Just got my z force

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
They aren't available for the Z right now. I dropped mine on asphalt & gouged the outer layer. My only option right now is to send it in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
They don't tell you when you buy the moto z force just how easy it is to scratch the glass. They say that it's unbreakable and you don't think about scratches when they say it can't break..

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have to hold the phone a certain way to be able to type..it torques me off a little. Even a silicone sleeve would help lol..that sounds wrong.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
They don't tell you when you buy the moto z force just how easy it is to scratch the glass. They say that it's unbreakable and you don't think about scratches when they say it can't break..

By they, I assume you mean Verizon? Ever since shatter shield was introduced last year on the Turbo 2 Moto has done a good job of explaining the technology, how it works and that it is easy to scratch so always use a screen protector. Not all Verizon store reps are trained on new technology. The rep I always deal with is very knowledgeable and makes it her point to research all new phones. I was impressed with her knowledge of shatter shield when I looked at a Turbo 2 last year.

Technically you are not scratching the glass. It's a 5 layer system. The outer layer is called the lens. It's basically a thick flexible screen protector that's glued to the 4th layer underneath it. It's soft so it will scratch easily. Because it's soft it was designed to be user replaceable if you know how to apply it.

Gorilla glass is very strong and does not scratch easily. But it will shatter if dropped and hits just right.

Shatter shield screens are soft and flexible. They are designed to not shatter when dropped. But they will scratch.

It's a trade off to decide which suits each user's needs. Strong glass that doesn't scratch but does break, or a soft glass layered system that flexes & doesn't break but will scratch.

For more on shatter shield here is the official explanation:

Moto ShatterShield

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have to hold the phone a certain way to be able to type..it torques me off a little. Even a silicone sleeve would help lol..that sounds wrong.

I like the Incipio case.. It's a soft rubber case inside a harder plastic outer case. It has a nice feel to it and doesn't slip out of your hands. Verizon carries it... Mine is a nice ruby red.. but there are quite a few colors it comes in. I'll try to find the box and get the model# for you... You'd have to take it off to use the mods but it's not hers to get back on

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Here it is.. The Incipio case I was talking about
66404aec4fdf970aeb1405e34ec466b3.jpg

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
@94lt1 the case i was talking about is the one above from Amazon... You can look around and probably get it cheaper. If you got your phone at Verizon, you will probably get a discount if you also but you're case there

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
By they, I assume you mean Verizon? Ever since shatter shield was introduced last year on the Turbo 2 Moto has done a good job of explaining the technology, how it works and that it is easy to scratch so always use a screen protector. Not all Verizon store reps are trained on new technology. The rep I always deal with is very knowledgeable and makes it her point to research all new phones. I was impressed with her knowledge of shatter shield when I looked at a Turbo 2 last year.

Technically you are not scratching the glass. It's a 5 layer system. The outer layer is called the lens. It's basically a thick flexible screen protector that's glued to the 4th layer underneath it. It's soft so it will scratch easily. Because it's soft it was designed to be user replaceable if you know how to apply it.

Gorilla glass is very strong and does not scratch easily. But it will shatter if dropped and hits just right.

Shatter shield screens are soft and flexible. They are designed to not shatter when dropped. But they will scratch.

It's a trade off to decide which suits each user's needs. Strong glass that doesn't scratch but does break, or a soft glass layered system that flexes & doesn't break but will scratch.

For more on shatter shield here is the official explanation:

Moto ShatterShield

I read the explanation and the links you provided... That's really fascinating.. Now I understand! Thank you!

Sajo are you left handed by any chance. Just a random question( lol) nothing fresh!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nope, right handed. But now I'm curious, what made you ask?

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nope, right handed. But now I'm curious, what made you ask?

I always understand your explanations easily and it's frustratingly hard for me to understand "technical" things... I'm dyslexic and left handed and usually only understand difficult things if lefties explain them to me. Righties and lefties have very different thought processes and I have a hard time following righties... So I thought maybe... Or maybe not...I was very good at school very bright but I learned very young that i learned differently than others did. If I copied exactly what the teacher wrote on the board, I would have to" translate" it into my own format of thinking so i could actually learn it rather than just mindlessly memorizing it. So i rewrote my notes every night so it made it possible to study for larger tests with ease. In college, I studied with a bunch of guys that I demonstrated how I learned and the lefties understood and the righties had to work harder to understand my explanations. Over the years I've read a lot of psychology papers detailing this phenomenon and it made a lot of sense to me... Anyway, that's what I was referring to.. It's a good thing basically( and I'm more ambidextrous than pure left handed anyway) but I think more like a lefty when the subject is"hard" for me! Does that any sense?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes it does make sense @redbert31. I have read similar things in the past. Thanks for the compliment. Part of my job the past 30 years is explaining technical things to people, maybe that helps?

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yes it does make sense @redbert31. I have read similar things in the past. Thanks for the compliment. Part of my job the past 30 years is explaining technical things to people, maybe that helps?

Probably one reason you've been so helpful to me. I'm a righty -- You just do a wonderful job in explaining things. I never feel as if I'm talked down to or belittled when I'm stuck on something & you chime in to help. Kudos to you, @Sajo!

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score

It definitely does and thanks!

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Probably one reason you've been so helpful to me. I'm a righty -- You just do a wonderful job in explaining things. I never feel as if I'm talked down to or belittled when I'm stuck on something & you chime in to help. Kudos to you, @Sajo!

He does do a wonderful job no matter what hand he writes with( lol )

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Have you ever tried Swype( long enough to feel really comfortable with it) that way you hold the phone with your non dominant hand and move thru the keyboard thru the words you want to say with your dominant hand( the one you hold a pen in to write)

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Have you ever tried Swype( long enough to feel really comfortable with it) that way you hold the phone with your non dominant hand and move thru the keyboard thru the words you want to say with your dominant hand( the one you hold a pen in to write)

I use Swype exclusively, myself. Love it!