Motorola Confirms a September Droid Bionic ICS update!!!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You guys know my opinion on Moto these days. If Samsung had bothered to ship their unicorn in July (s3 dev phone) we'd not even be having this conversation. However, now that Google is running things and have made some, um, "structural changes", I'm encouraged. If you read the press releases they're admitting mistakes. They're owning them and fixing them. They're saying that they will align update releases more closely with Google's schedule and not 15 years later. I don't see them following through with their pledge of less phones, though. That's a bit disconcerting. But if they follow through with faster updates, lighter on Blur, AND manage to throw us a MAXX HD dev phone.....HOLY HELL boys and girls, they might just keep me.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well Blur is definitely lighter... it's almost AOSP-like with ICS. So that's a good start.

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
What's really funny is how this thread turned so fast into when are we getting jb ;-) didn't even make it to the 2nd Page.
I bet that if someone gave most of you a free brand new red Ferrari you would complain that you wanted a blue one. Me personally would want a black one lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well Blur is definitely lighter... it's almost AOSP-like with ICS. So that's a good start.

Moto has done a FANTASTIC job with ICS and the amount of "blurness".

What's really funny is how this thread turned so fast into when are we getting jb ;-) didn't even make it to the 2nd Page.
I bet that if someone gave most of you a free brand new red Ferrari you would complain that you wanted a blue one. Me personally would want a black one lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Could that possibly be because ICS is almost a year old and JB has been out for 2 months already? :) The Bionic was sold on the premise that it would get ICS a few months after release. Here we are a year later and are FINALLY staring at the hope of an ICS update a week or two after the year mark. Not so good. If Moto can push JB to everyone by the end of the year, then that will TRULY impress. Don't get me wrong, I've been using ICS on the Bionic through leaks for 2 months now and *LOVE* it. I'm certainly not complaining about the update. Moto has done a great job. It just should have done so 6 months ago.

Reaction score
I keep hitting the stupid System Updates thingie on my phone and it says I'm up to date. WHAR MY ICE CREAM WHAR? :D

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
Just read this article.. If they're going to try to update ALL of their active devices, we'll be on the bottom of the list.. And considering the time it took to almost get ICS (1 full year) and the 18 month policy with updating devices, we would fall under "some devices" unless Motorola works that hard and we get ICS a year from now. But hey, by then I'll have 2 months left of my contract, so I'll get a small taste of JB on the Bionic before I switch phones.

Lesson Learned: Go with the highly anticipated popular phone, not the small release phone.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I keep hitting the stupid System Updates thingie on my phone and it says I'm up to date. WHAR MY ICE CREAM WHAR? :D

Why would you bother? You'll KNOW it's coming just by having a pulse and reading this forum. Once the soak emails go out it'll be in about 100 different threads. :D

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just read this article.. If they're going to try to update ALL of their active devices, we'll be on the bottom of the list.. And considering the time it took to almost get ICS (1 full year) and the 18 month policy with updating devices, we would fall under "some devices" unless Motorola works that hard and we get ICS a year from now. But hey, by then I'll have 2 months left of my contract, so I'll get a small taste of JB on the Bionic before I switch phones.

Lesson Learned: Go with the highly anticipated popular phone, not the small release phone.

Um, what? You're joking about the Bionic being some "small release phone" right? Cause, um, NO. It was *THE* phone to have back then. NO other phone had dual core and LTE. The RAZR blindsided everyone. We need to understand something....as of last month when google fired just about everyone at moto, things are very different. Moto should be given a new chance now that Google is behind them. Even I'm willing to do so as long as they follow through with a developer phone that doesn't suck. Moto gave a timeline of by the end of the year for most of the JB upgrades which is easily doable. The change from ICS to JB is nothing like the change from GB to ICS. This is minor bump up from ICS while ICS was a whole new OS akin to XP going to W7. Let's see what happens now that Google has control of the moto car. I'm willing to give them another shot now that the company has been restructured. I do believe a healthy dose of skepticism is in order until they deliver...I'm not an idiot. :) But, they appear to be trying to fix things.

Reaction score
Why would you bother? You'll KNOW it's coming just by having a pulse and reading this forum. Once the soak emails go out it'll be in about 100 different threads. :D

But... But... But... If I time the System Update thingie just right, I may expedite the ICS release! It can happen. IT CAN HAPPEN! Uh huh! I read about it here!

(Heh. I've waited this long, avoiding the leaks. I can wait another few weeks. But it's an amusing study in human behavior to watch this forum sometimes...)

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
But... But... But... If I time the System Update thingie just right, I may expedite the ICS release! It can happen. IT CAN HAPPEN! Uh huh! I read about it here!

(Heh. I've waited this long, avoiding the leaks. I can wait another few weeks. But it's an amusing study in human behavior to watch this forum sometimes...)

LMAO! You want some help with your button pushing obsession? :) Clear the google services framework cache just before you do the update check.

Reaction score
LMAO! You want some help with your button pushing obsession? :) Clear the google services framework cache just before you do the update check.

Uh oh. You do understand what you just unleashed with that bit of advice, right? [EDIT]: YOUR mailbox is going to go into meltdown!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Samuri: 99 parts great guy! 1 part pure evil!

ROFLMAO! Pretty much. So the RAZR M developer phone preorder is up now. 550 bucks. A sign up page for the RAZR HD Developer phone is up. I signed up to be notified. If it's not like the samsung unicorn I'm all over it. I wish it was a RAZR MAXX HD Dev phone though.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Uh oh. You do understand what you just unleashed with that bit of advice, right? [EDIT]: YOUR mailbox is going to go into meltdown!

ROFLMAO. It's not exactly "hidden knowledge". :) A lot of us are already running what is incredibly likely to be the OTA build anyway. So we won't need crazy update button pushing. LOL

jayrod

Reaction score

And now for something completely off topic but made me think of this:

Those lights are blinking out of sequence. What should we do? Make them blink in sequence.
We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking, beeping and flashing - they're flashing and they're beeping. I can't stand it anymore! They're blinking and beeping and flashing! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2