Keep GN or switch it out for Razr Maxx?

alienware777

Reaction score
I had some problems with my particular GN and after talking to Verizon Rep shes willing to offer me a refurbishes GN or Razr Maxx. I love the GN but the better battery life on the Razr if making me really think about going that way. Any of you guys used both and can shed some light on my decision?

Kid

Reaction score
i did not like my razr at all, with the lock bootloader. i sold it for my GNex and have not looked back. get a GNex replacement . now if your going to keep it stock its not a bad phone, but i like rooting and modding and it is so ez to screw **** up on the razr. and i have flashing for well over two years so im not a noobie.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had some problems with my particular GN and after talking to Verizon Rep shes willing to offer me a refurbishes GN or Razr Maxx. I love the GN but the better battery life on the Razr if making me really think about going that way. Any of you guys used both and can shed some light on my decision?

Depends on what your problems are with the G Nex....depends on if you can live with the cons of the RAZR...depends on whats more important to you.

Battery life... you could just get an extended battery for the G Nex. You would need that big battery for the G Nex to try to match the RAZR Maxx in battery life.

I'm sure some will come along and post pros n cons for both phones...probably more pros for the G Nex....since this is the G Nex section...lol. I had both. I had my RAZR first, wanted to try the G Nex to see how it was. I honestly think the G Nex is fine in better reception areas. I think it struggles in weaker ones. The RAZR is fine in almost any reception area. Screens are comparable at normal viewing distances. After that its a give n take on features, specs, issues.

Maybe you could post what problems you are having with the G Nex?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
you're asking us if you should downgrade? :eek:

Considering its stock battery is extremely larger than the one on the G Nex....it cant be a total downgrade...:dry:

To the OP....you might wanna post this in the RAZR Maxx section too for hopefully more fairer, unbiased answers. Hopefully....

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What were the problems you had with your Gnex? Did you get the latest update (4.0.4) that would've fixed those problems?

I'm not trying to sway your decision at all, but if your problems can be narrowed down to what the update fixed, try giving that a shot first. If the problems persist then by all means switch to whichever phone you want, whether it be the Razr, Rezound, or an iPhone. I just say if you think you've given it a fair chance and you're not satisfied, find something different. You really can't go wrong with any of the top tier phones on Verizon.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering its stock battery is extremely larger than the one on the G Nex....it cant be a total downgrade...:dry:

To the OP....you might wanna post this in the RAZR Maxx section too for hopefully more fairer, unbiased answers. Hopefully....
jroc,we would never be unfair or unbiased in the Galaxy Thread :icon_ devil:-I mean,yes the Nexus is the BEST phone out rite now,even the upcoming SG3,the first ICS device,4.65 AHD screen,ROMed out the yeng yang,and probly the first to push JB,but I would never persuade him to-KEEP THE NEXUS!!!!,KEEP THE NEXUS!!!!,KEEP THE NEXUS!!! :D

Reaction score

Right! A bigger battery makes up for the rest of the subpar electronics/OS.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
GalaxyFlatulence said:
Right! A bigger battery makes up for the rest of the subpar electronics/OS.

Subpar hardware, software....is your opinion.

A bigger stock battery is fact.

I have used both a g nex and RAZR, but not the Maxx. The RAZR can't be too subpar since I still have it and use it as my main phone.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You right...on paper it does have better specs.

Funny how they weren't so mind blowing I just had to keep my g nex. That's why I go by real world use. And my normal use.

Perfect example.....my normal viewing distance is around the distance I hold it to text, type in forum apps. Sometimes farther than that. At that distance...the G nex, RAZR and Rezound all looked so similar pentile wasn't no where as big a factor as some make it.

Real world use, and my normal use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 720HD screen and ICS are the main reasons I went w the GN.

Durandgir

Reaction score
The 720HD screen and ICS are the main reasons I went w the GN.

Those plus the whole "it's a nexus with an unlocked bootloader" The Nexus one is getting ICS not officially but if the first nexus is still getting android 4.0 then the likely hood of the Galaxy Nexus getting past a few OS versions is enough for me to not have to worry about getting locked into a contract with a phone that will not make it very far and can not be fixed in that department with custom roms due to a locked bootloader.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
jroc is always a good voice of reason, and generally has sound advice. as he said, it depends on your personal needs and uses. i have the GNex, and couldn't be happier. i've read quite a few posts from people complaining about the GNex, and what a POC it is - but that just leaves me scratching my head.

i use my GNex a ton, but not much as a phone - primarily data. if you spend the majority of your time making and taking calls, i still gotta give it up to Moto - the call quality on those devices is almost unparalleled. that being said, i live in a metropolitan area, and have never had much of an issue with call quality/reception on the GNex. (if Sammy ever comes close to matching Moto in call quality, it will probably rule the smartphone world.)

As for battery, i recently purchased the 2100 extended battery, and i'm getting about 14 hours (+ or -) a day with moderate to heavy use (again, mostly data). and, that extended battery is virtually unnoticeable as far as changing the thickness of the phone. for your use, you might need the whopper battery in the Maxx...?

the biggest advantage of the GNex, IMO, is the modding and ICS. i unlocked and rooted my phone right away. i don't do much rom flashing (certainly not to the extent i did with my OG), but i do like the ability to flash various mods and tweaks. with the Moto bootloader, you certainly can't mod and tweak to the same extent you can with the GNex. so, if that is important to you, it's hard to argue against the GNex.

as i said, i don't do much rom flashing currently. and that's primarily because, for me, stock ICS is pretty darn functional. imo, it is head and shoulders above GB. as history has shown, Moto is a little lagging in updating the OS versions. if that is important to you, then the GNex is a solid choice.

probably the biggest indicator to me, personally, of how nice the GNex is is the fact that i don't spend nearly as much time on the forums drooling over the next device coming down the pike. spec wise, the GNex is right there with about every device out there (altho you can quibble over certain specs), and it is just a buttery smooth beast! i'm not advocating over the Maxx, as i haven't spent much time looking at it. I have been a very long-time fan of Moto, and after the OG, never thought i would own a device from a different OEM. but, Moto kinda soured me (hopefully that changes with Jha getting the boot), and i've been perfectly content with the GNex.