Where is the NFC Area on Moto Z Force?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Where is the NFC Area on Moto Z Force? I have tried to use the NFC to sync with devices that have NFC Pairing and it doesnt seem to want to. I have it turned on and NFC works on the other Devices since I tried it with My Droid Turbo. Is it Possible that the Incipio OffGrid Battery Mod is affecting it?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I would think that NFC would only work with no mods whatsoever snapped on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
NFC works through the style shell, but I would think that Sajo is probably right on the battery pack, speaker, projector, and other larger mods.

When using NFC, you have to touch the devices together. It'll trigger when you're a fraction of an inch away, but for best results, I always make contact.

I would assume that these larger mods don't let the NFC chip in the Z get close enough to the chip in other devices.

That said, it's up near the top of the Z, if I remember right.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
According to the Moto website, the NFC antenna on the Z series is right above the camera. I agree with Jonny, the larger / thicker mods probably interfere.

Edit: Pic from the Moto website.

48db5cf8bd1bc2e0de4cf0785e2e4d9f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It seems to only add about 1/4" at the Thickest Point on the Phone with Incipio OffGrid
2016-10-25_11-26-51_zpsczp5yff6.jpg

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Where is the NFC Area on Moto Z Force? I have tried to use the NFC to sync with devices that have NFC Pairing and it doesnt seem to want to. I have it turned on and NFC works on the other Devices since I tried it with My Droid Turbo. Is it Possible that the Incipio OffGrid Battery Mod is affecting it?
My moto z force NFC spot is right below the round camera area on the back of the phone right under where it says "droid"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I would think that NFC would only work with no mods whatsoever snapped on.

When I used the NFC spot, I took off the magnetic style panel on the back too.., but I don't think you have to remove it if you don't want to.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I used the NFC spot, I took off the magnetic style panel on the back too.., but I don't think you have to remove it if you don't want to.

It works with the style shell on. When I reset my 6P before selling my force, I set the 6P up by using nfc with the Z.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have Verified that I am unable to Use Android Pay or at least Pay with it having the Incipio OffGrid Moto Mod attached. I tried without the Moto Mod and i was able to make a Payment. This may be the Biggest Drawback I have seen so far with my Moto Z Force.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
NFC works through the style shell, but I would think that Sajo is probably right on the battery pack, speaker, projector, and other larger mods.

When using NFC, you have to touch the devices together. It'll trigger when you're a fraction of an inch away, but for best results, I always make contact.

I would assume that these larger mods don't let the NFC chip in the Z get close enough to the chip in other devices.

That said, it's up near the top of the Z, if I remember right.
The NFC spot is up near the round camera area on the back of the phone, where the word droid is placed.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the wiring & currents going through the battery pack interfere with the signal.

Kind of a shame they didn't take nfc into account & design around it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I agree... It would have been better planning

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Moto Z series even has NFC. At first I figured a phone with a metal back, heavy magnets and meant to snap on mod accessories would not be NFC compatible at all. I'm not surprised that NFC doesn't work with the battery mod, speaker mod or projector.