Otterbox Commuter .. TOO slippery

TechJPC

Reaction score
Just got my Commuter, fits well, however it is way too slippery for my liking. Does anyone know of any type of thin rubber (almost like a screen protector) that I would be able to put on the back of the case ? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Joe

OP
T

TechJPC

Reaction score
Not sure what you could put on it but maybe this if fits? Amazon.com: ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Samsung Galaxy Nexus Skin Protector Shield Full Body + Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacements: Cell Phones & Accessories

I know that the reason they made them like that is to slide in and out of your pant pockets a little easier.

Not looking to replace the Commuter. That thing looks slippery too. I understand about in and out of pockets which it IS very easy to do that, but I need just a hair more grip.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not looking to replace the Commuter. That thing looks slippery too. I understand about in and out of pockets which it IS very easy to do that, but I need just a hair more grip.

I was thinking you just use the back piece and attach it to the back of the commuter, and it might not be as slippery as the commuter backing. not really sure what there is to do without "damaging" the case/backplate of the phone like spraying rubber onto it (im not one to go that far).

was just a thought.

OP
T

TechJPC

Reaction score
There's a thread that was just started where a guy sprayed the phones battery door with rubber! :) Maybe you can do the same on the Otteelrbox!

Hmmm, seems like a "good" idea .. I'll have to check that out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm, seems like a "good" idea .. I'll have to check that out.
Plasti dip. I just did this to my car emblems but that's a different topic. It will be a rubber coating and it does peel off fairly easily so don't know if it will last putting it in and out your pocket. IF you go that route make sure the case dries for the recommended 4hrs before putting the phone in it and putting it in your pocket.

Last edited:

billoetjen

Reaction score
Possible solution...very cheap!

Friction Tape.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL9Z9NUyZQ2pvhUh_eVcf-SpJmylw4ThXhZuy9YRC-bjv8_O0y

It's the stuff that electricians used MANY years ago. In house wiring, they used to solder the bared wires together, then wrap in rubber insulating tape, which would then be covered in friction tape. It's also an ideal thing to use to add grip to a stickball bat.
More recently, I was having trouble holding on to guitar plectrums; they'd always slip and slide around and I never felt I had a good grip on it. Friction tape totally fixed that.

Recently I got a Galaxy s3 which has tons of usefulness, but it begged to be protected by a sturdy case. My old LG Optimus felt way sturdier and had a subtle non-slip surface. I used it over two years without a problem. It survived many drops to unforgiving surfaces. No way would I expect that from the Galaxy.

Enter the Otterbox Commuter. Nice design, nice execution. Even nice price-point.
However, I believe they coated it in teflon. No need to say more about that.

Enter Friction tape. Two strips across the back, making sure to cut the ends just long enough to tuck all the way around the edge of the case, and end just at the edge of the screen.

View attachment 65567
View attachment 65568

It might take a couple of attempts. Helps, too to press the ends of the tape firmly in place.

I'll give this arrangement a few days of normal use and report back.