How many actually got the OTA?

KevinJ

Reaction score
this is a bad april fools joke.:mad:
Well, it can't be, if people are getting it.

But for Hookbill - there probably is a pattern, but it would take some mucho extra digging around to find it.

We know that an update is going out to a finite number of phones. Now, because the number of phones able to receive the OTA is known (maybe not exactly, but...) it cannot be a random update. For it to be random would mean that there is an infinite number of phones out there. :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

But for Hookbill - there probably is a pattern, but it would take some mucho extra digging around to find it.

We know that an update is going out to a finite number of phones. Now, because the number of phones able to receive the OTA is known (maybe not exactly, but...) it cannot be a random update. For it to be random would mean that there is an infinite number of phones out there. :)

Uh, no. Random selection does not require an infinite population. But even if there is a pattern initially designed into the update I strongly suspect the outcome approximates a random outcome. I suspect, for example, that multiple servers are used to download the updates and that's only the beginning of the variables that determine when a particular OTA update is installed. Taken together, the various variables will resemble a random pattern.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I've been through enough Verizon updates to guarantee there is no pattern. It's totally random. But you keep looking, if you find something let me know. :)

vulnak88

Reaction score

you would think verizon and motorola would do better than this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we are getting off topic, and when I say we I include myself. The question is how many people got the update OTA, not when will I get it, chances of getting it or how it's distributed.

vulnak88

Reaction score
I think we are getting off topic, and when I say we I include myself. The question is how many people got the update OTA, not when will I get it, chances of getting it or how it's distributed.
very true.

mrragamufin773

Reaction score
I'm starting to think ppl love to complain. First everybody was complaining about how long it was taking to release it now ppl are complaining about how long its taking to get to their phone COME ON!!! There are millions of Droid users out their and I'm sure their coming as fast as they can. Now can we please have a thread without a chain reaction of negativity?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think ppl love to complain. First everybody was complaining about how long it was taking to release it now ppl are complaining about how long its taking to get to their phone COME ON!!! There are millions of Droid users out their and I'm sure their coming as fast as they can. Now can we please have a thread without a chain reaction of negativity?

People do love to complain. But that's not the topic either.

Back on topic or it will be time to close the thread. I'm trying to give you guys a chance to have another 2.1 thread here.

Sal

Reaction score
An interesting note: I got a tweet from Droid Life today. It linked to a quote from an official Motorola statement released today finally acknowledging the update, apologizing for the delay, and saying that it would roll out over "the next few weeks." (that's the phrase!) Thus, this thread could be active for a long time. Unless they're just trying to lower time expectations....

Bassgreg

Reaction score
I receive my Droid 15 mins after the store opened on the release day. I am in Washington State patiently waiting for my OTA update.

Greg

huskur

Reaction score
I was told by VZW tech support that the OTA's come out by date of purchase. Someone that bought a droid yesterday WILL NOT get the update before the first droid purchased. Then again maybe he wanted to get me off the phone. We had a nice conversation though and i do not think that was the case.

I am waiting for the 2.1 on my wifes droid. I already have mine. Courtesy of Blackdroid and his team. I have compared my features and speed with theirs and i win hands down, no questions asked.

martin9752

Reaction score
For those of you who got the OTA update what does your menus say when going into "about your phone". I did a force update and have to return this phone for a refurb. I need to know if I should revert back to stock OS or not. In model number is says "droid", firmware verzion "2.0-update1", Baseband Version C_01.3E.03P, Kernel Version "2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26#1", build number ESE81.

ralphtrent

Reaction score
For those of you who got the OTA update what does your menus say when going into "about your phone". I did a force update and have to return this phone for a refurb. I need to know if I should revert back to stock OS or not. In model number is says "droid", firmware verzion "2.0-update1", Baseband Version C_01.3E.03P, Kernel Version "2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26#1", build number ESE81.
allthough off topic, here are my two cents. I would revert to stock just to cover yourself. If your phone specs do match an OTA specs, and they check to see if your phone was NOT eligable for an OTA before you called for the referb, you may have issues. Probably not, but its better safe then sorry.

D-Roid

Reaction score
Sorry if off topic...
So tonight 200,000 updates get pushed, what if 10,000 of those are users here that manually updated. Those 10000 will get no notification tonight then. Will the update then seek out an additional 10,000 users?