Verizon GN Has Really Bad Wireless Signal? (not 4G/3G)

Flandry

Reaction score
I've had my GN since launch and after some pretty extensive testing against my OG, I believe the CDMA radio reception in the GN is just a little weaker. In certain fringe areas (such as a state park camp site I've visited a number of times) where I can just barely get a signal with my Droid (1X only), I cannot get one at all with my Nexus.

This is my first phone with 4G, so I can't compare the LTE reception. But I will say that when I have a 4G signal I observe better building penetration of that signal, making me feel like the signal reception is actually superior.

The Wi-Fi reception also appears to be slightly weaker. In my home, there was no place I'd lose the signal with my OG, though there was one location where it was very, very weak. With my GN, I can lose the signal on infrequent occasion in that spot.

When I was considering the GN, I was very concerned about the radios after hearing much about how bad Samsung is with radios vs. how Motorola is among the best. After using the two, I'd take the Moto radios if I had a choice. That said, in actual real-world use, I find the GN only slightly inferior. For me, the performance of the GN is perfectly acceptable 99% of the time (helped by Verizon's good 4G coverage in my area). But I can see how this phone just wouldn't cut it for people already suffering from weak signals in their area, especially if Verizon also provides only spotty 4G coverage there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Htown315

Reaction score
Just came from vzw and I compared my dbm's to the razr,Max and d4. All the motos were at around -67dbm and I was at -90?? Then I ran speed tests twice in all phones and my nexus won every time. I am on 4.0.3 with 4.0.4 radios. The display nexus was at -87 and I beat that phone too. Weird. Tests were all on same server btw.

Another thing..when I reset my radios it goes to -75 , is this considered a perfect signal on the gnex where as i other phones go in the -60's? I can't remember ever seeing better than -75.

Last edited: