I have to say GN didn't meet my expectation. How do you guys feel about GN now?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
definitely, i'm using it too. as soon as i installed it i realized there's no way id be able to stay stock for too long...i initially thought i wouldnt want to flash custom ROMs but I'm certain I will now

Flashing Android Revolution HD as we speak. :p But yes, Nova launcher is amazing. One of the best if not the best launcher I've ever used... and it's only a beta!

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
It's almost impossible for phone companies to blow the consumer away because some people deify the thing before it's released.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Flashing Android Revolution HD as we speak. :p But yes, Nova launcher is amazing. One of the best if not the best launcher I've ever used... and it's only a beta!

Let me know how it goes...for some odd reason (probably paranoia) i'm wary about flashing roms from devs i dont know and i dont know anyone on xda haha...i guess i got spoiled by cyanogen, blackdroid and liquid...

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
I for one love the Nexus.... I don't deal in the "high hopes" trash as that is mostly what it is. Base a phone on the specs you know are the verified ones and go and get hands on time with it. Only then should a person make a choice. I retired my OGD after passing on the Bionic and the Razr and I am very happy with the phone overall. IMHO there are far less bugs with the Nexus than the Bionic as far as initial release goes and the phone does all I need it to do. Pics, are great, GPS lock is pretty quick, Bluetooth is quick and the root on this thing could not have been easier. My only "con" would be the plastic snap on battery cover but I don't plan on taking it off all that much. I also should note that the battery is freaking awesome in this thing. In and out of $g,3G, and no service along with WiFi active and after 10 hours; the phone was @ 45% with moderate usage. Did I mention I am happy with the phone!?

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes...for some odd reason (probably paranoia) i'm wary about flashing roms from devs i dont know and i dont know anyone on xda haha...i guess i got spoiled by cyanogen, blackdroid and liquid...

Eh, I got a nandroid backup so I'm not worried. I'll let you know how it goes. You have to use a program call Super Wipe(I'm guessing to wipe) if your on the stock ROM, I'm reading up on that now before I flash because I've never heard of it. And yes the OG was spoiled rotten with great devs. I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing some familiar faces(so to speak) supporting the G-Nex.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I need to go back when I have more time and try them all out again, but I was really excited for the galaxy nexus, and now I am like "eh, another phone.."

That's the way with technology, though. Things are announced so far in advance of launch that at announcement time, they sound like the next best thing. But by the time they make it to market, they are indeed "another phone". It's not like they even use a cutting edge chipset in the thing. The OMAP 4460 came out back in Q1 of this year. It's PowerVR SGX540 is old news. To be cutting edge, they should have used an OMAP 5 series SoC. That has dual Cortex-A15 CPU cores, dual Cortex-M4 CPUs, and a PowerVR SGX544-MPx multicore GPU.

Edit: Well, seems the OMAP 5 series isn't actually available yet, should be during the first half of 2012. Hoping to have something like this in my next phone.

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
That's the way with technology, though. Things are announced so far in advance of launch that at announcement time, they sound like the next best thing. But by the time they make it to market, they are indeed "another phone". It's not like they even use a cutting edge chipset in the thing. The OMAP 4460 came out back in Q1 of this year. It's PowerVR SGX540 is old news. To be cutting edge, they should have used an OMAP 5 series SoC. That has dual Cortex-A15 CPU cores, dual Cortex-M4 CPUs, and a PowerVR SGX544-MPx multicore GPU.

People keep talking specs but the true beauty of the G-Nex is the unlocked bootloader. Custom ROMs and kernels is what will make this phone truly superior to other phones. Why do you think the OG was awesome? Stock battery life at 600mhz was like 6-8 hours of light/moderate use. Rooted, ROM'd and overclocked to 1.25ghz it lasted double that with moderate/heavy use, and I could get 2 days out of it if I went light on it. The same applies for the G-Nex, it's only going to get better from here.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Most people are coming from a OG droid....so of coarse most people are going to be blow away....Me coming from a rezound that i had for a month....i can say....the Rezound is right on par with the G-nex. They both have trade offs....They are both VERY fast and some real power houses!

Right now the ONLY thing that is bugging me right now is 4g....or the lack of....I live next to a tower and i get one bar?!??!!? i would get 4 bars on my Rezound.... So this needs to be fixed ASAP.

The hospital i work in i would have a contast 2 bars of 4g on the rezound and i get 1 bar 3g on my Gnex.....This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

sb1831

Reaction score
It's almost impossible for phone companies to blow the consumer away because some people deify the thing before it's released.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I think this is part of the reason. A lot of devices simply CAN'T live up to the hype. The Bionic is a good example. If a phone is pushed past some of the B.S. "launch dates" (that happen to never be right) many people become disenchanted with a phone.

Then there are people like me. I've purchased pretty much every major release on VZW since they started carrying phones with the Android OS. Some months I've bought 2 phones outright because of multiple launches in the same month. I think it's impossible to win with someone like me. I'm NOT blown away with this phone. I think the build quality leaves something to be desired and there are things about ICS that I don't like. With that said, my Nexus1 was EOL so I didn't have much of an option.

I think anyone that upgrades from the OG will be singing praise. Anyone that upgrades more than annually will probably be a little more realistic with their perception of the phone.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I think this is part of the reason. A lot of devices simply CAN'T live up to the hype. The Bionic is a good example. If a phone is pushed past some of the B.S. "launch dates" (that happen to never be right) many people become disenchanted with a phone.

Then there are people like me. I've purchased pretty much every major release on VZW since they started carrying phones with the Android OS. Some months I've bought 2 phones outright because of multiple launches in the same month. I think it's impossible to win with someone like me. I'm NOT blown away with this phone. I think the build quality leaves something to be desired and there are things about ICS that I don't like. With that said, my Nexus1 was EOL so I didn't have much of an option.

I think anyone that upgrades from the OG will be singing praise. Anyone that upgrades more than annually will probably be a little more realistic with their perception of the phone.

yes!

doublea500

Reaction score
What i am not to happy with of my galaxy nexus

-no camera button
-battery (although idk yet)
-few bugs (facebook account not adding, one time my keyboard had no keys..)
-4g lte/3g dropping <--- Annoying me big time!

doublea500

Reaction score

What did you expect? buying a good phone, then another good phone. the difference will be seen but wont be too great.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
What i am not to happy with of my galaxy nexus

-no camera button
-battery (although idk yet)
-few bugs (facebook account not adding, one time my keyboard had no keys..)
-4g lte/3g dropping <--- Annoying me big time!

the whole no camera button thing was a pet peeve of mine but it appears to the norm now..
facebook not syncing contacts is a ICS thing there are ways around it but i didn't like any of them..
I haven't had 4G/3G dropouts yet..
too early on the battery for me but 1st charge was on par with my rezound..

sb1831

Reaction score
same with me

I've had this problem as well but not in my main area of use. I chalked it up to the fact that I was visiting my parents and their house is in the burbs and there is only "extended LTE coverage" there anyway and it is hit or miss with ANY LTE device I've taken over there. I havent experienced any strange signal issues in general after the first update so I will keep an eye on this tomorrow.