I have to say GN didn't meet my expectation. How do you guys feel about GN now?

sb1831

Reaction score
What did you expect? buying a good phone, then another good phone. the difference will be seen but wont be too great.

I expected build quality where I don't have to worry about the phone being seriously damaged in the event I drop it. I expected a better sensor paired with the camera. I expected to not have a speaker with a hollow tinny sound to it. I suppose I've just become pampered.

I personally think that if you're going to charge $650 for a phone it should feel as well built as the other devices that launch around it. I'm sorry but a dev friendly bootloader and ICS isn't enough to justify cutting costs on the camera and materials.

nibord

Reaction score
Yep this is my issue also. I came here to check if the bottom bar could be made to disappear. Over all it's a nice phone coming from my Droid X. I do like to buy Moto products to support the brand. I am a little concerned about the plastic instead of metal materials of the Droids. I have to pretty much rely on user input on these forums, it is virtually impossible to find any of the upper end phones, even a demo at our local wireless stores.

I just measured the screen the Nexus is also considerably wider then my Droid X which makes me a little happier, still would be nice to have the button bar slide out of the way when not needed. Nexus about 2 5/16 Droid X About 2 1/8

I waited for this phone over buying a Droid because I thought I would have more usable screen area. I will probably end up keeping this unit, due to not having time to go out of town and look at other phones.

I wonder if any ROMs in the future will have a way to deal with this issue. Screen is big during activation then looses a lot to the bar on the bottom. I find the camera to be very good for such a small sensor. ICS is super, I am very impressed with the Voice to Text functions. The screen issue really bugs me though, maybe I will try to make time to see other phones. I ordered two of these, one for my assistant not sure how she likes hers yet.

I hate the lack of screen real estate. Google bar on top of every page. Overly large soft buttons. Believe it or not you have less screen space than a droidx. I set them side by side. Big phone with small usable screen = imminent return.

Sent from my Xoom

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I expected build quality where I don't have to worry about the phone being seriously damaged in the event I drop it. I expected a better sensor paired with the camera. I expected to not have a speaker with a hollow tinny sound to it. I suppose I've just become pampered.

I personally think that if you're going to charge $650 for a phone it should feel as well built as the other devices that launch around it. I'm sorry but a dev friendly bootloader and ICS isn't enough to justify cutting costs on the camera and materials.

There's been reviews for this thing out since November.. everything you guys are listing as problems you should have known about before buying the phone. The only thing I never read about was the not so good speaker. I came from the Droid 3 which is build like a beast,as was my og droid, and while it doesn't have the same build, I'm fine with it. I do thing think this could have used better materials, but I'm just fine with it. Samsung phones are usually built like this but are quite durable. Nothing I didn't know before already buying the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kparks

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I still think it's a great phone and I'm not trying to bash the GN.

I finally had a chance to play around with the phone at the Verizon store and I came away unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, it felt like a good phone. I was really hoping to be blown away with the phone and was ready to buy one today. After playing around with it, I started debating if I wanted to get RAZR, Rezound, or even an iphone.

I'm not a high techie person like some of the members here. I'm more focused on how it interacts with me, the user, and what basic functions perform well. I don't care to read about all the specs not do I even care about expansion slot. I want a phone that's fast, has great call quality, great screen for movies, and a great camera quality.

Screen: HTC/Iphone > GN > RAZR I felt that screen was better than RAZR in terms of color. But I also felt like the Rezound had a much better color and clarity over the GN.

Speaker was also disappointed as I've read from some other reviews on the forum. It was very soft and I couldn't really hear anything.

Camera? what a joke... yes, it does take a fast picture but the quality was FAR from iphone or rezound.

Build quality felt like it was also terrible. The backing kept on coming off as I pulled the phone towards me with the retractable security cord. After watching the CNET review, the reviewer also mentions that her backing was never the same after dropping it once...

I'm really curious to know how you basic daily users feel about this phone?

If the gnex is not for u just go to the store and play with the razr and rezound all 3 are quite similar anyway from a spec standpoint if ur a average consumer.. All 3 are plenty fast and top of the line.. I've used the Rezound the most out of the 3 and love it takes awesome pics great call quality and I think has the best screen of all 3 plus the beats are a nice addition. But the razr is a really nice phone also.. And it also has great call quality and a sleek form factor they both have great build quality. the reason I don't like it over the HTC is I got big hands and I still find it awkward to hold and I just really don't like amoled screens I personally think they look terrible but that is only my opinion so meh lol... I also give HTC the plus over moto blur tho blur has come a long long way... O yea I forgot about the razr battery I absolutely need a extended battery for what ever phone I own I'm constantly on the web texting or calling and pandora or google music pretty much is playing 24/7 while ur in the store I would also try out the bionic.. Good luck :)
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Schimm

Reaction score
definitely, i'm using it too. as soon as i installed it i realized there's no way id be able to stay stock for too long...i initially thought i wouldnt want to flash custom ROMs but I'm certain I will now

I'm still stock on the launcher. I tried adw ex and the scrolling behavior on a couple of widgets I like is squirrelly. I've gotten more accustomed to the reduced screen real estate but am interested in Nova. But I saw someone mention on XDA that Nova introduces some lag and isn't buttery smooth as stock. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm still stock on the launcher. I tried adw ex and the scrolling behavior on a couple of widgets I like is squirrelly. I've gotten more accustomed to the reduced screen real estate but am interested in Nova. But I saw someone mention on XDA that Nova introduces some lag and isn't buttery smooth as stock. Your thoughts?

There's a tiny bit of lag for me when going from app drawer back home. Other then that its great and I prefer it over the stock launcher

Schimm

Reaction score
Thanks are u rooted or did you just install the apk?

Schimm

Reaction score
Nice! Installed the apk. Runs smoothly. A few of my widgets winked out while installing them on desktop but all seems well now. It's a beta so that sort of thing can be expected. Those Google bars on each page are kinda stupid. Most people are fine with them though /shrug/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GTX1

Reaction score
Speed - The speed of opening/closing apps, switching home screens and everything else is great. I played with the Rezound right before I bought the G-Nex and it felt no faster. It also has dual-core RAM which I bet not a lot of people know and this helps with multi-tasking which is why it feels so fast for a phone that's been underclocked by default.

Dual-Core RAM? Hmm. It's really an anomaly how the GNexus wound up with Dual-Core RAM, seeing as memory with processing cores isn't a real thing. No memory has "dual-cores," or any kind of "cores." Memory doesn't process information. Information goes through the memory controller to the memory where it's stored, and eventually (with RAM, quickly) is sent back out.

I believe you are trying to say that it has DDR2 RAM, which means it's a dual-channel memory lane offering higher data speeds. I'm not sure if it does have DDR2 RAM, I do not believe that little tid-bit of information has been released yet..

...By the way, the Galaxy Nexus and every single Nexus phone ever made comes with a locked bootloader. The difference? Nexus phones have a built in system available to the consumer to unlock the phone: fastboot oem unlock

Last edited:

moore00

Reaction score
My mind is still blown.

This phone is so much better than my Inc in terms of everything. The only gripe I have about it is it's quite large and still a bit awkward to hold sometimes. I have fairly large hands, but even for me sometimes trying to tap the left side of the screen can get uncomfortable. And no NFL app

Other than that; absolutely beautiful screen, feels solid, fast (hardware and 4g), smooth, and the list goes on. I do not regret for 1 second getting this phone, well worth the wait.

I could not agree more, this phone feels 100% smoother and just more cohesive than previous Android phones. It's almost perfect.

I'm not 100% impressed with the camera, though it's not terrible, and agree it might be just slightly too big, but at the same time, it's an awesome screen.

Well worth every penny. I'm sure the Razr and Rezound will be great with ICS, but as of now, this is 100% better.

Jawbone

Reaction score
Well I told myself I would leave this thing completely stock and maybe play with it a year into owning the phone. Well because of this forum, that lasted two days. Ah my galaxy Nexus is now unlocked and rooted with Google wallet and wireless hotspot tethering. Now I am sitting back to see the development community run with this phone the same way they did with the D1.:icon_ lala: All is right in the world. I personally love this phone.

wil318466

Reaction score
Really liked it the first 2 days. Absolutely love it the last 2. It's so easy to read/load webpages with 4g and the super fast browser and the bigger screen it's night and day. I can sit on my couch and easily go through the games, goto web pages, read email, whatever. It's SO much more comfortable in terms of speed and being able to read/navigate through the pages.

Like I've said, the only drawback is the size, but it's a tradeoff, and one I'm happy to make. What a great great great device. It's so responsive and speedy, the difference is just amazing. You really need a few days to get used to it and get accustomed to how much better it is. I couldn't imagine going back to my Fascinate at this point.

Creed

Reaction score
Dual-Core RAM? Hmm. It's really an anomaly how the GNexus wound up with Dual-Core RAM, seeing as memory with processing cores isn't a real thing. No memory has "dual-cores," or any kind of "cores." Memory doesn't process information. Information goes through the memory controller to the memory where it's stored, and eventually (with RAM, quickly) is sent back out.

I believe you are trying to say that it has DDR2 RAM, which means it's a dual-channel memory lane offering higher data speeds. I'm not sure if it does have DDR2 RAM, I do not believe that little tid-bit of information has been released yet..

...By the way, the Galaxy Nexus and every single Nexus phone ever made comes with a locked bootloader. The difference? Nexus phones have a built in system available to the consumer to unlock the phone: fastboot oem unlock

That is not what he means. He means that the OMAP4460 has a dual-channel memory controller which can increase speed tremendously. But for the record, yes, it does have DDR2 RAM. All the OMAP chip does is allow the DDR2 components to be utilized to the maximum potential.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100553-why-the-galaxy-nexus-uses-omap-instead-of-exynos

Last edited: