT has a thread for all needed battery info)
Yes, use the supplied ecomoto plug.
Welcome to the forums and congrats on an awesome phone.

OP
A

abc519

Reaction score
When you say you got it last night, the phone? Did the phone have ginger bread on it and you had to upgrade to ICS?
Do a battery/meter calibration first.(FOXKAT has a thread for all needed battery info)
Yes, use the supplied ecomoto plug.
Welcome to the forums and congrats on an awesome phone.

Hi, thank you for replying to my post!
Yes, I got the phone last night. It came automatically with the ICS upgrade. I realize now that I was surprised that the WiFi was on this morning when I had turned it off last night. A Verizon Wireless customer service rep. told me that is probably why the battery drained so quickly. Actually, the Razr Maxx always wants to switch to WiFi when first using it, but then stops trying to switch after turning it off a few times.
I will recharge it tonight and see if anything unusual happens.

Thanks again! I will definitely post to the forums again if I have any trouble!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
ABC519, you should be fine, enjoy.
We have plenty of people here that are always eager to pitch in and help. Usually I leave threads like this alone because they're far more smarter people here than I. Felt sad that nobody helped sooner.

charlienyc

Reaction score
i wonder why it's turning wifi on by itself. some apps prompt (prod in some cases) me to turn it on, like foursquare, but i've never had problems with it turning on by itself.
on the battery, was it downloading updates overnight, or perhaps syncing google account info like contacts? i have to work hard to get my battery down to 20%. heavy use on a 12+ hour day might do that. sitting idle overnight should not. if you continue to have these problems, you might consider taking it in to the Verizon store.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
i wonder why it's turning wifi on by itself. some apps prompt (prod in some cases) me to turn it on, like foursquare, but i've never had problems with it turning on by itself.
on the battery, was it downloading updates overnight, or perhaps syncing google account info like contacts? i have to work hard to get my battery down to 20%. heavy use on a 12+ hour day might do that. sitting idle overnight should not. if you continue to have these problems, you might consider taking it in to the Verizon store.

When i sold my razr to my friend, I did a factory reset wiped the card and he had problems with it always trying to connect to wifi. checked the settings etc. cured itself I guess.